+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some tech help

Default Need some tech help

In about three weeks I'll have about $1,100 or so to build a new rig. I have no clue as to whats what. I haven't built my own Desktop in a very long time. I want to start from scratch even an OS as I am running Vista still on my old rig.
    I know i"ll be running the game on a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD T.V. I just got as a birthday gift.
    Any help would be great right about now cause honestly with all the new hardware out there it can be a little overwhelming to say the least.

This is my old system and if anyone is interested:
    Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. CG5270 (LGA775)
    Graphics
    SHARP HDMI (1360x768@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
    Hard Drives
    733GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N ATA Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I figured it would be easier to just start from scratch then to try and upgrade what I have now.
    Last edited by FiestyInsanity; 02-22-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FiestyInsanity View Post
    In about three weeks I'll have about $1,100 or so to build a new rig. I have no clue as to whats what. I haven't built my own Desktop in a very long time. I want to start from scratch even an OS as I am running Vista still on my old rig.
    I know i"ll be running the game on a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD T.V. I just got as a birthday gift.
    Any help would be great right about now cause honestly with all the new hardware out there it can be a little overwhelming to say the least.
    Well, first thing's first: AMD or Intel?

Honestly man like I said I am not sure on either I hear so much back and forth on the topic it is a little confusing. It really doesn't matter to me on which as long as I can stay at least close to my budget as possible. I am tired of having to play games on lower setting missing out on all the graphics cause I just didn't build the right rig.

Honestly man like I said I am not sure on either I hear so much back and forth on the topic it is a little confusing. It really doesn't matter to me on which as long as I can stay at least close to my budget as possible. I am tired of having to play games on lower setting missing out on all the graphics cause I just didn't build the right rig.
    Will you be building this machine, or buying it pre-built? If you build it yourself you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

Sorry I know these questions aren't really helping you but we need to establish certain things first, heh.

edit - Seeing your specs now, I vote you salvage what parts you can (like the hard drives, disc drives, what's your power supply because if it's high enough you can salvage that too), to offset some costs, and buy even more badass parts.
    Last edited by Matteis; 02-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.

I can have a friend build it for me once said and done he works for a company fixing machines and I used to work with him so I trust he can get the job done.
    Last edited by FiestyInsanity; 02-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.

I can have a friend build it for me once said and done he works for a company fixing machines and I used to work with him so I trust he can get the job done.
    What is your CURRENT power supply?

PMing you with a parts list.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Matteis View Post
    What is your CURRENT power supply?
    How do I check for this again? I went to device manager but don't see it listed in there?

How do I check for this again? I went to device manager but don't see it listed in there?
    You'd need to open the case and read it off the side of the PSU or if you have your purchase order laying around.

I'm only asking because if you want, you can really lower the cost of the new build by salvaging your current useful parts - if your PSU is up to snuff that's like $100.00 shaved off right there. In turn you can spend even more on the MEATY PARTS of the computer that will ensure great performance.

Buuuuut it looks like the dude above is just gonna send you a brand new laundry list of pieces - PM me if you want to continue chatting to me and my approach to this build.

Yeah its only got a 400W one inside. Like I said I will probably just have to start over with everything. The machine I have now is mostly salvaged parts from other PC's.

Yeah its only got a 400W one inside. Like I said I will probably just have to start over with everything. The machine I have now is mostly salvaged parts from other PC's.
    Fair enough. 400W is garbage.

You can however, save the hard drives and disc drives, those are still good (unless you want new state of the art blu-ray drives - in which case really only your hard drives are any good).

Check your PMs, buddy further up in the thread is mailing you a list of parts.

I just sent it man.

And dude just did send a parts list including mouse monitor and keyboard for just under $1100.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Rift Disciple

This is my old system and if anyone is interested:
    Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. CG5270 (LGA775)
    Graphics
    SHARP HDMI (1360x768@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
    Hard Drives
    733GB Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N ATA Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I figured it would be easier to just start from scratch then to try and upgrade what I have now.
    With regret, I'd have to agree on a completely new build. The secret here is to go for a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 slot and a current/equivalent graphcs card. CPU is not such a huge deal. I use a quad core 2.8 atm and have no issues in game- even raiding in Rifts with 50 others. It's not even overclocked.

As mentioned you'll have to pick AMD over Intel. Based on your budget that will be AMD. Intell is slightly better for gaming but it's also pricier. I use AMD as my budget dictated and I enjoy the game just fine. If you want to spend big on any component- save it for your graphics card. One is enough... with AMD... shoot for HD 5870 or any DX11 capable card and you'll do better than fine. I bought it 12 months ago for $500... I imagine it's a bit cheaper today.

Get Win 7 Pro- because you get XP mode. This might be more than you want to know, but XP mode will allow you to run applications and use devices that are not yet Win7 capatible. Home Premium and you are screwed. Get Pro or Ulitimate. It's worth the extra money long term, especially if you use 'antiquated' software or devices. I have an old resume builder that won't run on anything but XP... with Pro I can create a VM XP window and/or run XP mode and keep using it. If I had Home version... I'd have to kiss that app goodbye forever.

You also need to get Windows 7 64bit. You can save a few bucks getting an OEM copy (no MS support but who really needs it today). Vista is a non-starter... better to go back to XP than use Vista, but Win 7 will be much better short/long term. 64bit will allow you to utilize more than 3.1 Gigs of RAM- 4GB needs to be your immediate target.

I use a gigabyte motherboard- but there are others. Check Newegg and TigerDirect for possible deals on components. Don't buy the top tier- try to pick proven components... save top tier for graphic card... and only there.

Ram- work on 4GB first...speed second. You'll be much happier with more memory than less...even if it's super fast.

Other targets:

750W PSU
    Good air flow case
    Decent Heatsink (I splurged on a Corsair H50- self contained liquid cooling)- if you go this route, make sure your case can handle the fan!!!! before you buy one.

SSD HDD (don't sweat this one- break your budget in a heartbeat... just add it for next year's christmas... and don't hold your breath!) I couldn't afford it and still can't.
    Last edited by Thallan; 02-22-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Ah so you two know each other thats cool. Just one thing Anakha I do not need a monitor I have a 32" Sharp Aquos I just got I will be playing games on from now on.

Ah so you two know each other thats cool. Just one thing Anakha I do not need a monitor I have a 32" Sharp Aquos I just got I will be playing games on from now on.
    Ok so I got everything BUT the monitor for less than $1000.00. Still not bad if I do say so myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast