+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constant crashes...

Soulwalker

Default Constant crashes...

Hello,

I've had problems with the game crashing since I started playing, which was back in closed beta 5 I believe and by now I've pretty much tried everything I can think of, but the problems still persist. No one else seems to have the same problem either and no one I've asked has known how to fix it, that includes the Trion support lol which gave me completely useless replies.
    Basically, the game just hangs for a few seconds (screen freezes and sound loops) and then crashes to desktop, after which I get the "rift has crashed, send bug report and restart the game or exit" window. The crashes occur quite often and annoy the hell out of me. Makes me die a lot ingame where I normally wouldn't, and completely messes up my pvp matches and such. Also just a major waste of time.

Here's my PC specs:
    Windows XP 32bit
    ATI HD4670
    2gb RAM
    Dual core 2GHz (weak I know but enough for the game anyway)
    ~300gb HDD + 1TB external HDD
    And no currently I can't upgrade.

I've noticed that most of the crashes usually happen when one of the following is on-screen:
    * Fire effects (spells like Fiery Burst, buffs, dots, or anywhere in the world)
    * Various spells, not certain which ones
    * When the soul window is open (crashes very often)
    * When an inventory or shop window is open (crashes occasionally)
    * Sometimes just pretty randomly

So what I can assume, it seems to be mostly about particle or lighting effects and is probably a graphics card issue. I've tried loads of stuff but nothing seems to fix it...

* Redownloaded, reinstalled on different HDD's and partitions like 4 times now.
    * Ran recovery.
    Nothing so it's definitely not a corrupt files issue. Didn't think it was anyway, I have a very good internet connection and don't really get corrupted files.
    * Installed latest ATI drivers.
    * Tried various older drivers. (10.4 aswell which I've read have fixed some players' issues)
    * Tried the rift profile and also tested around with enabling/disabling ATI catalyst AI or whatever (read from a thread somewhere that disabling might help)
    * Cleaned the PC, plenty of space on hdd's, CCleaner, Spybot, antivirus scans, game booster, defrag - everything is clean.
    * Closed all unnecessary processes, also uninstalled Antivirus in case it's conflicting with anything.
    * Tried loads of combinations of game settings. Even on the most minimum settings possible it still crashes.
    * Yelled at the game because this is ****ing ******ed and pisses me off.

So yeah I'm out of ideas and really tired of this crap. Maybe formatting but I'm not going to do that, and it shouldn't be necessary to run a damn game anyway. My guess is that the problem is in the gfx card or drivers, but nothing seems to help. So Trion, please sort out your stuff with ATI or something...

Soulwalker

I'm experiencing hard crashes much the same as OP's.

But I am running Nvidia GTX 280

I have done the same steps to try and eliminate possible issues at my end.

I hadn't experienced anything like this in Beta, it only started after I installed the release client. Beta was completely removed prior to fresh install of release client.

Actually, the problems you are having are quite common. I'll bet most of the crashes and graphics issues in here are very similar to your situation. That said, everything you have done is about the same as everyone else has done, and you've gotten the same results. About all that's left to do is adjust the video settings in the game and see if that eliminates the crashing or at least makes the crashing less frequent. I'm not trying to say that it's acceptable for the game to crash on the higher settings. I'm just trying to help you get to a point where the game is playable and where you can tollerate playing it until Trion can find and fix the bugs in Rift's rendering code.

Start by setting the Quality Preset slider all the way to Min and see how long you can play. If that seems stable, bump it up to Low and see how that works. Keep moving up the scale until things become unstable and then go back to the last "stable" setting. Many people seem to have found that Shadows cause problems for their cards, so try turning them off and see if that helps. If you are noticing problems when there are lots of spell effects on the screen and/or particles, try lowering those settings and see what happens. (I have my spell detail at 3, max, and particle quantity at 350, and things seem ok).

Finding a working solution will be mostly trial and error and can take as much or as little time as you want to spend. It's almost guaranteed that using the Low Quality Renderer will eliminate the crashing, but it will also make the game look a lot less appealing than it should. From my personal testing, I found that using the High Quality Renderer at the Low setting was the most stable for me (in terms of best looks and fewest crashes). Going up to Med started bringing crashes back into the "annoyingly frequent" catagory. Also, from feedback from the last couple of beta events, it seems like ATI/AMD's 11.2 drivers are not very Rift friendly. The last "known" stable drivers were the 11.1 drivers, which are what I'm using for my 4870 card.

Other than that, I sincerely wish you good luck at finding something that works. When the game doesn't crash, it's fun to play. When it does crash, ugh.

Soulwalker

Yeah I've messed around with the settings a lot and I'm running the settings which I feel like make the crashes most infrequent. However they're still frequent enough to greatly disrupt gameplay and annoy the hell out of me. I'm talking about at least 1 crash per 10 minutes or so. Sometimes more, depending on how many people, rifts and such there are. The most I've had is about 3 crashes in like a minute though lol, trying to kill the same damn monster.

The low quality renderer seems to make absolutely no difference for me btw. Still the same amount of crashes. However the crashes do seem to get a lot more frequent when I go on higher settings, so I run the game at max reso (1920x1080) and mostly low settings, only textures at 3, some object distance and detail, ground clutter and such. No shadows, lighting, particle and spell detail at minimum.

Anyway indeed it seems like there's nothing we can do then... In that case, atleast some compensation from Trion would be nice, as these problems are essentially wasting our gametime. The game itself is great but the constant crashes are really frustrating and put me off from playing. I play games to relax, but this way I can't.

Soulwalker

Im having the same issue with a Gefore GTS 450, works fine on low rendering but when i try to run it at high i get random crashes.....

Would help if the error handler actually gave messages other than just sending it to trion!

I can think of anything else to help though now, i just hope they fix whatever it is that is causing the crashes.

Soulwalker

Would help if the error handler actually gave messages other than just sending it to trion!
    Yeah lol, I thought about that aswell. It seems that it doesn't store the error log anywhere, just sends it to Trion, which is disappointing as it could be helpful in identifying the problem.

Soulwalker

I'm having the same issues now. It has been getting worse today. I'm crashing every 10 mins. I did not have any crashing issues on Thursday or Friday. Maybe one of the Hot fixes has caused an issue?

I'm on an older Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS and have updated the drivers recently. I tried setting the graphics from Min to Med with no change in crash occurrences.

At least the error recovery system works well and logs you back into your dead corpse fast.

Hopefully the 20 error reports i have sent this morning will help out the tech team.

Soulwalker

haha try the 100+ ive sent!

I had your G card in my acer aspire, i didnt have a problem then, ive upgraded to a geforce 450 and new PSU and now i get crashes, i can run game fine on ultra at 40 fps but it just randomly crashes....

Soulwalker

Bump. A word from Trion would be appreciated, although I know it's probably too much to ask.
    This is driving me mad, it ruins the game experience...

+ Reply to Thread