+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FPS Drops From good to bad

Soulwalker

Default FPS Drops From good to bad

I have a high end system, when I am playing Rift I will go from amazing FPS to it feels like 3fps. Im unable to play the game when it does this, and its completley at random.

Soulwalker

System Specs :

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9300 @ 2.53
    4.00 GB DDR3
    2x Radeon HD 4870 1G

Can someone please help? Ive researched a lot and haven't found anything to solve the issue. It happens in and out of combat in game, it almost seems to happen randomly.
    Last edited by stermy; 02-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.

I've developed this issue too lately; it's usually not that detectable since I'll get 6fps at best, but every now and then I'll lock up almost as if hitting big lag spikes.

Seems to be a problem caused by the post-Head Start patches. Beta was pretty smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Furienify View Post
    I've developed this issue too lately; it's usually not that detectable since I'll get 6fps at best, but every now and then I'll lock up almost as if hitting big lag spikes.

Seems to be a problem caused by the post-Head Start patches. Beta was pretty smooth.
    I have the same problem. Everything will be going fine at 30-40 FPS on ultra and then it will randomly drop to low FPS or freeze for a second or two. This doesn't happen during any specific instance (i.e. in a densely populated area/combat) and is pretty annoying.
    Zzari - Human Warrior - www.maximation.us

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.2GHz
    4GB Corsair XMS DDR2 PC2-8500
    1GB EVGA GTX460

Ascendant

For starters your system is FAR from high end. What do you mean by "amazing FPS" to "3fps" ? Have you actually checked your fps?

Secondly, I don't think Crossfire is working very well at this stage so your probably just using 1 x 4870.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Soulwalker

I believe your CPU might be a bottleneck for your crossfire / whatever it's called in ATI systems. Some real nerd could confirm this

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fictionandfact View Post
    I believe your CPU might be a bottleneck for your crossfire / whatever it's called in ATI systems. Some real nerd could confirm this
    Yes it will bottle 2 x 4870's.

I also know the reason for the stuttering. Depending on where you are & what's on your screen will determine how much processing power Rift requires. If there is a lot of action/mobs/tress ect the core processing the FPS will be working overtime & unable to maintain a good FPS. If your processor is slow you'll definitely get stuttering/slowdown regardless of the fact it's a quad.

Not only do you need a quad you need raw Mhz as well.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    For starters your system is FAR from high end. What do you mean by "amazing FPS" to "3fps" ? Have you actually checked your fps?

Secondly, I don't think Crossfire is working very well at this stage so your probably just using 1 x 4870.

Dont be offended, but I dont think you know exactly what you're talking about from high end. If my pc can run all the games I throw at it from this year to the newest on ultra completely fine with no hickups. I think i can say its a high end system.

Ive done tons of testing and to tell you the truth there is 0 bottleknecking .

Theres something definitely needed to be fix with the game

No real solution for the OP, but I do have a question and a comment:

1) Is there a way to accurately and reliably measure true in-game frame rate? Some games (ex. LOTRO) have a built-in FPS meter, but I haven't seen anything similar in Rift.

2) I'm almost wondering if Trion didn't reactivate some of their beta error-tracking code in one of the numerous mini-patches we've had this weekend to ferret out some of the problems folks are having, which might explain some of the sudden and otherwise inexplicable performance hits on some folks' systems. Just a theory, but one that makes sense.

Proudly hitching dreams to stars for over fifty years!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
    No real solution for the OP, but I do have a question and a comment:

1) Is there a way to accurately and reliably measure true in-game frame rate? Some games (ex. LOTRO) have a built-in FPS meter, but I haven't seen anything similar in Rift.

2) I'm almost wondering if Trion didn't reactivate some of their beta error-tracking code in one of the numerous mini-patches we've had this weekend to ferret out some of the problems folks are having, which might explain some of the sudden and otherwise inexplicable performance hits on some folks' systems. Just a theory, but one that makes sense.
    Just to answer number 1:
    Rift does have a built in FPS meter. Hover over the system button (lil' monitor button) and your FPS will show. That's how I know I get horrible FPS myself. Well, that and the fact that I can hardly move.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindace View Post
    Just to answer number 1:
    Rift does have a built in FPS meter. Hover over the system button (lil' monitor button) and your FPS will show. That's how I know I get horrible FPS myself. Well, that and the fact that I can hardly move.
    Awesome, thanks! See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! w00f!

Proudly hitching dreams to stars for over fifty years!

+ Reply to Thread