+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyboard error

Default Keyboard error

I looked around the forum, but didn't see anyone else having this problem so I'll post it myself. After the patch on 2/26 I haven't been able to log on due to key doubling. (Every time I hit a key it types it twice ["A" becomes "Aa"].) I've checked my keyboard settings and it's not that, it checks out just fine. I've tried running other programs and nothing is wrong. This only happens in Rift. I uninstalled the game, then re-downloaded it off Steam and updated and it still does it. Since Trion's customer service is closed on the weekends, I'm sh*t out of luck until Monday when, judging by all the posts here, they're going to be totally swamped.

I've got a ticket open with them, but as I said above, it's the weekend. I thought maybe someone here has the same problem and might know a trick or two to fix it. Here's my DxDiag file, that ought to give you guys a bit of help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jenneke; 02-27-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Ascendant

Some things to try.

Reboot, unplug your keyboard & plug it back in, reboot if it's PS2.

Pull up a text file & type in your username/password. Copy/paste (Ctrl v) it into the textfields on the Rift login screen.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Unplugged, rebooted and replugged, still didn't work. The copy/past trick did work, although not being able to enter my username and password normally is still a major issue. Oh I'm not sure it matters much, and it's in the DxDiag file, but I'm using a Saitek Eclipse I keyboard.

Temp Fix found:
    Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Pull up a text file & type in your username/password. Copy/paste (Ctrl v) it into the textfields on the Rift login screen.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneke View Post
    Unplugged, rebooted and replugged, still didn't work. The copy/past trick did work, although not being able to enter my username and password normally is still a major issue. Oh I'm not sure it matters much, and it's in the DxDiag file, but I'm using a Saitek Eclipse I keyboard.

Temp Fix found:
    Yeah that's a strange one, I've never seen that before. Try using a different keyboard mabye?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Plugged in an old HP USB keyboard, still got the double entry errors.

*edit*: Tried rebooting with new keyboard, same results.
    Last edited by Jenneke; 02-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.

I thought this update was worthy of a new post rather than a simple update.

Fired up Rift just now and there's a new patch available. (35.7 MB) Downloaded using the copy/paste trick C-Buzz suggested, but it still didn't fix the problem.

*edit*: Tried logging on using the copy/paste trick, made it in-game, but it locked up at any key press. If I alt-tab'ed out, it would go back to normal, until I hit another key.
    Example: Hit "M" key to pull up map; freeze; alt-tab out and back; no map on screen; click map button on minimap; freeze; alt-tab again; come back and the map is finally up.

I ended up going through the Task Manager to end the program since I couldn't do anything in-game.

Oh, and it wasn't lag, I had a ping of 96 ms and was getting 34 fps in the brief time I was in-game.
    Last edited by Jenneke; 02-27-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Intel i5 650 @ 3.2GHz
    8 GB DDR3 1333
    ATI RADEON HD 5770
    Win 7 x64

Dang. You should get a prize for having a unique issue. Congrats! I mean, if that's what you were going for.

As for a fix, does your keyboard use a special driver, or does it load any interface software for any special functions it does? I'm not familiar with Saitek, so I have no idea. But if it does have special software/drivers, maybe you need to configure them in some way so that they don't try to do anything special when Rift is running.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHouse View Post
    Dang. You should get a prize for having a unique issue. Congrats! I mean, if that's what you were going for.

As for a fix, does your keyboard use a special driver, or does it load any interface software for any special functions it does? I'm not familiar with Saitek, so I have no idea. But if it does have special software/drivers, maybe you need to configure them in some way so that they don't try to do anything special when Rift is running.
    I'd gladly pass on that prize if I could...
    As for drivers, nope, just standard HID keyboard drivers. It doesn't have any special buttons, other than 1 button that controls the backlight, lol.
    Intel i5 650 @ 3.2GHz
    8 GB DDR3 1333
    ATI RADEON HD 5770
    Win 7 x64

Shadowlander

Try running it in Windowed Mode and Running as Administrator (Vista and windows 7, Right click Shortcut Run as a Admin).

If the error is limited just to the game and not Notepad or likes then i would be surprised if it was a generic issue like drivers.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneke View Post
    I looked around the forum, but didn't see anyone else having this problem so I'll post it myself. After the patch on 2/26 I haven't been able to log on due to key doubling. (Every time I hit a key it types it twice ["A" becomes "Aa"].) I've checked my keyboard settings and it's not that, it checks out just fine. I've tried running other programs and nothing is wrong. This only happens in Rift. I uninstalled the game, then re-downloaded it off Steam and updated and it still does it. Since Trion's customer service is closed on the weekends, I'm sh*t out of luck until Monday when, judging by all the posts here, they're going to be totally swamped.

I've got a ticket open with them, but as I said above, it's the weekend. I thought maybe someone here has the same problem and might know a trick or two to fix it. Here's my DxDiag file, that ought to give you guys a bit of help.
    they are responding to tech issues thru email takes a day though 4 responce

The only other thing I can suggest is to see if changing the game options changes how the keyboard works in Rift, and it's still a long shot.

Under Settings -> Interface -> Action Bars, look for the checkbox marked "Use abilities on keypress" Try unchecking that and/or checking it. It should tell Rift whether to read the key when you press it or when you let it up. Maybe something got confused and it's reading it both times.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jinxster View Post
    they are responding to tech issues thru email takes a day though 4 responce
    Thank you Captain Obvious, but my ticket has been open for about 2 days now. Not to mention the small detail that they're CLOSED on the weekend.

Ugh, enough raging.

Weird story now, my system just BSOD'd, saw the screen flash on from where I was sleeping. Came over but didn't catch the error code unfortunately. Rebooted, system started, then died. First thought was oh hell, did it overheat? Then it kicked back on and it's been having no trouble. Checked the event logs for my temp monitors, and nothing went above 45c, so no answers on that end. However, I noticed that Rift's icon had reset to the standard white box, so I reset it to actually show something and started it up.

The key doubling was gone! I logged in, and everything seems to be back to normal. I don't know what the f*ck happened, and I'm not ruling out the possibility that this was a fluke sucess, but for the moment, Rift is working again.
    Intel i5 650 @ 3.2GHz
    8 GB DDR3 1333
    ATI RADEON HD 5770
    Win 7 x64

+ Reply to Thread