+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How will Rift run on my computer, and is it worth a video card upgrade?

Soulwalker

Question How will Rift run on my computer, and is it worth a video card upgrade?

Here's my current setup (it's about 2 years old):
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
    • 2 x EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 (running SLI)
    • EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    • 2x (8GB total) OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    • Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

How well do you think this setup will run Rift? Not sure what graphics settings I will have to sacrifice to get better game play, but I really do enjoy the scenery of MMO's when they are as detailed as the Rift landscape.

Should I even bother upgrading any of the components of this setup, or should I just wait a while and build another computer? I don't have a whole let of extra funds right now... so it would kind of be slim pickins. If I did upgrade anything, what do you think would give me the most bang for my buck for better graphics performance?

Thanks in advance for the info!

I assume you're on 64-bit Windows with all that RAM?

If I were you, I'd overclock the processor, and scrap those two video cards for like a cheap 460, they're like 150 right now.

You could probably play the game on high settings with most shadowing disabled. I'm just guessing here because I haven't benched a 460 myself.
    Last edited by Matteis; 02-22-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Soulwalker

You will be able to play it at very acceptable frame rates on medium setting. By acceptable I mean 50-60 fps out in the wild, mid 20s during rifts and in major cities. The 460 is cheap and would be a good upgrade for you, however I don't know how much. Your processor is "good", but it is nowhere near the power of an i7. Because of this, it may not push the 460 to the proper limits.

Lag
    Telaran

yours will play fine, my specs are below and i run the game on ultra with my FPS at 50-60 in easy areas and 25-35 in taxing high FX areas/times

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor BE @ 4.11GHz
    x2 4 GB A-Data DDR3 XMP 1600 @ 1688Mhz 1.6v
    x1 EVGA 9800+ GTX
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
    and his system would probably push the 460 fine, your thinking more of the 470 or 480 that would bottleneck
    Last edited by Lag; 02-23-2011 at 12:43 AM.

More than fine. if you wanted to upgrade, get an SSD for your OS/gaming install. A good size is 120GB.
    OC you CPU will help, just be sure to get a good aftermarket cooler.
    Make sure you video card driver is upto date.

Canada
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=41...e=COOLERMASTER

USA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-065-_-Product
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Quote Originally Posted by Matteis View Post
    I assume you're on 64-bit Windows with all that RAM?

If I were you, I'd overclock the processor

This. Get an aftermarket cooler and get it up to at least 3.6 or you could sell it and drop in a Q9550. Also, what res is your monitor? Depending on what resolution you're running, a Q6600 running at stock could easily be bottle necking your SLI setup, not to mention it'd be pointless to recommend a GPU without knowing your res.
    Last edited by Ladyface; 02-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyface View Post
    This. Get an aftermarket cooler and get it up to 3.6 or you could sell it and drop in a Q9550. Also, what res is your monitor? Its pointless recommending a graphics card without knowing this.

/agree with this , buy a good aftermarket cooler n take the cpu to 3.6 ghz easy

As for monitor resolution , if youre not running 1920 x 1080 + i wouldent both upgrading graphics cards

If you are running 1920 x 1080 + i would get 2 x GTX 460, 768mb they can be picked up for $130 each

you would see massive boost on higher resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by decrypter View Post
    /agree with this , buy a good aftermarket cooler n take the cpu to 3.6 ghz easy

As for monitor resolution , if youre not running 1920 x 1080 + i wouldent both upgrading graphics cards

If you are running 1920 x 1080 + i would get 2 x GTX 460, 768mb they can be picked up for $130 each

you would see massive boost on higher resolutions
    You will give the guy his money back if he doesn't get what you wrote about ?

+ Reply to Thread