+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Display driver has stopped responding.......

Default Display driver has stopped responding.......

This is the laptop I'm using http://support.gateway.com/s/noteboo...9/P79sp3.shtml
    windows 7, 64 bit extreme dual-core processor 4 gigs of ram

Since I started playing rift in beta, at random my screen would black out and come back with this error message

"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.58 and has Stopped responding and has Successfully recovered"

Since, then this message has become more frequent and been happening even while waiting in queue, and window is minimized, so far if game is closed completely i haven't seen this problem except for once.

This is the latest driver for my card and the old driver was uninstalled.
    is my graphics card dying due to the overheating caused by rift? or is there some software issue?
    I contacted Gateway customer support and he instructed me to Do a windows recovery,
    I haven't done so as I'm unconvinced this will solve my issue.
    Last edited by Phantam; 02-27-2011 at 01:48 PM.

anyone have any information? this is now happening to frequent to play properly or even at all :/
    Only now im not getting the error messages just blacks out and then 2 secs and comes back
    Last edited by Phantam; 02-27-2011 at 02:29 PM.

I'm having the exact same problem waiting for Devs to acknowledge 100s of compaints.

My GPU was crashing, game would freeze and then go blank, and I'd get Driver has been reset error in windows task bar, of course game would crash.

This happened 6 times, not before but after SP1 RTM was installed. It's gone away since uninstalling it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...9+game+crashes

Lot of stuff going on, now if you aren't using SP1...

What's your power settings in Windows?

Try High Performance..

Here's from an old post of mine in this forum:
    The driver reset can be caused by heat and other issues of course, but more often than not it can be caused by a glitch with windows power controls.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...vlddmkm-Error/

And, it isn't just ATI GPU's...I used to have this issue with my last 2 ATI cards, I resolved it by changing my Power settings. Go figure.

Essentially:

"Go to control panel, power options. Pick whatever plan you use, then go to change plan settings. From there click the change advanced power options.

Go to PCI express drop down, link state power management. Turn this OFF. "

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldebar View Post
    My GPU was crashing, game would freeze and then go blank, and I'd get Driver has been reset error in windows task bar, of course game would crash.

This happened 6 times, not before but after SP1 RTM was installed. It's gone away since uninstalling it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...9+game+crashes

Lot of stuff going on, now if you aren't using SP1...

What's your power settings in Windows?

Try High Performance..

Here's from an old post of mine in this forum:
    Tried your advice. I uninstalled Windows SP1 and I checked to see/confirm I was running on High Performance.

Still is not working for me. But I get disconnect/Report spam after 3-5 SECONDS of seeing my character.

Other threads said this may have to do with video card throttling and certain light effects; I know on the Guardian side, after some tests, I can stay on a bit longer, but I have to RUN from the start point. Since the Defiant side has more visual effects going, I crash out more easier.

I fixed this exact same problem by removing a very old version of physx drivers... physx runs off your GPU, and can be a culprit in what you're seeing.

The problem you are seeing is called Timeout Detection and Recovery in windows, and is a problem introduced in windows Vista/7.

There is a very long history of ******** and denial between nvidia and microsoft around this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NoxDragon View Post
    I fixed this exact same problem by removing a very old version of physx drivers... physx runs off your GPU, and can be a culprit in what you're seeing.

The problem you are seeing is called Timeout Detection and Recovery in windows, and is a problem introduced in windows Vista/7.

There is a very long history of ******** and denial between nvidia and microsoft around this issue.
    Yeah the default timeout detection on my computer was at 7 seconds, although most said theres was 2 secs, I tried increasing it to 8 secs it didnt help, I'm now in the process of a windows recovery as gateway TS told me to do. Ill check out the physx driver when I reinstall all my drivers
    Last edited by Phantam; 02-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
    Tried your advice. I uninstalled Windows SP1 and I checked to see/confirm I was running on High Performance.

Still is not working for me. But I get disconnect/Report spam after 3-5 SECONDS of seeing my character.

Other threads said this may have to do with video card throttling and certain light effects; I know on the Guardian side, after some tests, I can stay on a bit longer, but I have to RUN from the start point. Since the Defiant side has more visual effects going, I crash out more easier.
    Try running game with VSYNC on...seems odd, but may just help resolve this problem til things get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by NoxDragon View Post

Im confused this is whats on the Nvidia Site
    Version:

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista
    Language:

English (U.S.)
    File Size:

32.4 MB
    Nvid

This is what my computer has. Version 9.10.0514

how did I get a later version?

Shadowlander

I found the solution for ATI cards it might help out Nvidia cards as well if they have the issue as well...

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post1378982

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheral View Post
    I found the solution for ATI cards it might help out Nvidia cards as well if they have the issue as well...

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post1378982
    Is This the fix your talking about ?

There is a Fix... At least it seemed to work for me. What appears to be happening is the ATI GPU DeadLock protection is being triggered. Which you can disable (but will have to re-disable on each restart)

Instructions for Win 7 because it's what I'm running and can not verify how to do it else where.

Start -> In the search bar type "Verifier" -> Display Information About Currently Verified Drivers -> Add -> For the filename type "amdkmdap" -> Open -> Change -> Uncheck DeadLock Detection -> Ok -> Next -> Next -> Finish

Hope this helps.

Intel 2.6 Dual Core (not core2)
    2GB Ram
    ATI 3850
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows Pro 7

I also used driver sweeper to get rid of my old drivers and reinstalled the 11.2 drivers.
    I just tried this with the exception of the file amdkmdap I instead used Nvlddmkm.sys as thats for the nvidia driver

I will Let you guys know if this works.

Soulwalker

make sure all firewall and antivirus are off.

There is a Fix... At least it seemed to work for me. What appears to be happening is the ATI GPU DeadLock protection is being triggered. Which you can disable (but will have to re-disable on each restart)

Instructions for Win 7 because it's what I'm running and can not verify how to do it else where.

Start -> In the search bar type "Verifier" -> Display Information About Currently Verified Drivers -> Add -> For the filename type "amdkmdap" -> Open -> Change -> Uncheck DeadLock Detection -> Ok -> Next -> Next -> Finish

Hope this helps.

Intel 2.6 Dual Core (not core2)
    2GB Ram
    ATI 3850
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows Pro 7

I also used driver sweeper to get rid of my old drivers and reinstalled the 11.2 drivers.
    THIS IS NOT A FIX. At least not for the Nvidia drivers, it seemed to be working fine for long time then when my screen went black it did not recover. I did a manual reboot, then everything seemed fine till I got in windows and all i could see was my cursor, everything else was black, so I had to boot windows from my recovery disk.

I got a response from Trion they want me to create DXDIAG log then they will look further into this situation.
    Last edited by Phantam; 02-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.

You have a bad video card, my friend, I hope you can RMA.

I had the same experience with a hd 5870.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

I've been having this the last few days too and it's just getting worse, ATI card, I'm not so tech savvy but I tried the verifier thing suggested earlier in the thread and discovered there was no amdkmdap to add...so I can't even try that and yes that is the one that stops responding, it's driving me crazy, I don't really know what to do...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast