+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How is this build-BUDGET

Telaran

Default How is this build-BUDGET

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/gamebk.png/

just built this, have a HD RADEON 5870 already that ill use for a bit until i get more hours at work (no one buys pools in feb in canada).

Other than that how does it look, upgrades, trying to keep a decent budget but a comp i can upgrade in the coming years. Will be coming from a 4 year old HP media centre so anything will be an upgrade

I wouldn't go cheap on your power supply but thats just me. You will be regretting it later. I would at least get 800 watts.
    Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 4.1ghz
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Core @ 850mhz / Ram 1800mhz
    Corsair Dominator 6144 MB DDR3 Triple Channel

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by jinzing View Post
    I wouldn't go cheap on your power supply but thats just me. You will be regretting it later. I would at least get 800 watts.
    Ok the PSU i already have, ill go for an 800W,any other recommendations? With a build like this how will Rift play?

Really hard to tell but I would guess medium to high settings.
    Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 4.1ghz
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Core @ 850mhz / Ram 1800mhz
    Corsair Dominator 6144 MB DDR3 Triple Channel

Telaran

Thats all im aiming for with a decent FPS, right now im on low-med with 20fps

Quote Originally Posted by kydon1328 View Post
    Ok the PSU i already have, ill go for an 800W,any other recommendations? With a build like this how will Rift play?
    You may need an optical drive to install Windows, or Linux for that matter (well the latter can be installed from a flash drive but meh). ASUS makes a decent inexpensive DVD burner, and I believe Samsung does too.
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Telaran

Thanks, silly for me to overlook that, so this build is decent? Nothing fancy but will get the job done?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    You may need an optical drive to install Windows, or Linux for that matter (well the latter can be installed from a flash drive but meh). ASUS makes a decent inexpensive DVD burner, and I believe Samsung does too.
    Seems like you know your stuff from other posts. Anything you can tell me regarding mobos, very noobish with the,and how Iwill know if my GPU is compatible, and will a new nVidia be compatible with it?

Seems like you know your stuff from other posts. Anything you can tell me regarding mobos, very noobish with the,and how Iwill know if my GPU is compatible, and will a new nVidia be compatible with it?
    Yes and yes, however, you are not going to be able to SLI with that MOBO (it's an AMD mobo), or Crossfire either due to the lack of PCIe 2.0 slots (it only has one). I would up the PSU a bit though, not to 800, not for a single card config, maybe 650 - 700 watts (I.E. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005 ). This will give you a little leadway when the capacitors start to age (long explaination but take my word for it they will, can, and do wear out).
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-22-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    Yes and yes, however, you are not going to be able to SLI with that MOBO, or Crossfire either due to the lack of PCIe 2.0 slots (it only has one).

Ok, other than that looks ok? I appreciate your help and hope to get this friday

Ok, other than that looks ok? I appreciate your help and hope to get this friday
    I cannot tell what the timings are on your memory kit, but that should be fine (rule of thumb on timing is the lower the better). Yeah it looks fine.

Shadowlander

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/gamebk.png/

just built this, have a HD RADEON 5870 already that ill use for a bit until i get more hours at work (no one buys pools in feb in canada).

Other than that how does it look, upgrades, trying to keep a decent budget but a comp i can upgrade in the coming years. Will be coming from a 4 year old HP media centre so anything will be an upgrade
    That 5870 is a great card. No need to upgrade anytime soon, unless it's to add a 2nd 5870.

Telaran

Umm, you do not need a 800w power supply. Hell I bet you could run with a 500w. The major thing is making sure there are enough amps on the line. I'd shoot for around 30-40 amps on the 12v rail.

Quote Originally Posted by tropez View Post
    That 5870 is a great card. No need to upgrade anytime soon, unless it's to add a 2nd 5870.
    Yup, agreed. It's slightly faster than my card (a Radeon 6870) and I'm running the game in the Ultra setting at 1920x1200. I don't intend to upgrade my graphics card until late 2011 at the earliest (when the 28nm fab process is up and running) and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts into 2012.

+ Reply to Thread