+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is rifts a 32 bit program?

Default is rifts a 32 bit program?

i was just wondering because the setup for the new release launcher wants me to install the game to the 32 bit program files folder

Quote Originally Posted by adddemon View Post
    i was just wondering because the setup for the new release launcher wants me to install the game to the 32 bit program files folder
    Yes, it's 32-bit. It will only use up 2GB of RAM because of this. People on 32-bit O/Ses are probably gonna wish they were on 64 to really give Rift way more wiggle room.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by adddemon View Post
    yes. beta was 32bit and live is 32bit. a lot of ppl run 32bit systems. 64bit is capable of running 32bit apps. therefore to hit the broadest compatibility range make it 32bit.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Shadowlander

So, to clarify. Running an x64 system with 8G of ram, only two will be used due to the 32 bit restriction?
    Last edited by bamfcoco; 02-22-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteis View Post
    Yes, it's 32-bit. It will only use up 2GB of RAM because of this. People on 32-bit O/Ses are probably gonna wish they were on 64 to really give Rift way more wiggle room.
    But a 64 bit system running a 32 bit program is still limited to 2GB.. Well, technically 4 GB, and easily 3 with a bootstrap command. But since it's 32bit, nothing will change its 4GB allocation limit.

To be clear, 32bit means a max of 4GB can be used for that program. Standard OS rules allocate half that 2GB, to the game, and the other half to the OS and its supporting roles. You can change it so that Windows XP allocates 3GB to the game in the boot.ini.

This all changes if RIFT is LAA (Large Address Aware) if it IS, then running an x64 system will allow the 32bit program to eat its whole 4GB allocation limit.
    Last edited by NegativeZero; 02-22-2011 at 11:11 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by bamfcoco View Post
    So, to clarify. Running an x64 system with 8G of ram, only two will be used due to the 32 bit restriction?
    maybe.
    in Rift i have never seen memory utilization go above 3GB. now that is considering that i have rift and advancedcombattracker running at the same time + whatever little bit the OS takes as well. so there really isnt much going on.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-22-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Shadowlander

Default to clarify...

Its a 4GB limit for 32bit systems... and 4GB limit refers to total ADDRESSABLE memory space and not just the RAM installed. It’s a total made up of system RAM, graphics RAM, PCI memory range, ACPI and a few other bits and pieces. And if you think that your system RAM is the only significant factor, think again. You can buy graphics cards fitted with 1GB or RAM, and if you wanted (and had the spare cash!) you could fit three of these into a system. There’s not a 1 to 1 relationship between graphics memeory consuming system RAM, but the larger the memory, the more the card sets aside for itself. Now that 4GB limit doesn’t leave you a lot of space for system RAM. Unless TRION made made the client Large Address Aware by setting flags upon compilation...

(edit) aparrently -0 and i were typing the same thing at the same time..., lolz.
    Last edited by Zzyzxx; 02-22-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Shadowlander

Haha, well thanks to the both of you for clarifying. Here's to hoping there is LAA!
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC'd @ 4.01 ghz
    8GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3 1600mhz
    NVIDIA GTX 460 HAWK 1G
    Logitech G19 (The Bard Savior) & Sidewinder

Shadowlander

Default if it isnt...

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

here is a utility to make 32bit executables LAA....

HOWEVER

it modifies the client and thusly violates the TOS/EULA

with the WOW release of Cata however... permission WAS requested and GRANTED by Blizzard to use this utility on the WOW client to help some people with RAM issues.

obviously PERMISSION would need to be granted by TRION prior to using such a method, in case they have some type of anti-hacking/warden-esque measures implemented.

but, if you are having issues, there exists this method as a POTENTIAL solution (again, with TRIONS PERMISSION of course)

naturally, if TRION had the forethought to make the client LAA... then all of this is moot.
    Last edited by Zzyzxx; 02-22-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Shadowlander

WTB an Abbie post on the above post!
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC'd @ 4.01 ghz
    8GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3 1600mhz
    NVIDIA GTX 460 HAWK 1G
    Logitech G19 (The Bard Savior) & Sidewinder

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Matteis View Post
    not really
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../rifterror.jpg

Cool

fixed it.

downloaded the one from the email, it gave me the error.
    so i downloaded the one from:
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/headstart/index.php
    and it worked. im guessing the email dl was corrupted.

btw my new rig will be an 8gig. newegg had a sale. hyperx going 4gb for $20 after mir. so i snagged 2, which turned out to be the max u can get and still get the rebate. so $40 for 8gb of 1600 sounds good to me
    Last edited by Bladrx; 02-22-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Shadowlander

Default just an fyi

all this will do for you... is allow the client to address 3gb instead of the normal 2gb. you still wont have access to all 8gb

generally this fix is reserved for people on a 32bit OS that have 4gb of system ram and perhaps a few 1gb gfx cards in SLI/Crossfire mode and are hitting the 2gb program cap more readily and are getting repeated CTD's (crash to desktop) because of it.

it MAY improve performance on specific 64x configurations, but its not guaranteed.

(It's kinda like taking vitamins... It's great if yer deficient, but rather pointless if yer already at optimum health.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzxx View Post
    all this will do for you... is allow the client to address 3gb instead of the normal 2gb. you still wont have access to all 8gb

generally this fix is reserved for people on a 32bit OS that have 4gb of system ram and perhaps a few 1gb gfx cards in SLI/Crossfire mode and are hitting the 2gb program cap more readily and are getting repeated CTD's (crash to desktop) because of it.

it MAY improve performance on specific 64x configurations, but its not guaranteed.

(It's kinda like taking vitamins... It's great if yer deficient, but rather pointless if yer already at optimum health.)
    im not usnig this setup just for gaming, im usually multitasking. but the main thing was this: i was looking @ g.skill ripjaws going for 4gb 1600 @ 49.99. but then i saw the hyperx on sale. so i figured id switch and get 2ce the ram and save $9

Shadowlander

Default nothing personal

Quote Originally Posted by Bladrx View Post
    im not usnig this setup just for gaming, im usually multitasking. but the main thing was this: i was looking @ g.skill ripjaws going for 4gb 1600 @ 49.99. but then i saw the hyperx on sale. so i figured id switch and get 2ce the ram and save $9

but my response was not directed to YOU and your recent ram purchase.

my response was directed at the OP and those voicing 32 bit and LAA concerns in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast