+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift melting 8800 cards: dicuss.

Quote Originally Posted by sophee View Post
    4970's are melting too. Its the game. Not the card.
    My 4850 is toasty, but chugging along nicely. The 8 series does have a fatal flaw and that is what this thread is about.
    RIFT HAS A DAMAGE METER!!!
    GET YOUR COPY TODAY!!!
    Download link:
    http://www.riftjunkies.com/combat-parser/

Soulwalker

I ran into many crashes with my 8800GT.

Downloaded Rivatuner and increased GPU fanspeeds. No more crashing.

Soulwalker

Any reports for EVGA 460 failure?

Shadowlander

I'm no expert but I did previously own a 8800.
    All of the 8800 cards were prone to overheating in a violent way.
    Mine fried 3 PSUs on it's way out.

It's best not to have those things in your computer, especially when you're trying to run programs that are more graphically intensive for long periods of time.

Plane Touched

My EVGA 460 purchased in December just fried. This the the only game I play and it was until today patch.

My issue is different, but I do have an issue with the game spontaneously rebooting my machine.

However, I ran a test with GPU-Z logging in the background and what I found was that the graphics card was NOT overheating.

My system is pretty top notch though, and has more than adequate cooling.

If your system does NOT have adequate cooling, and you are one of those that just slapped in a new graphics card into an older machine for example...you WILL have heat problems with Rift.

During a Rift I saw the load on my card climb to about 99%.
    and.
    stay.
    there.

Until the Raid was over.

Now if that happens to you and your cooling is not up to spec....your card's going to fail. If your system is rebooting, you see artifacts etc. then those are normally warning signs that the system is overheating, or that something else is failing.

In my case, it seems to be a different issue.
    But in most cases it points to hardware failure. Which could have happened with just about any other intense game.

This is not to say that the game engine does not need optimising, it does. And Trion needs some lessons in customer communication. Nowadays, we actually expect developers to talk and interact with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckrobeard View Post
    Not in WoW.
    And that kind of sums up this whole thread, doesn't it?

This game does not have "modern" graphics, it doesn't even support MSAA. The point being that this game is frying a certain series of cards even if they are old. You don't see a ton of GTX260 users coming in saying their cards are fried. This game looks mediocre at best and it is making Sandy Bridge GTX580 systems crawl to their knees and get less than 20 fps. This game has serious performance issues. I have a 6 core processor and 2 5850s and I can't run max settings, in fact at lowest settings I still drop under 20fps. There is a problem and there is no response from Trion about it.
    While I believe that you are having problems, I also believe there may be something you can do to fix it.

My game ran like total crap before. No joke, 25 fps was my absolute maximum. Now I roll with 40-60 fps at all time while out questing, dropping to about 20 in large rifts. And I havent lowered my settings 20 fps is of course totally playable and i understand its because of my CPU being a bit of a cripple compared to a beastly i7 or something newer.

Now I also realize that sometimes you may not have the same issues I had, and thus you have no solution for them.

But I must say, the ridiculous performance of this game is pretty abysmal. Unless Trion fixes this they will lose alot of customers.

As an aside, from what i understand about the .dll "fix" is that it tricks the engine into thining its an older card, like an old 7800 or something. If that is the case, that explains why some people who have older systems are experiencing FAR better performance than some with new systems.

This tells me that Trion needs to get to work on the performance issue as a high priority project. It is fixable.

Ascendant

Well I've got two of them, even highly overclocked & they seriously smash this game @ 1920x1200. If Rift was going to melt 8800's then one of mine would have melted by now.

Both run mid 70's under full load in Rift & without issue. So no, Rift is not melting 8800's.
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-04-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Soulwalker

This is happening to me as well, it started a day after i started playing Rift. I started to get blackscreens every hour or so, but the more i played the worse it got having to do hard shut downs on my computer. I cant play rift or any other game, i only get 5 minutes into rift and it shuts down. I tryed reinstalling the drivers, that did not help. Its not a heating issue my card stays at 44 C normal and stays at 50 C under load. I do beleive that rift did this to my card, i have had this card for 2 years running perfectly no errors or anything like this.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicks View Post
    This is happening to me as well, it started a day after i started playing Rift. I started to get blackscreens every hour or so, but the more i played the worse it got having to do hard shut downs on my computer. I cant play rift or any other game, i only get 5 minutes into rift and it shuts down. I tryed reinstalling the drivers, that did not help. Its not a heating issue my card stays at 44 C normal and stays at 50 C under load. I do beleive that rift did this to my card, i have had this card for 2 years running perfectly no errors or anything like this.
    You gain 6c from Idle to full load? Shenanigans..
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

my Club3d 5850 OC seems to run hot too, just open the case, remove dust from fan/heatsinks, leave case open if needed. Also invest in a table fan for summer

Why do ducks have webbed feet?...To stamp out fires

Why do elephants have flat feet?...To stamp out burning ducks.

Champion of Telara

For the 10th time probably:

You cannot "overload" a video card and melt it via simply running it. Any overheating is a manufacturer or system configuration problem(ie cooling, drivers).
    (which I think this is the first thread with an OP who acknowledged a possible manufacturer problem of any kind)

Yes the game is excessively hard on cards, but every one of these posts of people claiming "melting" or "OMG CRASHES", not posting a minimum of a 2 minute 100% usage furmark bench needs to be locked and burned.
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-04-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Spathotan View Post
    But yet my Sandy Bridge system (2500) and GTX470 have no issues.

Im not discounting any performance issues within the client (ive had a rough time getting consistant FPS over 40 @ 1920x1080 on high/ultra), but the bottom line is nobody should be surprised when their 4 year old, 5 generation old video card is cooked by a 2011 demanding game.

And I think youll be satisfied by whatever your new parts are OP. Sometimes it takes a part dying to force yourself to upgrade, ive been through that many times.
    THIS.

My system is a fairly mediocre i5 760 @2.6Ghz, 4gb ddr3 1600mhz and a gtx 460 1gb, getting around 50-60 fps at ultra settings (no shadows) with SS on albeit at 1680x1050 (I need a new monitor I know).

In 60+ man rifts ect it drops to 35-40 fps.

But I don't understand all these people having GPU failures due to overheating?
    You all turned off the GPU thermal cutout protection in your driver settings or what?

Or your blaming rift on your lack of system cooling, dust removing abilities?

This game looks mediocre at best and it is making Sandy Bridge GTX580 systems crawl to their knees and get less than 20 fps.
    No it doesnt. I get 30-40 FPS with SSAA on, and 50-70 with it off. Everything else maxed.

Didn't see you posting this nonsense for a day or two, was hoping you finally got banned.

Also: Software cannot melt your GPU unless it is specifically telling it to disable it's cooling.
    Improper care / configuration of the cards is melting them.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-05-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast