+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disappearing spell/ability particle effects

Soulwalker

Default Disappearing spell/ability particle effects

This will be the fourth post ontop of several tickets submitted during beta 3-6 and now head start. Hopefully Trion might acknowledge an issue or try to attmpt to help. . .

As the title suggests. . . my spell/visual particle effects seem to die out randomly. At first I thought it was a system built into Rift to lesson the lag for players. IE: when 40+ individuals gather the game will truncate spell detail to not overload the game servers and/or individual players. I started to think that this wasn't the case when there would simply be one or two others on the screen with me and my spell/ability visuals would disappear.

Currently there are only a few ways to rectify the vanishing visuals. I can either exit the game fully and relog in, go into a "loaded" zone such as a dungeon or battleground or simply play for an extended period of time when the visuals re-appear.

To me this is game breaking. It is one of the reasons why I have an amazing PC to run gaphically intensive games. If those graphics fail to work I very quickly lose interest. Please don't mistake this for a loss of frame rate rant. . . I typically have 70-80FPS during 20-40 man events. Granted I am sure they would be lower if ALL particle effects were working, that is not my point.

I am running dual HD ATI Radeon 5670 series video cards with 4g of RAM collectively. I recently updated the video drivers as of their release date of 02-15-2011. I have no problems running the game nor have I found any other graphical issues.

I will be honest, coupled with the lack of dev/tech/gm support and the disheartening graphical issues I've been facing. . . I'm not sure how much stock i will be putting into this game past my free subscription period. (by no means a threat, just pointing out my disdain)

-Disappointed

Soulwalker

Default still no response . . .

Still no response to ticket, no response to this. . . does Trion even use this as an avenue to speak with their customers?

How do you cancel preorder or is it too late since head start has begun?

Rift Disciple

Same. Been having the same issue since beta 4.

Soulwalker

add me to the list, GFX 280m. As OP said, this is game breaking for me.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ellroy View Post
    add me to the list, GFX 280m. As OP said, this is game breaking for me.
    I just spoke with a few others ingame - They stated changing your spell quality to 2 you shouldn't have a problem. Since Im playing on a monster computer I've set everything to Ultra. I would have thought pshaw why do this if everything else has no issues or there isn't any FPS loss on ultra. . . .

Well whatever the difference between that being on 2 or 3 . . . i really cant tell a HUGE difference. It has fixed my abilities from going, bye bye. I am disappointed it wont run correctly on 3. . . perhaps its a game issue and not my beautiful machine! Hope this helps those suffering too. . . (wish i had this info earlier and had it come from Trion, perhaps I'd have more faith)

Anyhow hope there is a fix for max settings.

This is a fairly well known issue, and I'm surprised it hasn't been touched on by the Dev's. A lot of people have PC's capable of running the game at Ultra...myself included...and it's a bit irritating that Spell/Particle animations disappear randomly. As a Bard, it's frustrating because certain abilities (ie. Coda of Distress) have an animation that assists with knowing if it sticks or not. And if I can't see it proc, I end up recasting it in the heat of battle. There's animation-specific issues that affect gameplay, and without effect animations showing, it affects gameplay in a negative manner.

Please address this, Trion. If at least, add the option for auto-shutoff as a toggle in the interface options under display.

Red face

I have been experiencing this as well as several others in game. Though, for me, it isn't such a game breaking bug, I do agree that it diminishes fun factor and I can understand why some people would feel frustrated considering how we spend money tuning our PC's just so these sort of things don't happen.

I would also love to hear a reply from Trion regarding this issue.

Many thanks!

Shadowlander

Chalk me up as another one with this problem I will try the 'change the spell effects setting to 2 instead of 3' approach.

Rift Chaser

I actually thought it was cause I was only running on High that this happened. Makes sense though when you get 40+ people on the screen. **** would just stall. I guess if your PC can handle it though you should be able to see all the bells/whistles.
    Last edited by jca1982; 03-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Shadowlander

My computer crushes the game on ultra. No stress at all, and I lose spell effects randomly.

I tried lowering the spell effects setting from 3 down to 2, but no dice. No difference. Something is up with this. I've been messing with most of the settings trying to figure out what will help.... thing is... it does it on minimal graphics.

Anyone else make any progress?
    Last edited by Arborr; 03-01-2011 at 11:23 PM.

I get this ALL the time too. Reported to a GM but no response yet. I hear others get the "Turn on low quality" problem is, THAT doesnt even help. would be nice to hear from Trion about ths. they seem very mum about the whole thing! Not cancelling my sub, but wont be playing a caster at all if this is the case of the game!

(But im sure they will fix it sooner or later)

"Look up to the sky, just before you die; It's the last time you will"

Spiritus Intus Alit

+ Reply to Thread