+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multicore

Soulwalker

Default Multicore

Ok ok I didnt do beta and I've been playing this game for like a day, and it is quite beautiful, sans the minor bugs produced by server lag. Also I'm not super technical, so bear with me.

On that note, I was wondering, rift SEEMS to be running on only 1-2 core on my computer for the most part, and due to that I cont run supersampling, not that thats important, but also there is also occasional lag for no good reason in some areas (I can fight with like 10 other players in a rift just fine, but walking along a path by myself, nothing in sight, bam! 15fps.

Just wondering if I'm crazy and if I can get my comp to do more, It annoyed me in wow as well on limited core usage.

Also evry setting is on highest cept supersampling and partcles cause they are too pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjarri View Post
    Ok ok I didnt do beta and I've been playing this game for like a day, and it is quite beautiful, sans the minor bugs produced by server lag. Also I'm not super technical, so bear with me.

On that note, I was wondering, rift SEEMS to be running on only 1-2 core on my computer for the most part, and due to that I cont run supersampling, not that thats important, but also there is also occasional lag for no good reason in some areas (I can fight with like 10 other players in a rift just fine, but walking along a path by myself, nothing in sight, bam! 15fps.

Just wondering if I'm crazy and if I can get my comp to do more, It annoyed me in wow as well on limited core usage.

Also evry setting is on highest cept supersampling and partcles cause they are too pretty.
    Don't know your specs, but the info below will still apply.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Technical-FAQ

Has the game been optimized for multi core processors?

This list is not all inclusive but covers some big ticket items that eat up FPS, the in-game AA is a huge drain, but I choose to use it because I like the visual quality it gives. The following list assumes you aren't trying or wanting to run in Low Render mode:

Turn VSYNC off, it caps FPS to Refresh Rate and often halves FPS if your PC can't meet the refresh rate...

Shadows, they look great but they might be an FPS Killer depending on your system.

Disable Multi-pass terrain...

Turn off Full Screen Effect...

Tick Lighting down a few notches, 6...

Don't run Shader Quality at max, 8 is nice. But Experiment!

Clutter Density 3...

Clutter Radius no more than 100...

Of possible benefit: Put this line into your Rift.cfg: AmbientOcclusion = 0 (this might be snake oil, but in Beta there used to be this config entry, I think it's still there and eating Frames. Disable! (won't hurt anything)

Do not use AF, the in game AF is for some reason more demanding than AF usually is...turn it off.

Other things to trim FPS drain:

Consider Running game at a lower resolution, test it, see if your FPS improves. (You can rescale the UI in the game settings so it's not HUGE if you do this.)

Run game in Full Screen Mode, not windows.

In the nVidia Control Panel make sure every thing is set for Application Controlled. (if you see Ambient Occlusion on, turn it off)

Give that go, see what happens.

Obviously, please make sure you have all your updates:

DirectX 9: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html

Also, any chipset drivers that are applicable to your system.

Run Windows Update, etc.
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-27-2011 at 02:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread