+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift melting 8800 cards: dicuss.

Plane Touched

Default Rift melting 8800 cards: dicuss.

Ok, so I HAD a 8800GTS. Played RIFT fine since beta, no problems at all with other games...then, after experienced the graphics problems/crash that seemed to be caused by the last Rift patch, my card suddenly died completely. Problems may also be had with other cards.

Looking around the forum, I have seen...

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...****s-my-pc-up

Two guys guy with an 8800 who experienced crashes, the problem spread to other games and now one's whole display is toast.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Ti-on-2-27-11.

hasn't gone downcompletely yet, but now he started noticing issues in other games.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...f-****-company

op is filled with bad language, but there are at least two other people on this thread who say their cards, that were working find before their first crash in Rift, have died. One had an 8800.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ch-today/page3

guy on this thread has noticed his card is running hotter since the crash. Another person said their pc repeatedly refused to boot properly after the crash. A third who said after the patch their machine has suddenly started running too hot.

Remember how SC2 could kill some cards? Of course, that's the manufacturers fault and not Blizzards, but do you think something similar is happening here? Rift + certain system configs = dead system.

Edit: I'd just like people to remember that these people say they had no problems at all before this crash caused by the patch. I don't believe in that much coincidence.
    Last edited by Valmar; 02-27-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Soulwalker

Too be fair here the 8800 series is rather dated, 5 generations old and from 2006.

While "melting" cards isnt what anybody expects, any card is going to be pushed to the braking point by any modern game. You also cant expect your card to run this game with respectable FPS.
    Last edited by Spathotan; 02-27-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spathotan View Post
    Too be fair here the 8800 series is rather dated, 5 generations old and from 2006.

While "melting" cards isnt what anybody expects, any card is going to be pushed to the braking point by any modern game. You also cant expect your card to run this game with respectable FPS.
    This game does not have "modern" graphics, it doesn't even support MSAA. The point being that this game is frying a certain series of cards even if they are old. You don't see a ton of GTX260 users coming in saying their cards are fried. This game looks mediocre at best and it is making Sandy Bridge GTX580 systems crawl to their knees and get less than 20 fps. This game has serious performance issues. I have a 6 core processor and 2 5850s and I can't run max settings, in fact at lowest settings I still drop under 20fps. There is a problem and there is no response from Trion about it.
    Last edited by Neckrobeard; 02-27-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Time for an upgrade anyway the 8800 series cards are going to fail because they are old. I understand some people are strapped for cash but for 100 bucks you could get a 5770 which is a more modern card.

Plane Touched

I've just ordered a brand new set of parts for a completely new rig. While I was wanting an excuse to upgrade for a while, that's not the point of the thread.

The card was running at a constant 72c and was getting me over 60fps on low settings. Got up to level 35 in the beta, and up to level 20 over the last two days of headstart. Never had any issues with the card or the system.

The timing just fits in too nicely with the patch, esepcially as the causing crash has been experienced by so many others. Some of which, as noted in my colletced links, are also suffering from more seirous problems as a result.

I'm not more than mildly annoyed, and not looking to play the blame game. I do think people need to be aware of this, though.
    Last edited by Valmar; 02-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckrobeard View Post
    This game does not have "modern" graphics, it doesn't even support MSAA. This game looks mediocre at best and it is making Sandy Bridge GTX580 systems crawl to their knees and get less than 20 fps. This game has serious performance issues. I have a 6 core processor and 2 5850s and I can't run max settings. There is a problem and there is no response from Trion about it.
    To this poster, the models are of a high polygon count and the game makes heavy use of lighting and particle effects. These things put alot of strain on your gpu, now whether you like the art direction or not is personal preference. I personally think Rift is beautiful on Ultra with AA at 1920*1080.
    Last edited by SWTORlooksbad; 02-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Soulwalker

This game does not have "modern" graphics, it doesn't even support MSAA. The point being that this game is frying a certain series of cards even if they are old. You don't see a ton of GTX260 users coming in saying their cards are fried. This game looks mediocre at best and it is making Sandy Bridge GTX580 systems crawl to their knees and get less than 20 fps. This game has serious performance issues. I have a 6 core processor and 2 5850s and I can't run max settings, in fact at lowest settings I still drop under 20fps. There is a problem and there is no response from Trion about it.
    But yet my Sandy Bridge system (2500) and GTX470 have no issues.

Im not discounting any performance issues within the client (ive had a rough time getting consistant FPS over 40 @ 1920x1080 on high/ultra), but the bottom line is nobody should be surprised when their 4 year old, 5 generation old video card is cooked by a 2011 demanding game.

And I think youll be satisfied by whatever your new parts are OP. Sometimes it takes a part dying to force yourself to upgrade, ive been through that many times.
    Last edited by Spathotan; 02-27-2011 at 09:35 AM.

I have a 8800 here and it's running good ... so is my old nvidia 6800 ( lols @25fps 1440x900 with that and a centrion 1,6 ) ... they don't run HOT while running rift....

They didnt break ... but oh wait .. I actually clean it and change thermal paste ... I didnt expect a card THAT old to be functioning inside of my pc without me cleaning it.

The only guy I knew that got his gpu fried with sc2 never cleaned his gpu , never tryed to get better airflow , and had a obviously overheating gpu.

I ask the people that are screaming " Rift killed my old gpu" to answer this:

Did you EVER cleaned your card, or did you expect your gpu to survive 2+ years without dusting it off once ?
    Do you have sufficient airflow in your case ?
    Did you change the thermal paste when you saw the first overheats ?
    Did you ever looked at your temps to check if it was overheating ?

Cause all these people look like those pc users that never opened it , never cleaned it , never tryed to check the temps and sudently went " OMG ... my xbo.. pc .. broke !! "

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORlooksbad View Post
    To this poster, the models are of a high polygon count and the game makes heavy use of lighting and particle effects. These things put alot of strain on your gpu, now whether you like the art direction or not is personal preference. I personally think Rift is beautiful on Ultra with AA at 1920*1080.
    The models are about the same poly count as WoW, they texturing makes them look much better. What about people with dual GTX580s getting the same FPS as people with 8800GTs? What about people upgrading to cards twice as fast and seeing no improvement? It's not GPU load, not even close.
    Last edited by Neckrobeard; 02-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.

For $86 on Newegg, you can get an ATI HD 5550 card that will run this game just fine, and be about 4 years more modern.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 02-27-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    Did you EVER cleaned your card, or did you expect your gpu to survive 2+ years without dusting it off once ?
    Do you have sufficient airflow in your case ?
    Did you change the thermal paste when you saw the first overheats ?
    Did you ever looked at your temps to check if it was overheating ?
    Yes, thanks for asking. Now, away with you.

The models are about the same poly count as WoW, they texturing makes them look much better. What about people with dual GTX580s getting the same FPS as people with 8800GTs? What about people upgrading to cards twice as fast and seeing no improvement? It's not GPU load, not even close.
    I run on an i5 750 and a GTX 470 at the settings I listed in my previous post. I do dial lighting back from 10 to 6 but that's the only change I make from stock ultra other than enabling SSAA. I never have any issues. Fps does dip down pretty low when there's 80 people with spell effects popping off on a giant but what do you expect. I'm not saying the game engine is perfect but this alarmist attitude seems a little unwarranted.
    Last edited by SWTORlooksbad; 02-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    Yes, thanks for asking. Now, away with you.
    don't be mad ...

I could as easily tell you to go away , when youmade a thread about your already overheating 8800 that faulted on rift.

Clean it better next time .

I honestly believe that all cards that are getting fried now ( like when allmost a new game releases people blame the game ) were overheating and waiting for a good time to die.

But I'll take your post to account , and leave ... to play rift ... maybe I'll use the 8800 .. Cause you know ... I cleaned mine ... I was playing in my nvidia 6800 ... maybe it will die too ... ohh wait ... I actually clean it and check temps ...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORlooksbad View Post
    I run on an i5 750 and a GTX 470 at the settings I listed in my previous post. I do dial lighting back from 10 to 6 but that's the only change I make from stock ultra other than enabling SSAA. I never have any issues. Fps dies dip down pretty low when there's 80 people with spell effects popping off on a giant but what do you expect. I'm not saying the game engine is perfect but this alarmist attitude seems a little unwarranted.
    I'm positing that it's an issue with certain setups, not an overall tendency to destroy whatever is it's path. It could well be that different drivers could have avoided the crash, and by extension the frying.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    don't be mad ...

I could as easily tell you to go away , when youmade a thread about your already overheating 8800 that faulted on rift.

Clean it better next time .

I honestly believe that all cards that are getting fried now ( like when allmost a new game releases people blame the game ) were overheating and waiting for a good time to die.

But I'll take your post to account , and leave ... to play rift ... maybe I'll use the 8800 .. Cause you know ... I cleaned mine ... I was playing in my nvidia 6800 ... maybe it will die too ... ohh wait ... I actually clean it and check temps ...
    I'm not mad, it's just that your posts have a tendency to come across sounding superior. But reading further, I'm seeing that you aren't a native English speaker, so misunderstandings are to be expected. Apologies from my side.

Edit: As an aside, my card was not already overheating. It was fine. And continued to be so while playing Rift. Up until the crash caused by the last patch.
    Last edited by Valmar; 02-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast