+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blocked/Slow download speeds all of a sudden?

Default Blocked/Slow download speeds all of a sudden?

During Beta 2-6 I was doing great and downloading at a typical speed around 500-700 Kb/sec. Now I seem to be locked and the download will not rise over 90 Kb/sec

At speedtest.com I have a download of 5.76 Mb/sec and an Upload of .93 Mb/sec

I really have no idea what changed to slow my network to Rift so bad, I have closed down all firewalls to see if it would increase that didn't do anything and I updated my network drivers. Any ideas?

Telaran

Depending on your ISP they bottleneck your speeds during certain hours. Speedtest will show your fastest speed. For example im with Bell Canada, I won't even bother downloading till 1am as it's the fastest.

Soulwalker

It downloaded at max speed for me which was 750kb/s. My buddy who has cable was downloading it at 2.6mb/s. Both of us downloaded it last night.

Telaran

I am currently downloading the patch and have been sitting at 2.31mps since I started.. It may be your isp.

And its just Rift for some reason to, or actually out sourced downloads from the web. So if I download off the web direct it downloads at 600 vs 90 max on programs.

downloaded entire thing no slower than 3.21

I mean the game will still be ready by tomorrow so its not that big of a deal, but it is quite fustrating seeing a locked 90 Kb/sec on the screen when I have been downloading other things much faster even while the rift is downloading without wavering its big 90 number.

Plane Touched

I'd call the ISP and check if they throttle traffic that's not on port 80.

Just fixed it on my own...For some reason Port 3 on my router is messed up somehow. Switched my ethernet cord to Port 4 and now is blazing along at 700 Kb/sec

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zizos View Post
    Just fixed it on my own...For some reason Port 3 on my router is messed up somehow. Switched my ethernet cord to Port 4 and now is blazing along at 700 Kb/sec
    Zizos I am having the same issue as you and saw you are also from Connecticut. Do you use U-verse? I'm at work so I can not try your method yet but curious if I am running into the same exact issue.

I'm stuck around 89-90kb when my speedtest is a little under 6mb and any other program not named Rift downloads at 700kb+. Follow the guide to open ports and made sure the firewall was not affected it to no avail.
    Last edited by Chambers; 02-23-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Soulwalker

Default speed and simple fix for error 1152

Simple fix with error 1152 found: created a new folder called "RIFT PLAYER" in my download folder. Moved the Rift Extraction file into it. Launched it. It worked!

The download rate is controlled by your ISP as well as your equipment settings and limitations. I ran all of those tests and checks as well as upgraded my equipment! Also, check the sleep or hibernation on your system. I found that my downloads would throttle back to basically zero (from 700+) when my system went into a low power or sleep mode.

Hope this helps some.

The problem is entirely with Trion's content delivery vendor. Changing the host that your patcher points to will move you back up to 1+Mb/s

the rest of these people are making **** up.

Soulwalker

Yes i think that might be one of the many problems for me, i have no issues with the download during the day when i occasionaly move the mouse so my comp does not go on sleep mode.
    But for the past 2 days as i left the download on in the night , my comp invariably went on sleep mode at some point and my download stopped after 20 mins (time set for comp/monitor sleep), so i got very little download done and wasted 2 nights at a row. I will try and do what you said and see if tonight makes a difference. Thanks for the input, every little bit helps
    Last edited by Miou; 02-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread