+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading my GPU

Telaran

Default Upgrading my GPU

So I have a Diamond Radeon 5670 and want to upgrade. I don't want to break the bank but was looking at

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=032908

or

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=035710

I know the 6890 is higher end, but are these both viable upgrades?

Thanks

Cole

Soulwalker

I just built a new computer, so all of this is recent in my(faulty) memory. So I may as well use it while it remains.

If you go with ATI, I don't think you need a 6870, save the 50$ for another game-- or save it to apply toward another upgrade in a few years-- and get a 6850. I got a 6850 and everything I throw at it runs at 40-60fps at 1600x900 at max or near max settings for the game, including RIFT.

Games I've tried with it(I got it 4 days ago) are RIFT, Just Cause 2, Dragon Age(1 and 2 demo), Crysis(and Warhead), Final Fantasy 14(it actually looks very good, even if the game itself is crap), LotRO, Fallout: NV, Dawn of War II, Arkham Asylum and a few other console ports. With the exception of FFXIV(because it's coded poorly), everything maintains an average minimum framerate of 40+, except RIFT during large battles.

The Nvidia 460, as I remember, benchmarks a bit better than the 6850 but runs hotter and isn't as easy to overclock unless you improve the cooling. I bring that up, because though I'm running at base clock speed right now(haven't seen the point in overclocking yet), I did test it and my 6850 runs at 55-60c under high load at stock settings. ATIs says the max temp is 110c and my old video card used to idle at 60c(it was an Nvidia 8800 GTS). I can over clock by nearly 15% before problems start appearing with a temperature of only ~65-70c under high load. Which only a few games achieve anyway. Which is why I'm running at stock speeds at the moment.

So, I can't say much about the 460 or 470, but the 6850 is the biggest jump I've ever had in a video card since the introduction of 3d acceleration, and I tend to build a new mid-range computer every 2.5-3 years.
    Last edited by Cardef; 02-26-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Soulwalker

Your better off with the 5800 series. Go to tomshardware.com and read up on what they say about the new 6000 line it's actually a step down. However you can flash the bios to unlock better performance if you know how to. Which saves you a hundred or so bucks from having to buy a better one with the same gpu and perf.

However the same Nvidia card would be a 470 or above not the 460.

Hope that helps. If nothing else read up on the cards at the above mentioned website.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kydon1328 View Post
    So I have a Diamond Radeon 5670 and want to upgrade. I don't want to break the bank but was looking at

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=032908

or

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=035710

I know the 6870 is higher end, but are these both viable upgrades?

Thanks

Cole
    I checked a couple Benchmarks on Techpowerup and they had the 6870 beating out the 460 by a solid 10-15% across the board. If you were dedicated to either of those cards I would go with the 6870 for more bang for your buck. Your next upgrade option is the Nvidia 560 Ti, which is a little more expensive than the 6870, but beats it out by around 4-6% and crushes the 460 by about 22-24% (all numbers according to Techpowerup's aggregated performance summaries). Now according to the site you linked the 560 Ti would run you ~$40 more. So it really depends on what you want to spend.

I personally would go with either the 6870 (great performance in the ~$200 range), or the 560 Ti (amazing performance in the ~$250 range). Hope this information helps you in your decision.
    Last edited by Nesshin; 02-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread