+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help. Games are being too CPU Intensive.

Rift Disciple

Default Need Help. Games are being too CPU Intensive.

So i was reading a POD cast that explained some things.

Games are slowed generally by 2 things GPU or CPU overhaul.

He mentioned that if you went window mode in a game and decreased the window size and still had low frame rates then the issue was with the CPU.

So i tried that in TF2 and my frame rate was still the same (low) so i have been able to narrow it down to the CPU which is an i3. I'm not sure how to fix this issue since (and i think this is right) the GPU is located on the CPU. I have disabled all the unnecessary Windows Services when i got the laptop to lower the svhost file and increased my page file to the correct amount. So i'm not sure what the deal is =/

My GPU and CPU specs are the following.

Graphics Card: (taken from dxdiag)

Name: Intel HD Graphics
    Manu: Intel
    Chip Type: Inter(R) HD graphics (core i3)
    DAC Type: Internal
    Total Memory: 1755 MB
    Display Mode: 1366 X 768 (32 bit) (60hz)

CPU: Taken from HWINFO32

Processor Name: Intel Core i3-370M
    Original Processor Frequency: 2400.0 MHz
    CPU LFM (Minimum): 933.3 MHz = 7.00 x 133.3 MHz
    CPU HFM (Maximum) 2400.0 MHz = 18.00 x 133.3 MHz
    CPU Turbo: 2400.0 MHz = 18.00 x 133.3 MHz [Locked]
    CPU Current: 2390.9 MHz = 18.00 x 132.8 MHz
    Uncore Current:1726.8 MHz = 13.00 x 132.8 MHz
    L1 Cache:Instruction: 2 x 32 KBytes, Data: 2 x 32 KBytes
    L2 Cache:Integrated: 2 x 256 KBytes
    L3 Cache:3 MBytes

My settings in TF2 where set to bare A** minimum with a config to decrease it even further and my frame rates is an average 25-45 and can drop instantly to 15 and stay their for a while.

No extra programs running in the background except whats needed (nothing like torrents, Virus scannings going on...etc)

And and i can't find a BIOS update that will let me manual config the CPU =(

All help is appreciated!
    Last edited by xineo; 02-22-2011 at 07:53 PM.

It is partially your processor but mainly your onboard graphics. There is no way you would get anything but low frames with onboard graphics. Sorry to tell you.
    Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 4.1ghz
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Core @ 850mhz / Ram 1800mhz
    Corsair Dominator 6144 MB DDR3 Triple Channel

Quote Originally Posted by xineo View Post
    So i was reading a POD cast that explained some things.

Games are slowed generally by 2 things GPU or CPU overhaul.

He mentioned that if you went window mode in a game and decreased the window size and still had low frame rates then the issue was with the CPU.

So i tried that in TF2 and my frame rate was still the same (low) so i have been able to narrow it down to the CPU which is an i3. I'm not sure how to fix this issue since (and i think this is right) the GPU is located on the CPU. I have disabled all the unnecessary Windows Services when i got the laptop to lower the svhost file and increased my page file to the correct amount. So i'm not sure what the deal is =/

My GPU and CPU specs are the following.

Graphics Card: (taken from dxdiag)

Name: Intel HD Graphics
    Manu: Intel
    Chip Type: Inter(R) HD graphics (core i3)
    DAC Type: Internal
    Total Memory: 1755 MB
    Display Mode: 1366 X 768 (32 bit) (60hz)

CPU: Taken from HWINFO32

Processor Name: Intel Core i3-370M
    Original Processor Frequency: 2400.0 MHz
    CPU LFM (Minimum): 933.3 MHz = 7.00 x 133.3 MHz
    CPU HFM (Maximum) 2400.0 MHz = 18.00 x 133.3 MHz
    CPU Turbo: 2400.0 MHz = 18.00 x 133.3 MHz [Locked]
    CPU Current: 2390.9 MHz = 18.00 x 132.8 MHz
    Uncore Current:1726.8 MHz = 13.00 x 132.8 MHz
    L1 Cache:Instruction: 2 x 32 KBytes, Data: 2 x 32 KBytes
    L2 Cache:Integrated: 2 x 256 KBytes
    L3 Cache:3 MBytes

My settings in TF2 where set to bare A** minimum with a config to decrease it even further and my frame rates is an average 25-45 and can drop instantly to 15 and stay their for a while.

All help is appreciated!
    No your graphics are not included on the CPU, but integrated instead on the motherboard chipset. unfortunately there is nothing you can do except get a new computer, as your laptop is pretty much non upgradable.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jinzing View Post
    It is partially your processor but mainly your onboard graphics. There is no way you would get anything but low frames with onboard graphics. Sorry to tell you.
    I know that but i've gotten far better frames with much worse computers. So it seems something isn't correct..

Its definitely your video card. Im surprised rift was able to run at all tbh. Its correct also the GPU is located on the motherboard and is separate from the CPU. If you can find out what motherboard or what the notebook brand and model is you'll be able to find out what intel gpu it uses.

Minimum system requirements list the Intel GMA X4500 or better. Minimum means exactly that, the game will open and run with everything turned down at a crappy framerate. Either way none of the onboard gpu are designed as gaming cards and for most games just scrape through minimum requirements at best, also being a notebook your options are close to none to upgrading.

I say close because I found when i owned a macbook pro (gah) i looked into upgrading of the video cards and was able to find out that SOME notebooks allow an upgrade of sorts. This is normally only an optional video card that was available for that exact or very similar notebook, but it could be something you look into as you might get lucky and be able to pick one up on ebay cheap enough. If you go down this path i recommend to get someone knowledgeable with pcs and or notebooks if this isnt yourself, and if you have a warranty check to see if it will void it (most likely so). Failing that there are no external video cards or anything else available as an option bar replacing the whole notebook.

With your cpu usage, your probably right that it is overloaded. Its not hard to see with an under-performing GPU the load is passed over to your CPU. While the i3 isnt the best cpu available its far from a bottleneck for that gpu. About the only thing i could think of is that it could be overheating and underclocks itself as a failsafe. If this is the case, make sure the base has airflow underneath (notebook coolers can really help there). If your able to, check to make sure your cpu fan and heatsink are clear of dust, either way give it a clean. If it is still overheating it could be the thermal paste between your heatsink and cpu, which if your not familiar with pc's and or notebooks again get someone else to check that. Notebooks are notorious for not being able to displace heat so its possible this could be an issue.

If all these things are then fixed it will always come back to your video card and that will be the absolute limit for your framerate in game. If your planning on spending some time gaming it might be worth looking into a budget desktop. Its surprising how cheap you can build a decent performing desktop which if well thought out will also give you the ability to upgrade pieces as time goes on and hopefully lasting a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by xineo View Post
    I know that but i've gotten far better frames with much worse computers. So it seems something isn't correct..
    Sorry Xineo but the other posters are correct for gaming there is no worse computer then your laptop.

Intel HD, was never designed for gaming. never. Granted you can play, but a terrible FPS and quality. No matter how you justify a reason.

So a good laptop with Amd/Nvidia will give you gaming potential.
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Your machine is severely underpowered. It's really weak even by weak standards.

+ Reply to Thread