+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift killing graphics cards?

Soulwalker

Default Rift killing graphics cards?

I have played in 4 out of 7 Rift betas, with no problems at all. Retail came out, I played it for about 2 hours until I noticed red boxes/dots appearing all over the computer screen, only when playing rift, I would tab out of rift and they would disappear. I was monitoring the temperature while playing and it would only get up to 80C average of 70C, with the fan speed set to 80%.

Computer specs:
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    6 GB RAM
    Win 7 64bit

(note; Nothing is overclocked)
    I have two screens hooked up, a 25" and a 19". So that means it is not my screen doing it.

At the time playing I had 10.11 graphics driver, I updated to 11.2 and still had the same problem. I kept playing even tho of all the annoying red boxes/dots on the screen for about another hour then I got a Display Driver has crashed. After the crash the red dots appeared everywhere. (even when I tab out of rift)
    Screenshot of the red boxes/dots:
    http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8...title1111d.png

I ordered a Radeon 6950. (waiting for it to get here) Rift is a very fun game I would like to continue playing it but I am scared that it might kill my new card.

My friend also has a HD 4850, and his just completely stopped working after about 8 hours of playing rift.

Soulwalker

Yea....that's overheating. The 4800 series is known for running extremely hot, the 4850s can hit 90c during even light gaming. I had one long ago, killed by Hellgate London.

Games are not to blame in these situations, its the driver software being too stupid to realize its catching on fire. If the user isnt aware of whats going on and lowers settings significantly then the software should always handle that.
    Last edited by Spathotan; 02-27-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Basically your card wasn't cooled enough , and rift came , pushed it to 100% ( that she is suposed to give without a problem ) and she failed , this doesn't show that rift killed your card, BUT it shows your card was badly cooled and had a overheating problem.

too bad that rift is using the cards to 100% ... seems some users have gpus so badly cooled that they can't go to 100%.
    Last edited by Freetobe; 02-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.

My Radeon 4890 doesn't go above 70C while playing Rift and i still crash. While running furmark it gets hotter than that and it doesnt crash. So wtf?

Soulwalker

The card has got up to around 100C before without problems/crashes on a different game.

The ATI 11.2 drivers were reported to be much less stable than the 11.1 drivers, according to the last couple of beta events. That has kept me using the 11.1 drivers to try and avoid any extra problems. Rift runs ok, but I have to lower the video settings to keep the crashes to a still-too-frequent minimum.

My system is comperable to yours.
    core i7 920, 2.6GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4870
    6 GB RAM
    Vista 64

Dual monitors running at 1080p (1920x1080), Rift runs fullscreen windowed on the main monitor.

I usually crash around Rifts, so I try to avoid those. Even with all the crashes I have had, I've never seen any artifacts on the screen. I have been watching the temps on my GPU, and while I don't have a way to monitor the VRAM temp, the GPU doesn't get near redline when my computer hangs and has to be rebooted. On the other hand, I did replace the stock cooling for my card with a 3rd party cooling system. So it runs much cooler than a stock 4870 card would.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorish View Post
    I have played in 4 out of 7 Rift betas, with no problems at all. Retail came out, I played it for about 2 hours until I noticed red boxes/dots appearing all over the computer screen, only when playing rift, I would tab out of rift and they would disappear. I was monitoring the temperature while playing and it would only get up to 80C average of 70C, with the fan speed set to 80%.

Computer specs:
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    6 GB RAM
    Win 7 64bit

(note; Nothing is overclocked)
    I have two screens hooked up, a 25" and a 19". So that means it is not my screen doing it.

At the time playing I had 10.11 graphics driver, I updated to 11.2 and still had the same problem. I kept playing even tho of all the annoying red boxes/dots on the screen for about another hour then I got a Display Driver has crashed. After the crash the red dots appeared everywhere. (even when I tab out of rift)
    Screenshot of the red boxes/dots:
    http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8...title1111d.png

I ordered a Radeon 6950. (waiting for it to get here) Rift is a very fun game I would like to continue playing it but I am scared that it might kill my new card.

My friend also has a HD 4850, and his just completely stopped working after about 8 hours of playing rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorish View Post
    The card has got up to around 100C before without problems/crashes on a different game.
    So you were like " COOL it's going to 100 and I'm not doing nothing!! " ???

it's obviously trion fault I mean ... 100 ... that's not like ... you had a card that WAS allready overheating and you never took care of it ....right ? ..

Here's my furmark
    Rift killing graphics cards?-furmark.jpg

Let's make 10 more threads on this same topic so every thread on page 1 of the tech forums will be on this topic instead of just half...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    So you were like " COOL it's going to 100 and I'm not doing nothing!! " ???

it's obviously trion fault I mean ... 100 ... that's not like ... you had a card that WAS allready overheating and you never took care of it ....right ? ..
    His temperatures are not out of line. 100C is pushing it but the cards can handle 120C on the core before shutting down.

70C with 80C peak is far from being a problem.

Not like it matters, my cards on water load in the mid 30's and I still crash all day long.

Soulwalker

The card has got to around 100C when I had crappy thermal paste on it. Replaced the thermal paste and it would never go above 60C while playing anything but rift.

I started to see the red dots when my temp went around 70C

+ Reply to Thread