+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shadow problem

Shadowlander

Default Shadow problem

Has anyone noticed when you have shadows on that there is a very definitive line on the ground when you are moving where the shadows are filtered differently and the shadow doesn't line up?

Is there a way to fix this?

Shadowlander

Bump for an answer.

Soulwalker

Yes, I've noticed this too. I turned off shadows because it was so annoying.

Soulwalker

bump.......

Shadowlander

Well at least I'm not the only one. I've mentioned this several times in general chat and noone was really responding here so I thought maybe it was my setup.

At least I no longer have to go crazy trying to find a setting to fix it.

Did you turn up Shadow Resolution to the highest setting, that made it far less of a problem for me and cleaned up the shadows nicely. Curiously, I noticed no performance impact.

ShadowMapResolution = 2
    ShadowMode = 2

Same here as well.

Turned shadows off as well because it was irritating me.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldebar View Post
    Did you turn up Shadow Resolution to the highest setting, that made it far less of a problem for me and cleaned up the shadows nicely. Curiously, I noticed no performance impact.

ShadowMapResolution = 2
    ShadowMode = 2
    I checked and I already have these settings set. I have tried every possible combo as well and nothing seems to make a difference except having shadows off completely.

Shadowlander

Yes me too. I stand about 10 feet from some boxes in-game and walk forwards and backwards and you can see the line where the shadows become more detailed then lass detailed as i walk backwards....I've tweaked every setting but they have no effect. This is VERY distracting as I keep thinking something is moving as I'm running around questing. Not real happy with the engine at this point, and I'm feeling let down the more I play because I notice more and more weird issues like this.

Edit: I am also noticing that effects such as the fog in caves is appearing intermitantly on both mine and my girlfriends machines at random. Another good example of this type of effect is the AE effect from the Hag's cauldrons in the canyons zones...anyone else getting this?

I'm seeing my spells more though...so that's a bonus. They aren't disappearing as much anymore. This could be because of general zone population though as there are less people in the higher level areas.
    Last edited by Echoplex; 03-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Shadowlander

I just noticed that there is actually 2 lines.

One is about 10-20 feet out and then there is another about 40-50+ Almost like there are fields of shadow resolution and they aren't blending properly or at all.

What's Object Detail Range set at? Test it out, it may be linked to shadow range detail, etc.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldebar View Post
    What's Object Detail Range set at? Test it out, it may be linked to shadow range detail, etc.
    I Tried everything and nothing changed the shadow lines....try it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoplex View Post
    I Tried everything and nothing changed the shadow lines....try it for yourself.
    I don't have the issue.

wow, im glad im not the only one, just got a new computer and thought it was a graphics card problem

anyone have any ideas how to fix it?, i to have tried to change every setting to see what fixed it

any devs wanna try and figure it out?

Soulwalker

I see this issue as well. It's the shadow resolution. It's really low and "wavy" at a distance and increases very noticeably when it gets close. As previously mentioned, and there are two lines. The fact that this change happens in perfect horizontal lines makes it very obvious and annoying.

Video card is ATI 5850 using 11.2 drivers
    Latest DirectX drivers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast