+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Really F'cking annoying

Soulwalker

Default Really F'cking annoying

Hello,

I have had my RIFT on STEAM ever since head start and have played for 13 hours.
    For some stupid reason (maybe my own fault) the game when double clicked in STEAM said it was re-downloading as if it was never there.
    The folder that is usually 8+ gig went to 6gig in size and then to 5gig in size and my STEAM was downloading the whole 7+ gig again sitting at 15%

So I deleted the game via right clicking in STEAM and saying delete files so that only the "install" but existed on the RIFT tab within STEAM

When I double click to now re-instal it says 140 meg it'll use up, which is i'm assuming the patcher / window thing that opens where you log in to RIFT

Anyway, that's what I want, the moment after installing the patcher, I then will put the entire 8 gig folder back into my common folder or whatever so then when i open the launcher / patcher again it will just detect the folder and not download the 8 gig

The problem is, even though it said it was downloading 140 meg which is usually just installing the launcher, it is now in downloads within STEAM saying it's downloading the whole 7 gig again

WTF do I do, if I copy the folder of 8+ gig into my common folder STEAM doesn't detect it and continues to download the remaining 5 gig or so...

Yes, i'm copying it into the correct folder and have done this previously and it worked fine...

Soulwalker

If you have the rift folder outside of Steam, and it sounds like you do since you're asking if you should copy it back into Steam, try running the patcher by itself and not from Steam.

I don't know about RIFT, but with all the MMOs I've bought from Steam(4) I either just used the key Steam gave me and downloaded from the patcher or I downloaded it from Steam then moved it out of Steams directory and used the normal, official patcher for whatever game it was.

I seriously doubt any MMOs on Steam use it for copy protection since you need an account to play them anyway.
    Last edited by Cardef; 02-27-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cardef View Post
    If you have the rift folder outside of Steam, and it sounds like you do since you're asking if you should copy it back into Steam, try running the patcher by itself and not from Steam.

I don't know about RIFT, but with all the MMOs I've bought from Steam(4) I either just used the key Steam gave me and downloaded from the patcher or I downloaded it from Steam then moved it out of Steams directory and used the normal, official patcher for whatever game it was.

I seriously doubt any MMOs on Steam use it for copy protection since you need an account to play them anyway.
    Right now my partner has the complete game in her Common folder, I am copying it over to my C-Drive now in order to move it into the common folder of my STEAM account
    Are you suggesting I just run it from the folder and not from STEAM and continue to play the game that way?
    Will it still auto update as per usual etc?

Soulwalker

It should. As I said, I don't know of any MMOs which use Steam for copy protection. The only thing that'll be missing is the Steam overlay which works with most modern DirectX games and you can add manually, anyway.
    Last edited by Cardef; 02-27-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Soulwalker

It should. As I said, I don't know of any MMOs which use Steam for copy protection. The only thing that'll be missing is the Steam overlay which works with most modern DirectX games and you can add manually, anyway.
    What I don't understand is...

I closed STEAM after Uninstalling RIFT
    I then copied the 8.46gig folder into common
    I opened RIFT
    I clicked INSTAL
    It says it'll instal 142 meg
    It then proceeds to download 7+ gig
    It skips from 0% to 20% and says it still has 4 / 5 gig roughly left to download
    I check the RIFT folder and it went from 8.46gig, to 8.03gig, now it's down to 5.something gig, like the files are being removed as it installs...WTF?

I seriously do not get this...

Soulwalker

Not sure but you know to run the launch version not beta you had to delete and full reinstall right? Maybe you are talking about something else? Beta apparently does not equal Rift early release/launch Rift. Might be why it's forcing a new download.

Soulwalker

Odds are that Steam has an outdated image of what a Rift install looks like, since there's been a few small patches since headstart... started.

If you uninstalled Rift, then closed down Steam, then copied a copy of Rift back into Steam, then you forgot an important step. When you do something like that you need to delete the 'clientregistry.blob' file in the main Steam directory. Steam uses that file to know what it has installed and whatnot. When you uninstalled Rift, but copied the files back, Steam looked in it's registry and saw it was supposed to be uninstalled. So it assumed all the files in the directory were garbage left over from a previous installation and deleted them.

(Note that when you delete the clientregistry.blob, it'll look like all/many of your games are downloading but paused when they actually aren't. To fix that, all you have to do is try to run them and Steam will notice they're there. For more info search the Steam forums for 'clientregistry'.)
    Last edited by Cardef; 02-27-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Soulwalker

Odds are that Steam has an outdated image of what a Rift install looks like, since there's been a few small patches since headstart... started.

If you uninstalled Rift, then closed down Steam, then copied a copy of Rift back into Steam, then you forgot an important step. When you do something like that you need to delete the 'clientregistry.blob' file in the main Steam directory. Steam uses that file to know what it has installed and whatnot. When you uninstalled Rift, but copied the files back, Steam looked in it's registry and saw it was supposed to be uninstalled. So it assumed all the files in the directory were garbage left over from a previous installation and deleted them.

(Note that when you delete the clientregistry.blob, it'll look like all/many of your games are downloading but paused when they actually aren't. To fix that, all you have to do is try to run them and Steam will notice they're there. For more info search the Steam forums for 'clientregistry'.)
    I did exactly what you said

1 - Uninstalled RIFT from STEAM
    2 - Closed STEAM
    3 - Deleted the clientreg.blob file
    4 - Copied a complete 8.6+ gig folder into Commons
    5 - Opened STEAM
    6 - Updated STEAM
    7 - Clicked INSTAL RIFT
    8 - It went 2, 4, 6, 8% and then stopped at 8% and now believes it needs to download 92% more of it...

I just cannot get STEAM to recognise that there is a complete game there...

PS: I did validate files cache or whatever and it says all files validated, but still wants to download the entire game even though the entire game is in the commons folder.
    Last edited by Kamikoopa; 02-27-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Soulwalker

I have the steam version and have not encountered this issue. You've already done everything I'd recommend you do in order to troubleshoot the problem on steam so I can't help you there.

What I would recommend however is that you login to the account management on the official web site (Same place you set your subscription and entered pre order codes).

Once you've logged in on the right hand side you should see a "Manage Games" heading. Click on the Rift link and choose the bright green "Download Client" button. This will download the Rift patcher which in turn will allow you to download the client once you login. Once you've got it setup try moving the files you got from steam into the directory the patcher thinks the game is in and load it up. It *should* then notice the files, scan them, and download anything missing or new which is a lot better than doing the whole client.

Give that a shot if you haven't already.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Teran View Post
    I have the steam version and have not encountered this issue. You've already done everything I'd recommend you do in order to troubleshoot the problem on steam so I can't help you there.

What I would recommend however is that you login to the account management on the official web site (Same place you set your subscription and entered pre order codes).

Once you've logged in on the right hand side you should see a "Manage Games" heading. Click on the Rift link and choose the bright green "Download Client" button. This will download the Rift patcher which in turn will allow you to download the client once you login. Once you've got it setup try moving the files you got from steam into the directory the patcher thinks the game is in and load it up. It *should* then notice the files, scan them, and download anything missing or new which is a lot better than doing the whole client.

Give that a shot if you haven't already.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I did all of the above and still didn't detect the files and started to download at 5%

I know exactly why it's happening, when RIFT was first released on STEAM it would download the 140 meg launcher, and then you downloaded the rest through the launcher, if you closed the launcher and put the 8 gig folder in, the launcher would then detect those files and be patched.

But now, due to whatever stupid ******** reason, if you decide to buy RIFT from Steam now, it downloads the entire game, 8 gig and all, from start to finish, rather than through the launcher, and because it does this now, STEAM doesn't detect the files...yet when you first get it, it still says 140 meg to download, you only realise it's 8 gig after...stupid...

Anyway, 10 hours of trying to get STEAM to notice the files has made me sleepy and a little less in love with STEAM, oh well...

Thanks for everyones help.

PS - Just to top of the night, my brother messages me on STEAM and says that his CD KEY says "Failed to contact key server" so he can't play, another fantastic problem to deal with.
    Last edited by Kamikoopa; 02-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Soulwalker

I know this is off topic but, my problem with Rift on Steam is, the game keeps having to re-download 46 files that takes roughly an hour every time. Anyone else have this issue? I can play it, but out of nowhere when I go to boot it up again, it minimizes and won't launch at all. After checking the integrity of the files, it keeps finding 46 are missing...big pain in the you know what.

+ Reply to Thread