+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3rd party information selling?

Default 3rd party information selling?

So, I actually took the time to read through the EULA for the headstart client, and I have a few concerns.

Basically, I understand and am certainly in favor of giving Trion any and all information that might help them make the game better.

That includes: my system information, performance information while running the game, and other related information.

I have no problem with any of that. I also don't mind that Trion owns, controls, and can take issue with any information I give them regarding my characters (including names and builds, as well as more).

Why then am I writing this?

The EULA does not seem to include any disclaimer about not selling my personal information to 3rd party vendors for non-game related purposes. Not only that, some of the language seemed to imply that they will sell my information. Perhaps I simply missed the disclaimer? Perhaps I am being paranoid?
    Did anyone else catch that?
    Intelligence may be overrated, but it is better than the alternative.

Plane Touched

It's funny you mention that. I made a new email address, the only thing I registered to with it was Rift. I've had 2 junk mails in a month, both from "cdkeyhouse".

Kinda weird.

I put it down to tracking cookies or something from browsing gaming sites, or maybe I signed up to a site and forgot. Never know though.
    Last edited by Jestahr; 02-22-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecint View Post
    So, I actually took the time to read through the EULA for the headstart client, and I have a few concerns.

Basically, I understand and am certainly in favor of giving Trion any and all information that might help them make the game better.

That includes: my system information, performance information while running the game, and other related information.

I have no problem with any of that. I also don't mind that Trion owns, controls, and can take issue with any information I give them regarding my characters (including names and builds, as well as more).

Why then am I writing this?

The EULA does not seem to include any disclaimer about not selling my personal information to 3rd party vendors for non-game related purposes. Not only that, some of the language seemed to imply that they will sell my information. Perhaps I simply missed the disclaimer? Perhaps I am being paranoid?
    Did anyone else catch that?

Nice catch, hopefully this is addressed soon.
    Last edited by Astrick; 02-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    CPU i7 970 @ 4.4GHz - Motherboard Rampage 3 Extreme - Memory 16GB Sector 7
    GPU MSI 6970s (crossfire/OC 950/1450) - SSDOCZ RevoDriveX2 PCI-Express - Win7 Ultimate 64x

Default Disturbing

The news of spam mails coming to a brand new and single-purposed email account is somewhat distressing.

I'd like to believe that is merely a coincidence, but it is hard to be certain. On the plus side, I don't think I've gotten any more spam than usual in my email account attached to RiftTrion

Perhaps I should have put this up in the general discussion to garner a larger audience and pool of information.
    Last edited by ecint; 02-23-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: omission

Look at who Trion's investors are on their "about" web page. Of course they'll be selling metrics on our usage and behavior, to them especially.

Soulwalker

Honestly, 2 spam messages (really 1 since its from the same listserve/spammer) in a month is amazingly low if you are hitting gaming websites.

I always track my addys for changes in spam traffic and haven't noticed any new spam, and not the cdkeyhouse one that was listed.

Only new traffic I've gotten on that address is Trion/Rift/Guildhosting to which I specifically subscribed.

I will note that my malwarebytes and firefox have tagged several sites as trying to dink around.

Run a scan and clean cookies? *shrug.

As to the selling of information, that's why I keep trash email accounts to direct questionable sign-ups to, and then move over to a solid account when I see no new garbage.

Shadowlander

Default tracking sites that sell e-mail

If you use gmail, you can use an e-mail such as "name+siteid@gmail.com" when your normal mail is "name@gmail.com". This lets you track where a given e-mail was sent to. For rift, I have "name+rift@gmail.com" so I can track if any spam comes in from that e-mail address. Yes, it does make it so that I have to login with that e-mail to the game, but IMHO, it is better to know what it is being used for.

Soulwalker

Thanks for that Trynn, I wasnt aware of the ability to do that with gmail.

Quote Originally Posted by trynn View Post
    If you use gmail, you can use an e-mail such as "name+siteid@gmail.com" when your normal mail is "name@gmail.com". This lets you track where a given e-mail was sent to. For rift, I have "name+rift@gmail.com" so I can track if any spam comes in from that e-mail address. Yes, it does make it so that I have to login with that e-mail to the game, but IMHO, it is better to know what it is being used for.

Default Good info, but not the point?

There has been some good info above, and that's great.

I agree that two spam emails (in a month) is not a real concern.

I have no problem with Trion selling statistical information about their users and so forth to some of their supporters, or even just people who want the information. A mag or paper studying internet gaming use, for example, would be reasonable.

However, the instant Trion, or anyone, sells my personal contact information to somebody without my express consent (NOT merely implied), then I have a problem. My personal and contact information is of no real use for any non-annoying purpose. Salespeople, spammers, and the like have lots of uses for my contact info. Studies, trend analysis, and similar don't need to know who I am and how to contact me, they can do their work without all that (just the facts ma'am, no names and email).
    So, what info will Trion be selling?
    Stats and data? Fine and dandy. In fact, hooray!
    Names, addresses, and emails? Houston, we have a problem.

I'm looking forward to this game, I've enjoyed playing in beta. But this issue would cast a pall over the whole game for me, because, to me, selling personal information without express consent is, to me, unethical. Nothing I read in the EULA gave me direct info that this would not happen; the usual disclaimer most sites and services have about not selling your information is, alarmingly, conspicuously absent.

Unless I missed it? Bueller?

+ Reply to Thread