+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI question

Default ATI question

How hot should these cards get? im running crossfire 5870 's. Liquid cooled CPU , but my cards are hitting close to 90 c under full load with everything maxed. i had never checked the heat issue before until i heatd over heating issues. not having any issues though. anyone know?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Wifeagro View Post
    How hot should these cards get? im running crossfire 5870 's. Liquid cooled CPU , but my cards are hitting close to 90 c under full load with everything maxed. i had never checked the heat issue before until i heatd over heating issues. not having any issues though. anyone know?
    My two 6970's are running 105c in Rift. Fans 100%.
    They run ~70c in every other game.
    Game needs a fix.

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by sophee View Post
    Game needs a fix.
    you're nuts to run your 2 6970's at 105.. thats asking for dead video cards lol

Game needs a fix.
    ya something has changed in the live client i dont remember my cards getting hotter then 70

Shadowlander

anything over 90c and your damaging the board... That said I ran my Nvidia 6800 Ultra over 90c (while gaming) for several years with no problems (other then a few artifacts now and again)

Just understand you are doing damage while doing that.

Also them running that hot just means that rift is intensive on them not that they need a fix.

Back off on the settings and they'll cool right back down.
    Last edited by Mytheral; 02-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Soulwalker

Default ATI cards

Yeah,

I've had two or three hard shut downs within 10 mins of playing the game. I have an ATI 5970 + 5870 but until there is a patch/fix, I won't risk damage to my hardware.

Plane Walker

Game needs a fix.
    Whoa, major problem there, not good.

My 5850 is overlocked way past a stock 5870 and with fans at 65% I get up to about 85 max.
    "Ye have the stench of WoW about ya boy! It's the foul odor of sour e-peen and DPS parsers! Cleanse yourself first and then we'll talk!"

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathonm View Post
    Yeah,

I've had two or three hard shut downs within 10 mins of playing the game. I have an ATI 5970 + 5870 but until there is a patch/fix, I won't risk damage to my hardware.
    Good idea to stop playing. Running a video card at 90c wont damage anything but running over 100 most certainly will damage the video cards. At the very least it will significantly lower the life span of the cards. I can't believe some people are willingly playing this game when they know their hardware is pushing 105c..
    Last edited by Zab; 02-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Rift Chaser

Here is what I have found out. Running 2x6970's:

When Crossfired:
    GPU1: 100% GPU, 105c, FAN 100% <-wtf
    GPU2: 68% GPU, 72c, FAN 80%
    ~80fps

When 2nd card disabled:
    GPU1: 86% GPU, 86c, FAN 38%
    GPU2: 0% GPU, 58c, FAN 29%
    ~80fps

5 series really shouldn't be running that hot. I am guessing your PCI-E slots are positioned in such a way that those cards are really sandwiched in, so what I would suggest is enhancing your case cooling and maybe using some spot coolers.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheral View Post
    anything over 90c and your damaging the board... That said I ran my Nvidia 6800 Ultra over 90c (while gaming) for several years with no problems (other then a few artifacts now and again)

Just understand you are doing damage while doing that.

Also them running that hot just means that rift is intensive on them not that they need a fix.

Back off on the settings and they'll cool right back down.
    No... it's not. Stop spreading BS. If it's rated to ran at up to 105c or even 120c before throttling why would running it at 90c damage it? It's rated to run at that from the manufacturer, or do they all have it wrong?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

I know my 5870 is rated higher than 90C. That's pretty toasty for my tastes but it's still within the safe range. My card maxes out at 70C on stock speeds while playing, about the same as Crysis or Farcry 2. Performance is also bad in many places.

Shadowlander

Game needs a fix.
    You need to back off on your settings. Remember Rift was designed to be around awhile and thus the graphics at Max right now will tax even two cards. Two years from now maybe not, but today yes.

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    5 series really shouldn't be running that hot. I am guessing your PCI-E slots are positioned in such a way that those cards are really sandwiched in, so what I would suggest is enhancing your case cooling and maybe using some spot coolers.
    Apparently its not just the 5 series that's doing this. i've seen posts where people are runing xfire 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx cards all having the same issue.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    No... it's not. Stop spreading BS. If it's rated to ran at up to 105c or even 120c before throttling why would running it at 90c damage it? It's rated to run at that from the manufacturer, or do they all have it wrong?
    Wrong. According to ATI the 6970 is rated at a maximum operating temp of 104c. Now that is the Maximum. They are not saying this is the safe operating temp, this is the cards maximum. Running at the maximum for sustained periods of time are not recommended.

For example, your car's engine temperature max is 300f however no mechanic will recommend running your car at 300f all the time.

For video card or any other electrical component, running at sustained high temperatures can lead to excessive wear and possible damage in the long term. It also reduces the longevity of the card.

In the end, there is a reason why overclocking is allowed with an "At your own risk" disclaimer. ATI has an entire team of engineers that design these cards for a living, I would tend to trust them more than the opinions of the at home armchair overclockers who do this on a few systems at most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast