+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIFT = 64 or 32 bits?

Default RIFT = 64 or 32 bits?

I have a 64 bits OS and I bought RIFT from Steam.. I know Steam is 32 bits and I know the game is being used from the Steam folder into the Program Files (x86).

..so I was wondering if because of this.. the game is runnning at 32 bits? and also if it was made for 64 bits?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

The Kelly Gang - Australian PVP Guild
    http://www.fivefingerdiscount.org

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

No idea sorry, all i know that is that like you it installed into C:\Program Files (x86) and so far it has zero issues running on Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    No idea sorry, all i know that is that like you it installed into C:\Program Files (x86) and so far it has zero issues running on Windows 7 Home 64-bit
    ..but it doesn't low my FPS and game performance? isn't better to run it in 64?

Soulwalker

Default technically

Quote Originally Posted by Eriaden View Post
    ..but it doesn't low my FPS and game performance? isn't better to run it in 64?
    It's always better to run 64bit as it implies the operating system and anything communicating with it runs twice as fast. 64bits/byte. So any information sent is being sent in bigger packets of 64bits and not 32bits.

..so I guess I should uninstall it from Steam(Program Files (x86)) and download it all over again and install in the 64bits folder?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mommydearest View Post
    It's always better to run 64bit as it implies the operating system and anything communicating with it runs twice as fast. 64bits/byte. So any information sent is being sent in bigger packets of 64bits and not 32bits.
    This is utterly false.

First: Rift is a 32 bit application. It will run fine on a 64bit operating system and there is no 64 bit version of Rift.

Second: The FPS issue is probably unrelated to the fact that Rift is a 32bit application, but there is a slight possibility that Rift might suffer from the >2GB address bug. I have yet to see that to be true though.

Can I get a Dev to answer to this post please?

Thanks in advance.

Default Stop

Rift is a 32bit application only, installing it in your 64bit directory will not do anything better for the game.

As people have said, Rift is a 32-bit application. It doesn't matter where you install it or run it from, it will always be a 32-bit application. The only way to promote it to 64-bits is to recompile it. That may not sound like to much work, but it definitely is a lot more complex that just "recompiling." And a major part of that complexity is the fact that "Rift" is just a custom game shell built on top of a game engine built by another company. So the first step in getting a 64-bit Rift is to convince that other company to recreate their game engine as a 64-bit application.

Regardless of that, you should not see any real loss of speed because you're running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit operating system.

For an in-depth technical discussion about the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems and the effect on applications, I would suggest that you search out a true technical forum where they probably have many articles about the subject. If you do, I think you'll discover that you really don't have anything to worry about, in terms of how fast or slow Rift runs. I'm running on Vista 64, and speed is not an issue.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Eriaden View Post
    ..so I guess I should uninstall it from Steam(Program Files (x86)) and download it all over again and install in the 64bits folder?
    You're badly confused about 32/64-bits and not helped by idiot posts like that above (you know the one). MadHouse and Maverick are correct.
    Last edited by Kerin; 03-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Soulwalker

Yeah, wow, CRAZY amount of misinformation in this thread.

First and foremost it makes no difference what folder you put something in, it's just a folder - think of folders in your filing cabinet, does moving a piece of paper from the folder labeled paper to the folder labeled gold turn the paper in to gold? A folder is just a virtual container to help organize your stuff.

Just ... wow ...

A byte is always 8 bits for starters ... as for the difference between 64 and 32 bit processors, try about.com or something for a high level overview to start, then maybe wikipedia for some more details. 64-bit binaries do not run twice as fast as 32-bit binaries.

I know everyone, *absolutely everyone*, only intends to help someone when responding to something like this, but if you don't actually understand the subject all you do is confuse the person and likely others who are reading the thread. If you really *have* to answer the questions you don't really understand, at least go learn about the subject and do some research first.
    Last edited by Hyacin; 03-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Shield of Telara

Why do people like this even respond on tech forums when they know absolutely nothing? That little tidbit of misinformation doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. There are 8 bits in a byte, and "bigger packets of 64bits" isn't even a logical statement. Nothing in that statement is correct...at all.

One post like that should get you banned from posting here.

Rift is a 32 bit application, period. That means absolutely nothing to most people, and affects almost nobody, so don't worry about it.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

As a hardcore gamer.. I really want to use my computer with best graphics/performance as possible. I know some games are built in 32 bits only and some others 32 and 64. I wanted to know if RIFT its only a 32 bits app. that was my main concern. From my experience switching from 32 to 64 bits in some games did some great differences. That's all.

I know about how it works, etc. in RL I work doing tech support for an affiliate company with IBM over here in Buenos Aires so I careless about the extra explanations.

Thanks for the answers.
    Last edited by Eriaden; 03-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Lol.

Everything you just said is wrong. A 64bit OS can address 64 bits of memory. That is the only difference. It doesnt process in 64 bit chunks, it doesnt run twice as fast as a 32 bit OS. The only time a 64 bit OS/application is an advantage is when you need to access more than 4 GB of memory.

Soulwalker

I have yet to see a game with 64-bit binaries. Beyond like, Minesweeper or something maybe that comes with Windows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast