+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If in doubt..downgrade to Windows XP

Soulwalker

Default If in doubt..downgrade to Windows XP

I was getting around 20 to 30 FPS with medium detail (15 to 20 ultra detail) at 1600x900 with a fresh install of Windows 7 32bit Ultimate with the following hardware:

Intel Core2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz
    4 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    ATI RADEON 4850 512MB

I was using 2GB memory initially but upgrading it to 4 only gave me around 5 additional fps. Reinstalling XP 32bit Pro boosted my performance to 40 to 60 fps medium detail (25 to 40 ultra detail). I also have 3 other similarly spec'd PC in my house (wife and roomates also looking forward to playing Rift) who also downgraded and achieved similar results.

I should note that two of the PCs have NVIDIA 9600 GT 512MB adapters which consistently have higher minimum fps than the two systems with RADEON 4850s.

Hopefully better ATI support (or better drivers from ATI) willl help the situation, but the game only uses DX9 and if this is going to be your primary game for awhile I highly recommend dual booting to XP. I tried XP Mode within Windows 7 but it's pretty much a virtual environment and sucks for gaming.

Incidentally I'm a computer technician for 15 years and know to install chipset drivers, make sure my memory is running in dual channel mode, turn of unnecessary Windows services etc. I've tried everything and Rift just runs considerably better in XP..much more than the 10% to 15% boost I would have expected over 7.

Rift Chaser

I don't think returning to a decade old operating system is the best advice one can give.

Plane Touched

Tell us how the difference is on Win 7 SP1 will you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wumpus View Post
    I was getting around 20 to 30 FPS with medium detail (15 to 20 ultra detail) at 1600x900 with a fresh install of Windows 7 32bit Ultimate with the following hardware:

4 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    ATI RADEON 4850 512MB

I was using 2GB memory initially but upgrading it to 4 only gave me around 5 additional fps. Reinstalling XP 32bit Pro boosted my performance to 40 to 60 fps medium detail (25 to 40 ultra detail). I also have 3 other similarly spec'd PC in my house (wife and roomates also looking forward to playing Rift) who also downgraded and achieved similar results.

I should note that two of the PCs have NVIDIA 9600 GT 512MB adapters which consistently have higher minimum fps than the two systems with RADEON 4850s.

Hopefully better ATI support (or better drivers from ATI) willl help the situation, but the game only uses DX9 and if this is going to be your primary game for awhile I highly recommend dual booting to XP. I tried XP Mode within Windows 7 but it's pretty much a virtual environment and sucks for gaming.

Incidentally I'm a computer technician for 15 years and know to install chipset drivers, make sure my memory is running in dual channel mode, turn of unnecessary Windows services etc. I've tried everything and Rift just runs considerably better in XP..much more than the 10% to 15% boost I would have expected over 7.
    Thats because windows 7 will tax the poo out of a 9600gt. 9600 just like the 8600 and the 7600 are the half cripled but not completely crippled midrange budget card.

Telaran

Um, Win XP > Win Vista
    but NOT
    Win XP > Win 7

Win 7 is better, and can handle more RAMz
    ASUS G73SW - OS: WIN7 64-BIT - RAM: 8.00GB - GFX: NVIDIA GTX 460M - CPU: INTEL I7-2630QM 2.00-3.50GHz
    Server: Faemist - Cleric: ZeitFist. Rogue: Zeitgeist. Mage: Ceadeus

Quote Originally Posted by Ceadeus View Post
    Um, Win XP > Win Vista
    but NOT
    Win XP > Win 7

yes but on a budget graphics card the whole system will suffer. OP's issue wasnt about ram, but about Frames Per Second (fps)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceadeus View Post
    Um, Win XP > Win Vista
    but NOT
    Win XP > Win 7

Why does everyone think this?

There is a 64 bit version of XP.

Plane Touched

Win7 cannot handle more RAM than WinXP. XD
    Both OS's have 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Demp View Post
    Why does everyone think this?

There is a 64 bit version of XP.
    I wouldnt advise XP64 to even my most hated enemy. Driver support is horrible

Yeah, that is it's only real downfall. No argument here, I used it for years, and drivers were a real pita, but if you are able to make everything work, it works very well.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    I wouldnt advise XP64 to even my most hated enemy. Driver support is horrible
    Yeah I know, had it as my main OS for a couple of years until upgraded to Win7.
    The components I used did have frequent driver updates tho. ;)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by The Wumpus View Post

4 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    ATI RADEON 4850 512MB

And I have found Win7 to be superior to XP in every way, even gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDimon View Post
    Tell us how the difference is on Win 7 SP1 will you?
    How the **** Windows 7 SP1 is different from my current fully updated Windows 7? I'll just skip this update 'till I hear that SP2 is comming out, then maybe, maybe.

And yes, on Direct-X 9 Windows XP gives more performance. But... I mean I never used Windows XP, if Microsoft allowed that default theme to exist, they sucked really, really, really hard. 'twas Windows 98 (got fed up), then Debian -> Gentoo -> ArchLinux -> Windows 7. And now I'm a .NET developer. Windows XP would even **** up my SSD, lol.
    Last edited by Deviltry; 02-23-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordakk View Post
    And I have found Win7 to be superior to XP in every way, even gaming.
    With the same aging hardware as the OP has?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    With the same aging hardware as the OP has?
    Direct-X 11 on multicore systems is great. But for aging games like Rift, Windows XP is better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast