+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSD and Rift

Shadowlander

Default SSD and Rift

I have noticed during all the beta events that rift seems stutter or hitch slightly(client installed on a SSD)my fps are fine as im running 2 gtx 470 in SLI. Anyone else encounter this problem? and know a fix maby?

Quote Originally Posted by jbosak View Post
    I have noticed during all the beta events that rift seems stutter or hitch slightly(client installed on a SSD)my fps are fine as im running 2 gtx 470 in SLI. Anyone else encounter this problem? and know a fix maby?
    the debugging code constantly reading and writing to the ssd will cause this, it "should" stop on retail tho

Hope it is not a problem cause I am buying an ssd in a few hours and was going to install client on it

Quote Originally Posted by Lolibeth View Post
    Hope it is not a problem cause I am buying an ssd in a few hours and was going to install client on it
    As i said.......

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    the debugging code constantly reading and writing to the ssd will cause this, it "should" stop on retail tho

What is best ?

1) Install windows on SSD and Rift Client on WD Black Edition Sata III
    2) Have windows on WD and Rift Client on SSD
    3) Have both windows and Rift on SSD

What is best ?

1) Install windows on SSD and Rift Client on WD Black Edition Sata III
    2) Have windows on WD and Rift Client on SSD
    3) Have both windows and Rift on SSD
    Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.

Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.
    And you know anyone who cannot use his SSD now? Not the first crappy ones, but like Intel X-25 M G2 n stuff.

There's really no need to worry anymore about the lifetime of SSD's. If you can afford a large enough SSD to store everything on it, go for it. However, it seems a lot of people choose a smaller SSD with a larger HDD to save money.

I have 2 ssd's in raid0. I have no issues what so ever.The op may be experiencing latency or any other server side problems .Don't panic

I am getting

OCZ Vertex 2 Series 120GB SSD and have also Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata III)

Rift Chaser

I am getting

OCZ Vertex 2 Series 120GB SSD and have also Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata III)
    Put both the OS and Rift on there, you will have plenty of space left.

I have NO problems at all with rift on my SSD.
    I highly recommend downloading CrystalDiskInfo, this will help not only in the SSD dept, but will also give you much more info on your other drives.

Yeah typical W/R cycles or MTBF ..Mean Time Before Failure is between 1 mill. to 2 Mil. depending on model, or translated into laymans use or terms about 5 years.Party on wayne
    Last edited by TerminusEst; 02-23-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
    Yeah typical W/R cycles or MTBF ..Mean Time Before Failure is between 1 mill. to 2 Mil. depending on model, or translated into laymans use or terms about 5 years.Party on wayne
    Ah they've improved then. Havent really kept up on the SSD front due to cost to size ration, not practical yet

Quote Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
    Add a 0 to the end of that 5.

Edit: And that's 50 years constantly writing to the disk at maximum speed no less.
    Last edited by MochaFlux; 02-23-2011 at 08:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast