+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: SSD and Rift

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default SSD and Rift

    I have noticed during all the beta events that rift seems stutter or hitch slightly(client installed on a SSD)my fps are fine as im running 2 gtx 470 in SLI. Anyone else encounter this problem? and know a fix maby?

  2. #2
    Ascendant ThatTomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbosak View Post
    I have noticed during all the beta events that rift seems stutter or hitch slightly(client installed on a SSD)my fps are fine as im running 2 gtx 470 in SLI. Anyone else encounter this problem? and know a fix maby?
    the debugging code constantly reading and writing to the ssd will cause this, it "should" stop on retail tho

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Lolibeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hope it is not a problem cause I am buying an ssd in a few hours and was going to install client on it

  4. #4
    Ascendant ThatTomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolibeth View Post
    Hope it is not a problem cause I am buying an ssd in a few hours and was going to install client on it
    As i said.......

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    the debugging code constantly reading and writing to the ssd will cause this, it "should" stop on retail tho

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Lolibeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    What is best ?

    1) Install windows on SSD and Rift Client on WD Black Edition Sata III
    2) Have windows on WD and Rift Client on SSD
    3) Have both windows and Rift on SSD

  6. #6
    Ascendant ThatTomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolibeth View Post
    What is best ?

    1) Install windows on SSD and Rift Client on WD Black Edition Sata III
    2) Have windows on WD and Rift Client on SSD
    3) Have both windows and Rift on SSD
    Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.

  7. #7
    Banned Deviltry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    near ze baltic sea
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.
    And you know anyone who cannot use his SSD now? Not the first crappy ones, but like Intel X-25 M G2 n stuff.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched MochaFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.
    There's really no need to worry anymore about the lifetime of SSD's. If you can afford a large enough SSD to store everything on it, go for it. However, it seems a lot of people choose a smaller SSD with a larger HDD to save money.

  9. #9
    General of Telara TerminusEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yinzer Nation
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolibeth View Post
    Hope it is not a problem cause I am buying an ssd in a few hours and was going to install client on it
    I have 2 ssd's in raid0. I have no issues what so ever.The op may be experiencing latency or any other server side problems .Don't panic

  10. #10
    Soulwalker Lolibeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I am getting

    OCZ Vertex 2 Series 120GB SSD and have also Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata III)

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolibeth View Post
    I am getting

    OCZ Vertex 2 Series 120GB SSD and have also Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata III)
    Put both the OS and Rift on there, you will have plenty of space left.

  12. #12
    Telaran Whacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver,Colorado
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I have NO problems at all with rift on my SSD.
    I highly recommend downloading CrystalDiskInfo, this will help not only in the SSD dept, but will also give you much more info on your other drives.

  13. #13
    General of Telara TerminusEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yinzer Nation
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Install only the OS on the ssd with all games and apps elsewhere. You will gain OS performance without the constant read/write cycles to the SSD. SSD are designed with x amount of read/writes cycles as its lifetime.
    Yeah typical W/R cycles or MTBF ..Mean Time Before Failure is between 1 mill. to 2 Mil. depending on model, or translated into laymans use or terms about 5 years.Party on wayne
    Last edited by TerminusEst; 02-23-2011 at 08:23 AM.

  14. #14
    Ascendant ThatTomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
    Yeah typical W/R cycles or MTBF ..Mean Time Before Failure is between 1 mill. to 2 Mil. depending on model, or translated into laymans use or terms about 5 years.Party on wayne
    Ah they've improved then. Havent really kept up on the SSD front due to cost to size ration, not practical yet

  15. #15
    Plane Touched MochaFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
    Yeah typical W/R cycles or MTBF ..Mean Time Before Failure is between 1 mill. to 2 Mil. depending on model, or translated into laymans use or terms about 5 years.Party on wayne
    Add a 0 to the end of that 5.

    Edit: And that's 50 years constantly writing to the disk at maximum speed no less.
    Last edited by MochaFlux; 02-23-2011 at 08:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts