+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UI + Keybinds not working all the time

Shadowlander

Default UI + Keybinds not working all the time

Ok, this is a problem that really causes me trouble. I set up multiple bars onscreen and keybound my abilities to them with many using a shift modifier. Now here is the problem, When shift is held down I can use the keybound ability several times before it quits working and many times it will cast an ability keybound to the same key that doesn't use a modifier (shift). What I have to do is to repress both keys for the ability to work again and many times ( I always press Shift first) it casts the ability that does not use a modifier. The UI just feels very clunky by the way it handles modifiers + keybinds.

Example: I have 2 abilities bound to middle mouse button
    Ability 1: Middle mouse button
    Ability 2: Shift + Middle mouse button

I have a tendancy to hold shift down a lot while moving around. I clicked off the default box that uses abilities upon keypress since this makes it so I can't use the modifier unless I take my finger off Shift and repress both keys at the exact same time which causes much trouble in pvp for example.

I hope this is the place to post this concern since I couldn't find a bug posting forum.
    Last edited by Gally; 02-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Shadowlander

I would go as far as to say this problem is prevalent with everyone but they just don't notice or care.

I would like to hear from PvPers if they have noticed this issue since pvpers mostly keybind their abilities where it is isn't really necessary in PvE.

I don't PvP, but i make extensive use of modifier keys + mousebutton keybinds, and this problem is about to drive me nuts. Sometimes the game will recognize a modifier press, sometimes it won't. I've tried completely releasing the modifier key and waiting for the GCD to completely expire, tried switching from power execution on button press to button release, tried resetting the toolbar slots to default and rebinding, and absolutely nothing seems to make a difference. The game will always recognize the unmodified button (mousebutton 4, for instance), but it will only sometimes recognize the use of a modifier with it (shift, alt, or ctrl). So, sometimes my keybinds work, and other times i'm stuck miscasting whatever is in the slot without modifiers/having to go back to clicking. I sincerely can't seem to figure out why this is occurring, but it blows...hard.

Borderline gamebreaking bug...

BUG:
    With an action bar bound to shift+anything or ctrl+anything - occasionally it fails to cast and will continue to fail to cast on future key presses until the modifier key is reapplied.

TEST CASE:

Action Button 1:
    BINDING: Mouse4
    CONTENTS:
    cast [shift] AbilityB
    cast AbilityA

Action Button 2:
    BINDING: Shift+Mouse4
    CONTENTS:
    cast AbilityC

--------------------------

Expected Outcome:

Mouse4 >> AbilityA casts
    Shift+Mouse4 >> AbilityC casts (since the action bar takes priority over macros)

--------------------------

Actual Outcome:

Mouse4 >> AbilityA casts
    Shift+Mouse4 >> AbilityC casts at least once as expected. However, after a random number of presses (and quite possibly on the first press, though I've never experienced that) - AbilityB will begin to cast instead of AbilityC.

-------------------------------

Meaning...

The UI appears to be designed in such a way that tracking modifiers is handled separately for action bars and macros. Lets assume that the flow looks something like this:

GAME REGISTERS KEY-PRESS
    GAME LOCATES BINDING (including any modifiers, such as shift) *
    GAME PERFORMS ACTION IN THAT BINDING

MACRO SYSTEM TAKES OVER
    MACRO SYSTEM PARSES MACRO
    MACRO SYSTEM CHECKS FOR MODIFIERS AS NEEDED **

* This part seems bugged, and occasionally failing to cast the proper binding
    ** This part works properly 100% of the time (the Macro system)

------------------------------

NOTE:
    The action button visually stays "active" (lit, as in the binding is currently held down) when this bug occurs, and remains active until you fix the bug by pressing a different modifier (so if you get it stuck on shift, pressing control). This leads me to believe the following scenario is most likely:

The binding system likely tracks events for each binding. So say, Action Button 2 binding is tracked as "binding up, binding down."

The bug appears to be causing the following to happen.

SHIFT + MOUSE4 PRESSED
    > ACTION BUTTON 2 DOWN
    MOUSE4 RELEASED
    > ACTION BUTTON 2 UP
    MOUSE4 PRESSED
    > ACTION BUTTON 2 DOWN
    MOUSE4 RELEASED
    >.>
    MOUSE4 PRESSED
    >.> (no action, because the UI believes that ACTION BUTTON 2 has been held down this entire time)
    Last edited by Virance; 03-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Soulwalker

Wow I just came across this thread. I had made a thread but it seems you guys have dug a lot deeper into this.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post1510018

Definitely a game breaking bug for me. I pretty much only use the keyboard for movement W,A,S,D. All my abilities are mapped to the mouse buttons and couple of easily reached keys like Q & E. Being able to use modifiers is absolutely crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Taantric View Post
    Wow I just came across this thread. I had made a thread but it seems you guys have dug a lot deeper into this.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post1510018

Definitely a game breaking bug for me. I pretty much only use the keyboard for movement W,A,S,D. All my abilities are mapped to the mouse buttons and couple of easily reached keys like Q & E. Being able to use modifiers is absolutely crucial.
    This is exactly my problem. I tend to bind quite a lot of my powers/abilities . Not being able to use modifier keys/not being able to rely on modifier keys working is not an option for me. I'm sincerely hoping this gets fixed (the sooner the better).

Soulwalker

I heal with my mouse plus modifiers. It's making my job as a healer very very painful.

Just wanted to reiterate that the macro system does not experience this bug. For now you can get around it by creating

#show SpellOne
    cast [ctrl] SpellThree
    cast [shift] SpellTwo
    cast SpellOne

It's time consuming, tedious to change, but for now it's our only choice

Soulwalker

Hi

I'm using Razer Diamondback 3g have experience the same thing it's driving me mad.

all shift+ anymouse button the spell icon on the actionbar just stays depressed and not casting. Or it cast the spell assingned to just the mouse button. (i.e wrong spell ).

I have always relied on key binds over clicking it's just the way I enjoy MMO games. But this is starting to annoy me alot and higher I go the harder it is with more spell becoming available.

Please fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Virance View Post
    Just wanted to reiterate that the macro system does not experience this bug. For now you can get around it by creating

#show SpellOne
    cast [ctrl] SpellThree
    cast [shift] SpellTwo
    cast SpellOne

It's time consuming, tedious to change, but for now it's our only choice
    Thank you a million times over; this works flawlessly (well, it throws an occasional "You can not cast more than one spell with a macro" error text, but it functions perfectly). I added a line for [alt] as well as some @mouseover and all is working as it should be. Although it is a bit time consuming to set up, this workaround just made my Rift gaming much more enjoyable. Again, thank you.

* Fixed mousebutton 3, 4, and 5 + a keyboard modifier key (SHIFT, ALT, CTRL) not working very well when bound to an action bar.
    * Also fixed mousebutton 3, 4, and 5 hiding the cursor.

Looks like our reports have been heard and addressed (patch notes for the new test server)

Also:
    * The macro system now supports the /suppressmacrofailures command, which will block the "Can only cast one ability per macro" and other messages generated by any commands following the /suppressmacrofailures entry.
    * A macro's #show will now work after training up ranks in a #show'n ability.

So @mouseover can be used without causing the failures now

Can't wait for this patch to go live!

+ Reply to Thread