+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assets Folder

Soulwalker

Default Assets Folder

So i dropped my assets folder from beta7 into the rift directory. I launched the patcher and the file checker went through and deleted the files it didnt want and in turn lowered my total download to 5gb. Think its gonna be borked? =p

Quote Originally Posted by Caesah View Post
    So i dropped my assets folder from beta7 into the rift directory. I launched the patcher and the file checker went through and deleted the files it didnt want and in turn lowered my total download to 5gb. Think its gonna be borked? =p
    Well, thanks for being a Guinea Pig, please let us now how that works out.

To be honest, I just went ahead and listened to Trion. They know better than all of us how their client/game behaves, therefore, if they recommend deleting all the beta files, I follow suit.

Last thing I'd want is finding out on LAUNCH DAY the 24th that the game is somehow screwed and I have to wait the whole afternoon to download it from scratch again, sheesh! Why even risk it guys?

I took the instructions literally:

I uninstalled the game via the uninstaller but I left any remaining files where they were left.

The live game patcher is installing into a new folder anyway, however the game settings folder appears to be the same as beta.

Soulwalker

ya i have to admit i did the same where i live they charge bandwidth per month and its like 2.5$ per gig so this 5gb is hurting the pocket book as it is i would have perfered just a 20mb patch from beta

I did the same, except that it didn't delete any files. You might notice that it makes "jumps" while downloading missing parts, which is presumably the data you already have. Whether the end result works, I'm not sure. Mine went from 0 to about 1.4 GB (that's the size of the audio folder, which is almost certainly unchanged static data), then downloaded a bit, then jumped to 2.3 GB, where it's downloading again. Did your parcher go straight to 3+GB downloaded?

Soulwalker

i forgot to mention i have two copies downloading, one for myself and one for my gf. my laptop is the guinea pig using the asset drop method. my desktop is downloading from scatch. ill let you know how it pans out come feb24th. oh and to last poster, it has not jumped or done anything abnormal as of yet.
    Last edited by Caesah; 02-22-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    I did the same, except that it didn't delete any files. You might notice that it makes "jumps" while downloading missing parts, which is presumably the data you already have. Whether the end result works, I'm not sure. Mine went from 0 to about 1.4 GB (that's the size of the audio folder, which is almost certainly unchanged static data), then downloaded a bit, then jumped to 2.3 GB, where it's downloading again. Did your parcher go straight to 3+GB downloaded?
    nope mine scanned and is downloading 5gb of stuff i dont got like i got audio pak 5 and 6 and its downloading 1-4 for example so it is getting 5gb of files i dont have so far 2gb of downloaded stuff out of 5gb

Champion of Telara

i forgot to mention i have two copies downloading, one for myself and one for my gf. my laptop is the guinea pig using the asset drop method. my desktop is downloading from scatch. ill let you know how it pans out come feb24th. oh and to last poster, it has not jumped or done anything abnormal as of yet.
    Why download two. Download it the proper way on one and transfer it over O.o

100MB/s internal network > 10MB/s downstream.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Soulwalker

both will be done no matter what =p

Ah, I figured out why I had a different result. I had copied the beta-Assets folder into the Download sub-folder of the release directory. When I moved it to the top-level, it scanned the files, deleted some, and 3 GB remained, with the download being 5.x GB.

I did some snooping and found the file recovery.manifest, which is just a plain text file that contains the file names, checksums and byte sizes. I compared some of the Assets files that were not deleted, and the checksums and sizes matched exactly.

I'm relatively sure that this will work and reduce the download by about 3 GB. For people with fast connections and no download limits this is not an advisable approach, though for those of us with these restrictions it may be a viable option. Success isn't guaranteed, though.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    Ah, I figured out why I had a different result. I had copied the beta-Assets folder into the Download sub-folder of the release directory. When I moved it to the top-level, it scanned the files, deleted some, and 3 GB remained, with the download being 5.x GB.

I did some snooping and found the file recovery.manifest, which is just a plain text file that contains the file names, checksums and byte sizes. I compared some of the Assets files that were not deleted, and the checksums and sizes matched exactly.

I'm relatively sure that this will work and reduce the download by about 3 GB. For people with fast connections and no download limits this is not an advisable approach, though for those of us with these restrictions it may be a viable option. Success isn't guaranteed, though.
    well mine is finished downloading and it applyed and launched but of course games not active yet so it just kicked me out but launched fine

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkStArZ View Post
    well mine is finished downloading and it applyed and launched but of course games not active yet so it just kicked me out but launched fine
    Awesome! Thanks for the positive report. That's really good news.

+ Reply to Thread