+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: High Latency spikes making game unplayable

Soulwalker

Default High Latency spikes making game unplayable

While I'm playing the game I will have jumps in my latency ranging from 20k to 1k for a few minutes or a few seconds then it jumps back down to normal levels. It really is making the game unplayable. I'm trying to find out the problem but when I do a traceroute to tracert login-dal-beta.riftgames.com I come up with couldn't find the host.

If it is at my ISPs end then I need to get a hold of them to fix the problem if it is at Trion end then I need the traceroute give them the info they need. Any ideas whats going on?

Soulwalker

ISP is Shaw Cable

Soulwalker

I get the same problem, i am also with Shaw Cable. For 5 mintues ill be at 90ms and then for about 5 minutes ill be at 7k to 15k. I can run around as if things are fine i just can't attack, talk to npc's, or anything.

Same here. Shaw & I cant play at all, 90ms then huge lag spikes to 50,000ms. It's not SHAW, it's trion. This problem only came to light when Trion ****ed with the servers for headtstart. They don't seem to be bright enought to fix it either.

CPU:Intel Core i7-950/Corsair H70 MB:Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R GPU:eVGA GTX 570
    RAM:Corsair DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600MHz SSD:Intel X25-V 40GBx2(RAID-0) HDD:2TB Seagate
    PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w (W0133RU) CASE:NZXT Phantom Case (WHITE) MONITOR: BenQ 24"

I'm with Shaw, and never had pings that high. I'm on extreme and in game my pings are 75-100ms.
    I use the Motorola SB5102 modem. (Blue one)

Now the 6102 and the SMC, have had serious problems with network latency.
    I would say the issue is with Shaw and not Trion, or a combination that could included packet lose from your end, even with a router.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178513762.png
    Last edited by Kalec; 02-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Quote Originally Posted by Kalec View Post
    I'm with Shaw, and never had pings that high. I'm on extreme and in game my pings are 75-100ms.
    I use the Motorola SB5102 modem. (Blue one)

Now the 6102 and the SMC, have had serious problems with network latency.
    I would say the issue is with Shaw and not Trion, or a combination that could included packet lose from your end, even with a router.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178513762.png
    I have the same, extreme. It IS Trions issue, betas were fine. They had some ******* try to fix what wasn't broken & messed everything up. i don't even know why i want it to get fixed, I've already put in my ticket for refund.

EDIT: Just to show my connection to Dallas:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178529372.png

70ms. It's trion, not SHAW.
    Last edited by Xzero; 02-28-2011 at 03:08 PM.

CPU:Intel Core i7-950/Corsair H70 MB:Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R GPU:eVGA GTX 570
    RAM:Corsair DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600MHz SSD:Intel X25-V 40GBx2(RAID-0) HDD:2TB Seagate
    PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w (W0133RU) CASE:NZXT Phantom Case (WHITE) MONITOR: BenQ 24"

I can tell you 100% its not Trion.
    Just did the same test, to the same server as you did. Got the exactly the same as you in ms. Yet in game I get 70-100ms on average, in towns, world, dungeons and invasions.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1178678200.png

Do this test in cmd. Ping google.ca, and see if you have any packet lose. Also do a tracert also, and see if you get any non responses.

Just make sure when you do the test you try with and without your router.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Soulwalker

They've already said the problem is related to the different ISPs during Beta.

The thing is: they're supposed to fix this, not us. They should be calling the ISPs around the world and making arrangements for the game to work.

My ISP is Telefônica (from Brazil), and the game becomes completely unplayable during big Rift boss fights, with lag spikes of up to 45k ms. It's really frustrating. Game-breaking, even.

Soulwalker

Yah im getting 0% packet loss on every test im running, a ping of 70ms to a dallas server. but in game i can run perfectly fine around 70 - 90ms. And all the sudden up to 7k - 10k doesn't even have to be during heavy encounters. it happens just randomly. If it is infact the isp i hope it gets fixed soon cause its difficult to play when every 2nd fight is basically auto attacks because i get no response when pushing buttons.

Soulwalker

Default Reducing ping / Latency

Quote Originally Posted by Kavurn View Post
    While I'm playing the game I will have jumps in my latency ranging from 20k to 1k for a few minutes or a few seconds then it jumps back down to normal levels. It really is making the game unplayable. I'm trying to find out the problem but when I do a traceroute to tracert login-dal-beta.riftgames.com I come up with couldn't find the host.

If it is at my ISPs end then I need to get a hold of them to fix the problem if it is at Trion end then I need the traceroute give them the info they need. Any ideas whats going on?
    Have you tried http://pingbetter.com fixes the problem for loat of French players I have heard

Something from your home and all the hops you have to go through is causing an issue. With so many different ISP, where your located, everyone connects to different hubs.
    Trying to pinpoint the issue, is not easy. Even for ISP its hard to find the source.

Once you have a bad hop, all others after that, including Trions server will be affected.

eg: lets say that there is 7 hops to Trion game server.
    1 = Home - good
    2= ISP - good
    3= Hop - good
    4= Hop - good
    5= Hop - bad
    6= Hop - bad (Actually good)
    7= Trion - bad (Actually good)

Since 5 was the first problem, any after that will have an issue, even if that 6 & 7 are good connections.

Soulwalker

Default Improving ping in RIFT a lot follow the French!

Orange customers in France have the same problem http://www.pingbetter.com Pingbetter seems to be popular with them. One player reduced the ping from some huge 80,000mS to 300ms ish he claims.

In his words: Ca dépasse plus 300ms alors qu\'avant je montais à 80000ms !

I get 250ms from New Zealand playing on and LA server with Pingbetter, about 450ms playing in Amsterdam
    Last edited by nidelv26; 02-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Ok, but this isn't about France or Brazil, there is other post about that for your connections. This is Shaw in Canada for this post.

Which will make connections different for Brazil and France different.

Cant edit posts anymore.

Tested this pingbetter software. Complete junk. Suppose that this software lowers your ping. Well instead of my usual 80ms average, i got 150-200ms in Rift.

I wow i usually get 150ms, pingbetter shot me close to 300ms.

Sorry, but software can't just merely fix hardware limitations, and connection nodes.

Soulwalker

I do have shaw extreme aswell and i have never had a problem with any game of any kind until headstart went live. I have a conversation going back and forth with a GM pretty much every day, if i find something out ill post it here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast