+ Reply to Thread

Thread: External IP address changed?

Soulwalker

Default External IP address changed?

Hey all, I've got a problem. I'm on a school internet connection (I played multiple beta's on this connection, so I know should work). I keep getting the error "Your external IP address has changed since your authentication. Please log and and re-input your username and password"

I've restarted rift multiple times, re-logged onto my computer, and have checked IP chicken several times. It shows my ip the same everytime. Could there be any other reason for this error? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Soulwalker

Did a full restart, and still nothing,

Soulwalker

Used search and found a solution. Nevermind.

For anyone that searches and can't find it

This may sound silly - but I get this all the time when at work. I am unsure how this works, but I find if I do the following;

1. start RIFT and log in. Once I am at the error "Your IP blah Blah is different than your home and you need to log in"........ I leave this open and do not close it.

2. Then I alt TAB and start a new RIFT client again.

For some odd reason the second one has always worked for me. I then log in. Join the queue of plebs and wait at 440 and go grab a coffee.

Then I come back, Alt Tab to the IP error one and close it, then ALT TAB back to see how my craptastic one is. Then once the queue is down I am in.

Unsure (very unsure) if this helps anyone as I know at work here we have load balancing, multiple streams / modems all supporting us.

But I hope it helps some.

Thanks,

Enolkys :P

Soulwalker

WOW - two from two that it works :P

Soulwalker

Patch that just went out broke it : / Now I can't play again.

Soulwalker

I am getting this really bad today. I will play for about 30 mins, get DC'd and then it will give me this error. So I keep pounding the login for about 3 mins. Then i get logged back in.

I know my "external IP address" has not changed that quickly and that often.

This is kind of like Ubisoft DRM. Punishing the paying customer isntead of the hacker.

This 'inconvenience' will cause me to cancel

Expect this to happen frequently from school. When Im on campus I commonly lose 2-6 hours of play time per day to this. Schools don't use static IP, so the Rift servers very likely are seeing your IP as changed. There really isn't anything you can do but keep trying (I typically don't bother trying). You can try disconnecting from the school connection and reconnecting, but it's a myricale if it actually clears.

I recommend you post in the news section's security thread and mention it. I posted about it, but they need to know this issue makes the game unplayable to those behind school routers. And that's not ok with us.

Those on school routers need to be able to turn this "security feature" off and use an authenticator.
    Last edited by rabb1t; 03-18-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread