+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20 FPS regardless of settings?

Default 20 FPS regardless of settings?

I have a Intel quad core q6600 @ 2.4ghz, Nvidia 460 GT (overclocked), and a overall decent computer. But for some reason i'm only managing to get 20 fps regardless of what setting i have my game on. At custom (everything but AA maxed) i get 20, and on Low (no low quality render) i get 20. Is this a problem with my machine, or the FPS being displayed wrong or what? I get around 40 fps in FFXIV on max settings so would hope my computer could at least pull 20+ fps out of Rift.

Did you restart the game client between adjustments?

I pushed my crappy machine up to Ultra settings just to check out the slide show and then back down to low settings, but many of those features wouldn't turn on/off without restarting the game.

Ascendant

Changing res/settings & the FPS remaining the same has just secured a processor bottleneck. Overclock that Q or upgrade if you want more FPS.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Rift Disciple

you could try the Dll on this forum, http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...around./page12 it worked for me.

Soulwalker

A Q6600 at stock speed is probably bottlenecking your 460, especially if you've overclocked the card. Push the CPU to 3ghz atleast and you should see a general performance increase.

That said, nobody seems to be getting any kind of consistent framerates. There's people with much poorer systems than me reportedly getting much better frames than I am. I often sit around 20-40fps at any given time. If the beta was anything to go by, this game is horrendously optimised.

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Changing res/settings & the FPS remaining the same has just secured a processor bottleneck. Overclock that Q or upgrade if you want more FPS.
    I considered that, but considering i get better FPS in more graphically intense games (including another MMO which is more graphically intense) i was hoping that there may be a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by direwind View Post
    you could try the Dll on this forum, http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...around./page12 it worked for me.
    Thanks for the link! I'll try it tomorrow.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nite View Post
    A Q6600 at stock speed is probably bottlenecking your 460, especially if you've overclocked the card. Push the CPU to 3ghz atleast and you should see a general performance increase.

That said, nobody seems to be getting any kind of consistent framerates. There's people with much poorer systems than me reportedly getting much better frames than I am. I often sit around 20-40fps at any given time. If the beta was anything to go by, this game is horrendously optimised.
    don't blame trion just yet, the version of the gamevyro they are using has a flaw in it, fallout new vagas uses the same engine, remember the fps issue with that game at release and months afterwards? its the same issue as in rift.

hope they will fix it

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by direwind View Post
    don't blame trion just yet, the version of the gamevyro they are using has a flaw in it, fallout new vagas uses the same engine, remember the fps issue with that game at release and months afterwards? its the same issue as in rift.

hope they will fix it
    Yeah, the gamebryo engine was a pretty poor choice, an engine that scales very poorly with technology. Even so... we'll have to wait and see I guess. Hopefully things will brighten up when we get some decent drivers and mass amounts of data have been collected on Trions part.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nite View Post

I'm having the same thing. My FPS from beta is about 40 frames better than the current version. Having said that, most people with NVidia Cards are having issues with either rendering, or FPS... Seeing as there isn't a single Nvidia card in the list of "Supported" GFX cards so far...

Personally, I'm getting lightmap rendering issues on full settings, but I get 60fps... Which is nice, but the game isn't playable when you can't see the details properly.

on the "Low quality Renderer" setting, I get nothing more than 29fps constant... And still have some of my highlight textures and glow/transparency effects looking corrupted.

Waiting on new Nvidia Drivers or Trion to get onto this and start making the game more compatible... Don't really want **** framerate or inability to see things be the thing that ends this game for me, but seeing as I've been posting about these issues since beta 5...

I posted in a related thread:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post1328763

Please comment if you have any ideas/thoughts.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ruran View Post
    I considered that, but considering i get better FPS in more graphically intense games (including another MMO which is more graphically intense) i was hoping that there may be a fix.

Thanks for the link! I'll try it tomorrow.
    More graphically intense than Rift? I highly doubt that. Regardless, no point in comparing anything else to Rift because its pretty much one of a kind at this stage.

Overclock that Q & if your FPS increase you've got your answer.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

+ Reply to Thread