+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Performance issue?...Maybe?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default Performance issue?...Maybe?

    Hey guys i just wanted to get some feedback. I just built a new system for rift as fallows:

    Core i7 950 bloomfield
    24GB mushkin ram
    Ocz Vertex 120GB SSD
    2x Geforce GTX580's in SLI
    24" Monitor running 1920x1080

    I was running beta 7 client with my gfx settings on the "Ultra" settings this wasnt everything maxed just what they had set for what they felt was "Ultra".

    with this setup and at these settings i was getting between 40-50fps, and did have a slight jitter to it. I'm not sure if this is about what i should be getting or not. The reason i asked is i just listened to the riftpodcast where one of the developers said he gets 75+ fps on his i7 setup thats worth $1900. Any info or help would be appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    Josh

  2. #2
    Shadowlander Sinndaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Desolate Wasteland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftingfate View Post
    Hey guys i just wanted to get some feedback. I just built a new system for rift as fallows:

    Core i7 950 bloomfield
    24GB mushkin ram
    Ocz Vertex 120GB SSD
    2x Geforce GTX580's in SLI
    24" Monitor running 1920x1080

    I was running beta 7 client with my gfx settings on the "Ultra" settings this wasnt everything maxed just what they had set for what they felt was "Ultra".

    with this setup and at these settings i was getting between 40-50fps, and did have a slight jitter to it. I'm not sure if this is about what i should be getting or not. The reason i asked is i just listened to the riftpodcast where one of the developers said he gets 75+ fps on his i7 setup thats worth $1900. Any info or help would be appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    Josh

    That chip is crap first off. 920's are much better or if you get a new 2600k.

    What type of memory are you running? Bigger doesn't mean better unless you're doing DBMS.

    How is your SSD connected? Do you have the BIOS all set correctly? SSD are new(ish) and still have problems with the design.

    The GPU's should be good. With two make sure your 3D, physx, and other settings are all running at the proper settings. I can't tell you what settings because it all depends on what the user likes to see in the display.

    While the client side graphics are all rendered on the PC it still has latency for the client to communicate with the server. So if your PC is on steroids and the server is lagging a bit to catch up there will be a slight difference when you play.

    Make sure your PSU(Power Suplly Unit) has enough amps to max out all those cards and devices. If you don't have the amps the cards will auto-choke and you'll miss a lot of performance.
    Last edited by Sinndaria; 02-23-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: On pain meds fixing typos!
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Wow my brain hurts after reading that.

    You pour all this money into an outdated CPU and buy more RAM than you'd need to work at NASA. Rift (and all games, for that matter) are 32bit applications. That means they can only even access 2 gigs of ram.

    If you want to throw money away without researching what your buying, send some my way please.

    For reference, my $1500 PC gets 60fps, highest setting beyond ultra, full AA and full shadows.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Sinndaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Desolate Wasteland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Wow my brain hurts after reading that.

    You pour all this money into an outdated CPU and buy more RAM than you'd need to work at NASA. Rift (and all games, for that matter) are 32bit applications. That means they can only even access 2 gigs of ram.

    If you want to throw money away without researching what your buying, send some my way please.

    For reference, my $1500 PC gets 60fps, highest setting beyond ultra, full AA and full shadows.
    I've never spent that much. I'll wait 6months to drop the prices and build a beast that lasts me 4-5years until it's really outdated but still is a workhorse.

    My Oracle server doesn't even have 24gig. It's a smaller one but still.
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default aye

    i didnt get all that ram for this game. but thanks for the help

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default aye

    anyone have some advice i can use. like settings i can try and change ect?

  7. #7
    Telaran Ladyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndaria View Post
    That chip is crap first off. 920's are much better or if you get a new 2600k.
    What? At least all 950 chips are D0 stepping and 920 chips aren't "much better" (as you put it) than 950 chips, seeing as 950s are higher binned rofl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftingfate View Post
    anyone have some advice i can use. like settings i can try and change ect?
    Is your i7 running at stock? If so, buy an aftermarket cooler and OC it to 4.0.

    PS: No offense, but 580 SLI running @ 1080p is such a waste. Two of them are meant for huge resolutions like 2650x1600 or Nvidia Surround (5760x1200/1080)
    Last edited by Ladyface; 02-23-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | Core i7 950 @ 4.0GHz | Thermalright HR-02 | G.Skill PI Black (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480
    Silverstone Fortress 2 FT02B-W | Seasonic X650 | Dell 2407WFP | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB + Samsung F3 - 500GB x 2
    Heatware: MissJ84

  8. #8
    Plane Walker SWTORlooksbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Josh, Facelady brings up a good point if that CPU is not overclocked there's no way it can keep up with sli 580's in fact I'd be surprised if your receiving any benefit at all from the second card. As for building on old hardware, whats done is done so I wouldn't let it get you down.
    Last edited by SWTORlooksbad; 02-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander Sinndaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Desolate Wasteland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyface View Post
    What? At least all 950 chips are D0 stepping and 920 chips aren't "much better" (as you put it) than 950 chips, seeing as 950s are higher binned rofl.



    Is your i7 running at stock? If so, buy an aftermarket cooler and OC it to 4.0.

    PS: No offense, but 580 SLI running @ 1080p is such a waste. Two of them are meant for huge resolutions like 2650x1600 or Nvidia Surround (5760x1200/1080)
    Umm.. The last 920's are DO stepping and its' proven in every OC forum they are the best bang for the buck. Why spend all that extra money when you can OC a 920 passed 4ghz on air at a lower wattage/voltage? Same reason people dont OC the 940.

    The 930/40/50 replaced the 920 as intel was losing too much money because people were OCing the 920 passed the 980xtremes...
    Last edited by Sinndaria; 02-23-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: intel info
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara BlackUdder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Ahh, there are 64 bit games.

    OP -

    Look for some SLI threads in the tech forums. Some people had to do some tweaking to get SLI working properly (though you may want to see if retail release fixes this issue first). I know my crossfire will only work for a few minutes before disabling itself.

    Also, look at overclocking your CPU. This game is heavily CPU dependent.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    ok for starters the 920 is complete garbage, runs way to hot with to much voltage to even think about reaching the speeds a 950 can hit. I'm runnin the 950 right now at 4.0ghz at 1.35v stable under prime and occt. Now lets see what a 920 is gonna need to hit 4.0....exactly nuff said ktksbai.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Sinndaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Desolate Wasteland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbosak View Post
    ok for starters the 920 is complete garbage, runs way to hot with to much voltage to even think about reaching the speeds a 950 can hit. I'm runnin the 950 right now at 4.0ghz at 1.35v stable under prime and occt. Now lets see what a 920 is gonna need to hit 4.0....exactly nuff said ktksbai.
    LOL That's why the 920 is the OCers choice when the i's came out right? And 1.35v??? I don't come anywhere NEAR that on my 920 for 4.2ghz... LOL and I run prim95 and linpack stable 24/hr.

    Right now my 920 is at 1.25v @ 4.2ghz on TRUblack air cooling. Learn before you post.
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndaria View Post
    LOL That's why the 920 is the OCers choice when the i's came out right? And 1.35v??? I don't come anywhere NEAR that on my 920 for 4.2ghz... LOL and I run prim95 and linpack stable 24/hr.

    Right now my 920 is at 1.25v @ 4.2ghz on TRUblack air cooling. Learn before you post.
    The 920 is better than the 950, & the 950 is crap? LoLWOT?... Op isn't overclocking if you didn't notice, so the 950 will stomp the 920 at stock, period. Perhaps you should learn before you post.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  14. #14
    Telaran Ladyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndaria View Post
    Umm.. The last 920's are DO stepping and its' proven in every OC forum they are the best bang for the buck. Why spend all that extra money when you can OC a 920 passed 4ghz on air at a lower wattage/voltage? Same reason people dont OC the 940.

    The 930/40/50 replaced the 920 as intel was losing too much money because people were OCing the 920 passed the 980xtremes...
    Because, like a lot of other people, I picked up my 950 from Microcenter for $200. By that time, there weren't any 920 chips in stock anywhere. What you're saying only applied prior to August 2010.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | Core i7 950 @ 4.0GHz | Thermalright HR-02 | G.Skill PI Black (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480
    Silverstone Fortress 2 FT02B-W | Seasonic X650 | Dell 2407WFP | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB + Samsung F3 - 500GB x 2
    Heatware: MissJ84

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Sinndaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Desolate Wasteland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyface View Post
    Because, like a lot of other people, I picked up my 950 from Microcenter for $200. By that time, there weren't any 920 chips in stock anywhere. What you're saying only applied prior to August 2010.
    I see 920's D0 stepping all the time online.

    Just because it says 950 and the number is bigger doesn't make it better.
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts