+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is my screen STILL GOING black and I'm having to hard reboot?

Shadowlander

Default Why is my screen STILL GOING black and I'm having to hard reboot?

Ive about tried everything on RIFTs website and in these forums. Ive had this card for a few years and never had ONE problem with this happening in ANY game. Ive played every game Ive owned on max settings and not once have I had a lockup randomly all the time as I do in RIFT now.

I'm really trying to be patient, but I spent $50 on the game and another ~$50 for the subscription for 6 months, and Im going to be really really mad if I am unable to play this game.

I am NOT overheating. My GPU is sitting at 70C the whole time even on high settings; the game is just crashing.

I have uninstalled my graphics card and reinstalled using the most up to date drivers.

Attached is a pic from canmycomputerrunit.com I meet the minimum settings and meet EVERYTHING under recommended except for the RAM (have 4.0GB DDR2)

My latency is fine (40-70 ms) I can load the game fine. I can create any character fine.

When I get in the circle of light at the first guardian rift, hello lockup, loopy music, manual reboot

50/50 chance when i get near a rift animation, hello lockup, loopy music, manual reboot

I did not have this problem when the first beta came out, only when it became open beta and beyond.

Sincerely,
    Faithful and patient customer losing faith in Trion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is my screen STILL GOING black and I'm having to hard reboot?-rift.jpg  

Shadowlander

/Bueller.............Bueller................Bueller ...............

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Did you check out your PSU? (Power Supply Unit), Rift certainly pushes all graphics cards hard, especially during a major rift when i have 60+ people around me pew pewing the boss
    Might be a case of the card drawing just enough extra juice for the PSU to slightly dip on the voltage rail and cause Windoze to have a coronary

I haven't seen any Trion Support posts, but it really sounds like you have some driver issues going on. When your PC reboots it generally indicates a low level hardware problem, meaning driver/OS level or defective hardware.

The 70c for GPU under load isn't bad, what's your CPU core temp I wonder? Are you overclocked at all?

Have you updated your Audio drivers?

MOBO Chipset drivers?

GPU Drivers?

Cleaned out dust-bunnies in your system heat sinks and fans?

Have you minimized how many resident memory programs you have running in the background?

If you updated to Windows 7 SP1, have you installed the HotFix:

The operating system may crash when you run a D3D application full-screen in an immediate mode on Windows 7 or on Windows Server 2008 R2

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Did you check out your PSU? (Power Supply Unit), Rift certainly pushes all graphics cards hard, especially during a major rift when i have 60+ people around me pew pewing the boss
    Might be a case of the card drawing just enough extra juice for the PSU to slightly dip on the voltage rail and cause Windoze to have a coronary
    850W Power Supply

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldebar View Post
    I haven't seen any Trion Support posts, but it really sounds like you have some driver issues going on. When your PC reboots it generally indicates a low level hardware problem, meaning driver/OS level or defective hardware.

The 70c for GPU under load isn't bad, what's your CPU core temp I wonder? Are you overclocked at all?

Have you updated your Audio drivers?

MOBO Chipset drivers?

GPU Drivers?

Cleaned out dust-bunnies in your system heat sinks and fans?

Have you minimized how many resident memory programs you have running in the background?

The operating system may crash when you run a D3D application full-screen in an immediate mode on Windows 7 or on Windows Server 2008 R2
    Nothing is overheating, I'm not overclocking at all, never had to.
    I always keep my computer dust free, (has a great air circulation system in it) nothing is overheating.
    (I dont consider logging in and instantly crashing in the game at a rift because my hardware "got too hot in that split second)
    Motherboard chipset driver is up to date.
    ATI Radeon HD 5890 is up to date.
    RealTek HD audio drivers up to date.
    Ive already gone through the steps listed in Trion's tech problems of disabling all those programs running in the backgroup to free up memory.

This is happening to a TON of people with ATI HD cards, specifically in the range of the 4000 series to the 6000 series, with a few nVIDIA card holders. This HAS to be a driver issue, but Ive done almost everything I can on my end to fix it and its still crashing like hell. Never in the 6 years of playing 20+ games of all types graphics dependent or not have I had problems like this

Shadowlander

The operating system may crash when you run a D3D application full-screen in an immediate mode on Windows 7 or on Windows Server 2008 R2[/QUOTE]

I actually did that last night, installed the x86 version (32-bit W7 here) and the game worked for about 30 min but crashed later at a rift area (not populated) I had to hard reboot again, and then I couldnt get back to Windows. I had to do a system recovery since my computer could not fix the problem itself. Once I recovered I quickly deleted that file and I dont expect I will be trying that hotfix again.

OK, I ended up uninstalling SP1 myself, my PC has had issues since I installed the released version of SP1 2 days ago (ironically the evaluation I had been ruining for a week and a half before that had given me no issues) .

OK assuming the Win 7 SP1 hasn't royally hosed something, you may have a failing PSU or GPU.

You might want to run some stress tests via a benchmark prog like Unigine or 3DMark...

As for the heat issue, I just put that out on the table. You are right, heat doesn't usually mean instant reboot on load.

However:

A reboot means something very close to or at the hardware level of your machine is at fault.

1) OS

2) Driver

3) Bios Setting

4) PSU

5) GPU

6 Motherboard

I have been having issues since SP1 with my GPU being reset, I am waiting in Queue atm to see if SP1's removal will fix my issue.

Shadowlander

let me know if that fixes it for you, I will also uninstall SP1 if you are successful.

Will do.

I really hated uninstalling, but, while it could be coincidence it also seems to be very suspect.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+7+sp1+crashes

+ Reply to Thread