+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video problems w/Nvidia GTX 560 Ti on 2/27/11.

Soulwalker

Default Video problems w/Nvidia GTX 560 Ti on 2/27/11.

WinXP SP3
    nVidia driver 266.66

- Getting walls and spikes of textures all over the place when moving around. Alt-tabbing to Windows and back again cleans up spikes until moving camera or character around again.
    - Problem started between 2/26/11 afternoon and 2/27/11 morning. No prior video issues from beta 6 to 2/26 on both Nvidia 7800GT & GTX 560 Ti cards.
    - Changing quality presets or switching to low quality renderer has no effect.
    - Issue not present at shard/character selection screen.

Soulwalker

is that what that pink line is that pops up?

with everything maxed i get 22 fps with it on high get 80's..

system i just made:

amd 1100t 6x 3.4ghz cooled by corsair h50 stable at cpu temp of 80f /27c
    4gig ddr3 1333mhz patriot ram on a MSI 870A-G54
    galaxy 560 ti with 266.66 hdmi temps haven't been above 140f or 55c
    650 sli ready xfx psu
    windows 7 ultimate
    Last edited by sway; 02-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Soulwalker

I use the same Videocard and am not seeing any problems. I'm running the game at max settings getting about 35 frames at all times.

Galaxy GTX 560ti
    Intel i7 870
    4gb ram

I just upgraded to this card and at first had no problem. I go to try it today, and i have the exact same issue. Textures are tearing and looks like spikes all over as well as fluttering. Seems to be doing it in other games now as well.

Any advice?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ThePostal View Post
    I just upgraded to this card and at first had no problem. I go to try it today, and i have the exact same issue. Textures are tearing and looks like spikes all over as well as fluttering. Seems to be doing it in other games now as well.

Any advice?
    Stop trying to play Rift until this is sorted. My card went from fine to dead. People tell me "a game can't kill cards", but please consider that you had the same trouble as other people...and it now seems to be spreading to other games.

Don't end up with a pile of useless trash like me because you kept trying to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    Stop trying to play Rift until this is sorted. My card went from fine to dead. People tell me "a game can't kill cards", but please consider that you had the same trouble as other people...and it now seems to be spreading to other games.

Don't end up with a pile of useless trash like me because you kept trying to play.
    I feel it's important to point out my qualifications, because you'll likely still not agree, but you shouldn't tell people things like this, it causes worry and ultimately anger towards developers. I have masters in computer science with robotics and artificial intelligence as my field. This means I understand computers not just on an IT level but also on a machine code level, as well as needing an understanding in 3D software, OpenGL and graphics cards.

Rift cannot, will never be able to, damage your graphics card. Rift, like every other game or piece of software can only push your card to its physically possible limits, a speed limit set by your firmware/driver which the game is bound to.

IF playing Rift has broken your card then your card was either defective already or (more likely) your cooling just isn't able to cool your card.

Arguments that "no other game does this" are invalid. Software cannot push your card past those speed limits. If playing Rift has presented these issues then it isn't because it has created them, past running your cards hot which your cooling can't handle (again, Rift can never push your cards past the speed limit set by your system, meaning if they are getting to hot they are either broken already, don't have enough cooling or have been overclocked past a point where your cooling can handle, or other misc issues like your PSU being unable to handle the power draw due to it being crap or damaged etc).
    Last edited by TiberiusMonkey; 02-27-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Ok, this might be stupid but... the problem started when I did Just Cause 2 which i got for free with the card.

Carried into Rift... so i cracked the case and pushed down on the card on the off chance maybe it wasn't fully in. While I didn't feel it go in any more... now things are working.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePostal View Post
    Ok, this might be stupid but... the problem started when I did Just Cause 2 which i got for free with the card.

Carried into Rift... so i cracked the case and pushed down on the card on the off chance maybe it wasn't fully in. While I didn't feel it go in any more... now things are working.
    I'd keep an eye on it but I've actually had the same thing happen to me before, simply reseating the card fixed the problem. It sounds like you've put this card into an already built system? If you keep getting the problem you might have a problem with the card being damaged or also your PSU not giving it enough power or more likely your cooling needs a look at.

It was a prebuilt system but it was also done by a friend in the "biz". I had a 260 already in and the power supply hook ups where the same and the supply itself when i got it was put in it was with the future cards also in mind.

This I put in myself but yeah, i might have been to light handed with it. Thanks for the info TiberiusMonkey, it was very informative and I feel a bit less freaked out for it

Soulwalker

Default Update to my original post.

I resolved the texture spikes I originally posted about by cold booting the computer - warm boot did not correct it. Further play has yielded that video corruption occurs after several game restarts (had opportunity to notice this because I kept getting disconnected or having long lag periods yesterday). Periodically, I would log back into the game and either the shard/character screen was funky colors, mostly reds and greens or there would be texture spikes and walls in-game. Warm boots would resolve the shard/character color issue, cold boots resolved the texture issue.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusMonkey View Post
    I feel it's important to point out my qualifications, because you'll likely still not agree, but you shouldn't tell people things like this, it causes worry and ultimately anger towards developers. I have masters in computer science with robotics and artificial intelligence as my field. This means I understand computers not just on an IT level but also on a machine code level, as well as needing an understanding in 3D software, OpenGL and graphics cards.

Rift cannot, will never be able to, damage your graphics card. Rift, like every other game or piece of software can only push your card to its physically possible limits, a speed limit set by your firmware/driver which the game is bound to.

IF playing Rift has broken your card then your card was either defective already or (more likely) your cooling just isn't able to cool your card.

Arguments that "no other game does this" are invalid. Software cannot push your card past those speed limits. If playing Rift has presented these issues then it isn't because it has created them, past running your cards hot which your cooling can't handle (again, Rift can never push your cards past the speed limit set by your system, meaning if they are getting to hot they are either broken already, don't have enough cooling or have been overclocked past a point where your cooling can handle, or other misc issues like your PSU being unable to handle the power draw due to it being crap or damaged etc).
    You're qualifications are very impressive. Congrats. And that's serious, btw.

A few things I'd like to say/ask.

1: My card was running at a constant 72C, yes, I was monitoring at the time of crash. Many people, with many different setups have had this exact same crash since the last patch, it is not just me. Prior to the crash, which many people with different setups experienced, I was playing Rift fine.

Now, and again this is a serious question, would you not say that it is possible that-

A) It would seem my card had been having no problem running Rift.

B) My card, perhaps due to its age, had problems only handling the crash caused by Rift.

If so, would it not be fair to say to people with this issue: be careful.

2: Many, many people with this error are having their system freeze up completely. The op has not, true, but his graphics malfunction seems the same as people who had. Would you say that repeatedly running software that can cause your system to freeze/hardboot itself repeatedly could possibly damage your system?

3: While it's true you can't use "no other game does this", how about "Rift didn't do this either until the last patch" backed by dozens/hundreds of similar posts? Does not coincidence seem like a little much at that point?

I'd like to say again, that I do not specifically think Rift killed my card. I think the error caused by Rift's latest patch caused my old card to suicide, in a situation where it otherwise would have been fine.

Thanks for your time.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusMonkey View Post
    *snip*
    Don't waste your time with this one mate, I tried to tell him earlier but him & his troll brigade have already made up there minds.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Plane Touched

Sorry for the double post, I don't want to mess with the original incase anyone is replying.

I'd also like your opinion on the issue of SC2 melting cards by causing them to try and produce an unlimited amount of frames. You can say that the cards were the issue because they didn't have adequate cooling, but the fact remains that shoddy design choice/code was the main cause. People would still have had working cards if they had not played SC2, a game which would have worked perfectly on their machines if there had not been this issue.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Don't waste your time with this one mate, I tried to tell him earlier but him & his troll brigade have already made up there minds.
    Not at all. The other poster has been polite and informative. You have been rude and a d*ck, spamming nothing but "ur systemz sucks! trolololol." Big difference.

+ Reply to Thread