+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading Graphic Card Drivers (ATI Catalyst) advice

Default Upgrading Graphic Card Drivers (ATI Catalyst) advice

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card, support by the ATI Catalyst. Basically I bought this computer about half a year ago, in September, and ever since then I haven`t upgraded the graphic card driver. So currently I`m running with an 8.7 version, while the latest version is 11.2.

I would like some advice/assurance from anyone that has done the graphic card driver upgraded with an ATI card, because from what I hear it there is also a chance once in a while when you upgrade it that it might screw up other stuff within the system

And also, has anyone seen a much better performance playing RIFT by updating the drivers?

Lag
    Telaran

i don't really know my dads pc that was playing rift on his HD4870 with verison 10.1 and it ran fine on ultra i saw no need to update the drivers
    Last edited by Lag; 02-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.

First download the latest catalyst from amd.com

Uninstall your old drivers. use Driver Sweeper to remove any old leftover graphic drivers.
    Install latest driver you just downloaded.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Quote Originally Posted by Kalec View Post
    First download the latest catalyst from amd.com

Uninstall your old drivers. use Driver Sweeper to remove any old leftover graphic drivers.
    Install latest driver you just downloaded.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
    All of this, but run driver sweeper in safe mode, reboot then install the latest drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeUnBeAtAbLe View Post
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card, support by the ATI Catalyst. Basically I bought this computer about half a year ago, in September, and ever since then I haven`t upgraded the graphic card driver. So currently I`m running with an 8.7 version, while the latest version is 11.2.

I would like some advice/assurance from anyone that has done the graphic card driver upgraded with an ATI card, because from what I hear it there is also a chance once in a while when you upgrade it that it might screw up other stuff within the system

And also, has anyone seen a much better performance playing RIFT by updating the drivers?
    I have this card, and use 11.2, didn't see any performance difference in the last few from 10.10 or so, also, the driver version and the Catalyst version are not the same.
    Catalyst 11.2 uses AMD display driver version 8.821. Catalyst 10.9 uses driver version 8.771. A very confusing version numbering scheme, imo.

Since the HD 5770 came out in late '09 or so, it'd have come with Catalyst 9.11 probably, not 8.7 which would have been July '08. So likely you are using the driver version 8.7, and therefore are fairly current, not as woefully out of date as the 8.7/11.2 comparison would sound.

TL;DR? It may be worth giving a shot, but as I said, I saw no real noticeable difference.
    Let us know how it works out for you, and good luck.
    Last edited by Misterlister; 02-23-2011 at 02:29 AM.

I did notice a difference between 10.x that i had to 11.2. Initially my framerate varied an unacceptable level - something like 19-65 fps. With the driver update it bought it to an acceptable level, but i still found it to be lower than what would be expected, something which can be put down to the game engine more than anything else. Either way i dont see any harm in changing to the newer drivers, if you get improved fps then happy days.

As was said earlier, you can uninstall it through control panel. Tick the display driver in the ati uninstall wizard (i choose catalyst control center also as it changes sometimes like it did from 10.x to 11.2). Reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper, than boot back into windows and install the newly downloaded drivers and your set.

+ Reply to Thread