+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a computer. For Rift and behond

Soulwalker

Default Building a computer. For Rift and behond

Posted this in offtopic but got only 1 reply saying i should try the tech forum so here goes.

I hate to do this.. but im at a loss :P

Im building a new computer as my current rig is starting to show its age somewhat and i just like to spend large amounts of money. Anyway, i went by my local computer store and had the guy throw together a rig that he claimed would run games on max graphics for the next couple of years (2 or 3 i dunno

Anyway, I`ll show you what he came up with and i would love people who have knowledge of the current hardware market to input their views. I have a few 100 more to spend on this so any upgrade, or thing i forgot to list, personal preferences to brands.. Just tell me what you think i can do to improve on this to enjoy all the coming games in top graphics

Creative SB Audigy SE (oem) - . Boxes arent top notch so no need to spend big on this
    ! NEC AD-7240S WIT DVDrw 24x SATA - pff whatever
    ! Intel Core i7 860 s1156 -one of my bigger doubts. not sure how much id get from a more expensive one

Asus P7P55D DELUXE s1156 - really no clue on MBs, so i guess this will do?
    MS Windows 7 Home 64-bit oem - ye windows
    Cooler Master GX 750W - need power for my vid card i guess
    WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 64mb SATA -2 drives one for windows other for storage
    WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB S3 - not sure on the sata business. Not sure on performance increase
    CM Centurion 5 II ATX Black - just the box, i dont care :P
    Corsair XMS3 D3 1600 8G K CL9 - seems enough for now, should i go higher/faster?

Asus EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5 - Vid card, my other big question mark. Theres more expensive ones around, i know this doesnt mean its better automatically, but i really want to be able to play new games for the next couple years. So any ideas? Is asus ok? etc.

Network card i`ll get aswel dunno what. But ye thats it. Any ideas on this? Will it do? Thank you for any useful input you care to give

If you dont mind me asking but wat is your budget?
    Last edited by Draggon; 02-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Darqion View Post
    Posted this in offtopic but got only 1 reply saying i should try the tech forum so here goes.

I hate to do this.. but im at a loss :P

Im building a new computer as my current rig is starting to show its age somewhat and i just like to spend large amounts of money. Anyway, i went by my local computer store and had the guy throw together a rig that he claimed would run games on max graphics for the next couple of years (2 or 3 i dunno

Anyway, I`ll show you what he came up with and i would love people who have knowledge of the current hardware market to input their views. I have a few 100 more to spend on this so any upgrade, or thing i forgot to list, personal preferences to brands.. Just tell me what you think i can do to improve on this to enjoy all the coming games in top graphics

Creative SB Audigy SE (oem) - . Boxes arent top notch so no need to spend big on this
    ! NEC AD-7240S WIT DVDrw 24x SATA - pff whatever
    ! Intel Core i7 860 s1156 -one of my bigger doubts. not sure how much id get from a more expensive one

Asus P7P55D DELUXE s1156 - really no clue on MBs, so i guess this will do?
    MS Windows 7 Home 64-bit oem - ye windows
    Cooler Master GX 750W - need power for my vid card i guess
    WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 64mb SATA -2 drives one for windows other for storage
    WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB S3 - not sure on the sata business. Not sure on performance increase
    CM Centurion 5 II ATX Black - just the box, i dont care :P
    Corsair XMS3 D3 1600 8G K CL9 - seems enough for now, should i go higher/faster?

Asus EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5 - Vid card, my other big question mark. Theres more expensive ones around, i know this doesnt mean its better automatically, but i really want to be able to play new games for the next couple years. So any ideas? Is asus ok? etc.

Network card i`ll get aswel dunno what. But ye thats it. Any ideas on this? Will it do? Thank you for any useful input you care to give
    I've spent the last 3 days looking into just video cards. Right now, in my opinion, the best performance for your dollars would be a 5870. I just purchased 2 brand new 5870's for $180 each. The 6970's cost about $360 each per amazon.com and only give you slightly better real world performance vs the 5870.

Hell, for the cost of one 6970 you could have two 5870's running crossfire (CF) which would kick the nuts off that single 6970.

1 x 5870 ($180) vs 1 x 6970 ($360): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=294
    2 x 5870 ($360) vs 1 x 6970 ($360): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=300

Video Card Deals (these change often, this is where I got my 5870's for $180 each): http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_2_5

Both cards have the latest technology and would be able to run stuff for years. Hell, most games still come out using Direct X 9.0c, as Rift does. It will be quite some time before having a DX11 card is mandatory, game developers aren't dumb, they want the want the majority of people to be able to play their games without forcing them to buy new hardware.
    Last edited by tropez; 02-22-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the video card reply, i`ll look into that

My budget, which would be in euros is around 2000 and the machine the guy had set up would cost me around... 1300 i guess?? prices around here arent the cheapest but it`ll have to do.

So ye some more info would be nice :P more reactions on vid cards or ideas on the processor or memory.. anything helps

Well it depends if you are planning to over clock or not.
    Light over clocks and adjusting a thing or two in the bios are not that difficult if you sit down and read a few guides.

Motherboard: If you want to buy a computer now get a 1155 socket board ((if you wait 1 month you can get one that is not defect currently 4 sata ports are broke))
    You can make a deal with the shop that you return it once the new mobo's are out.
    If you buy a 1155 now put your sata devices in 0 and 1 to avoid defects.

Motherboards:

As I said above pick a 1155 socket mother board since the new gen processors are made for it.
    For marks I would go with either Asus or gigabyte at this point , usually their boards are good quality wise.
    The Giga/Asusp867 are decent boards a bit expensive for what they do and in general it is more for if you want SLI/overclock and like to toy around with the bios.
    The Maximus is just an overclock board with all bells and whistles.

Note: Gigabyte Mobo has it's memory close to the processors unit if you use a large cool block on your CPU it will be a pain to get your memory in.

- Asus P8P67 Deluxe S1155 249
    -Maximus IV Extreme S1155 319,00
    -Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 S1155 249,95

CPU:

This processors is simply the best at this point, some newer ones will come out but at this point it's a beast.
    Easy to overclock and fast.
    I would recommend not to use the stock cooler it is garbage if you can spare the money buy a coolblock either put it on yourself or ask the shop owner to put your rig together.

Intel Core i7 2600K (3,4GHz) € 295,00

Memory:

Two things about this.
    Most games do not use that much memory so in general you are fine with 2x4096 and you can add some more when the prices go down.
    Second is your bios won't run your memory at 1600 you need to adjust this with XMP profile or manual.
    You also need to put up your voltage to 1.65 since that is on what Corsair memory runs.
    As last disable the enhance memory option in your bios it tends to create a mess with XMP.

Corsair 3x4096MB DDR3 1600

PSU:

Corsair CMPSU-850AXEU 850Watt PSU GOLD € 159,95

850 is fine even for SLI , unless you plan to use tripple SLI you won't be needing more.
    If you considering this in the future pick.
    Corsair CMPSU-1000HXEU 1000Watt PSU € 204,9

Few things why I would go for a Corsair PSU.

- It has a silent fan which will automatically go on /off when the system uses high/low power.

- Corsair PSU's are known to be good , bad PSU's wreck your system .

Hard disk:

Well my advice is get a SSD and a normal.
    Install windows on that along with the games keep the junk on the other one.

Graphic card:

IF you run on a resolution higher than 1600x1050 1600x1200 I would recommend SLI if you have the money for it.
    My self I went for EVGA 570GTX since well it is a beast and the card is silent, I also like the warranty EVGA provides.
    It is rather expensive but well most cards are.

GTX570 1280MB € 359,00

Coolblocks:

Well tbh at this point I do not need a coolblock on my GPU but if you want to put one on it speak to the shop owner.
    Less heat and less noise is always better for your computer.

CPU Coolblock is something I would recommend unless you want to bother with water cooling.
    The main problem with this is that it takes time to get the damn thing on your CPU and you need to be careful else you break your system
    Than again if the shop can do it for you great.

Using my self a Thermalright Silver Arrow Retail and well it was a ***** to put on and it takes a lot of space.
    You just need a big case for this thing but well there are smaller good cool blocks out there.

Last note put this Arctic Cooling MX-3 High thermal paste on your CPU ((or ask the shop owner to do it)).

Case:

Well get a big tower , for one you need space in your computer.
    Another thing is heat kills your components so in general a good designed gaming case can push the heat down a lot.

Down side is a good gaming case goes for 140 euro+.
    Using the Antec 1200 myself and though I like the case it requires some time to install everything and rewire.

Quote Originally Posted by Calindria View Post
    Well it depends if you are planning to over clock or not.
    Light over clocks and adjusting a thing or two in the bios are not that difficult if you sit down and read a few guides.

Motherboard: If you want to buy a computer now get a 1155 socket board ((if you wait 1 month you can get one that is not defect currently 4 sata ports are broke))
    You can make a deal with the shop that you return it once the new mobo's are out.
    If you buy a 1155 now put your sata devices in 0 and 1 to avoid defects.

Motherboards:

As I said above pick a 1155 socket mother board since the new gen processors are made for it.
    For marks I would go with either Asus or gigabyte at this point , usually their boards are good quality wise.
    The Giga/Asusp867 are decent boards a bit expensive for what they do and in general it is more for if you want SLI/overclock and like to toy around with the bios.
    The Maximus is just an overclock board with all bells and whistles.

Note: Gigabyte Mobo has it's memory close to the processors unit if you use a large cool block on your CPU it will be a pain to get your memory in.

- Asus P8P67 Deluxe S1155 249
    -Maximus IV Extreme S1155 319,00
    -Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 S1155 249,95

CPU:

This processors is simply the best at this point, some newer ones will come out but at this point it's a beast.
    Easy to overclock and fast.
    I would recommend not to use the stock cooler it is garbage if you can spare the money buy a coolblock either put it on yourself or ask the shop owner to put your rig together.

Intel Core i7 2600K (3,4GHz) € 295,00

Memory:

Two things about this.
    Most games do not use that much memory so in general you are fine with 2x4096 and you can add some more when the prices go down.
    Second is your bios won't run your memory at 1600 you need to adjust this with XMP profile or manual.
    You also need to put up your voltage to 1.65 since that is on what Corsair memory runs.
    As last disable the enhance memory option in your bios it tends to create a mess with XMP.

Corsair 3x4096MB DDR3 1600

PSU:

Corsair CMPSU-850AXEU 850Watt PSU GOLD € 159,95

850 is fine even for SLI , unless you plan to use tripple SLI you won't be needing more.
    If you considering this in the future pick.
    Corsair CMPSU-1000HXEU 1000Watt PSU € 204,9

Few things why I would go for a Corsair PSU.

- It has a silent fan which will automatically go on /off when the system uses high/low power.

- Corsair PSU's are known to be good , bad PSU's wreck your system .

Hard disk:

Well my advice is get a SSD and a normal.
    Install windows on that along with the games keep the junk on the other one.

Graphic card:

IF you run on a resolution higher than 1600x1050 1600x1200 I would recommend SLI if you have the money for it.
    My self I went for EVGA 570GTX since well it is a beast and the card is silent, I also like the warranty EVGA provides.
    It is rather expensive but well most cards are.

GTX570 1280MB € 359,00

Coolblocks:

Well tbh at this point I do not need a coolblock on my GPU but if you want to put one on it speak to the shop owner.
    Less heat and less noise is always better for your computer.

CPU Coolblock is something I would recommend unless you want to bother with water cooling.
    The main problem with this is that it takes time to get the damn thing on your CPU and you need to be careful else you break your system
    Than again if the shop can do it for you great.

Using my self a Thermalright Silver Arrow Retail and well it was a ***** to put on and it takes a lot of space.
    You just need a big case for this thing but well there are smaller good cool blocks out there.

Last note put this Arctic Cooling MX-3 High thermal paste on your CPU ((or ask the shop owner to do it)).

Case:

Well get a big tower , for one you need space in your computer.
    Another thing is heat kills your components so in general a good designed gaming case can push the heat down a lot.

Down side is a good gaming case goes for 140 euro+.
    Using the Antec 1200 myself and though I like the case it requires some time to install everything and rewire.
    Let me make several minor tweeks to your post:

2600k Chips are being replaced soon by intel with the newer core <westhouse> or something like that. Please pardon me as Im injuired and on a lot of pain meds so bear with me.
    These chips can be OC'd to 5+ghz on air cooling and stay well within the default operating temps. No need for water cooling or intense direct cpu cooling unless you go passed that.

GPUs are changing at an exponential rate. NVidia is working on Project Denver which will bring back ARM's RISC chip to high end gaming systems. They will also affect how the fermi chips run on these systems.

PSU(Power Supply Unit) are more than just wattage. The newer cards and devices require more AMPs not just Watts. If you'r 12v rail isn't support the minimal amps required then it doesnt matter if you have a 1200watt amp your cards will never perform the way they should. They will just auto-choke.

SSD's are good, but still have problems. SATA6 can be a ball of trouble if you don't really familiarize yourself with the setup and how well the board will like that speeds.

DDR3 If you do OC it's important to get a chip with slower CAS and a higher bus speed. This way you can OC and not have to go crazy with DDR3 .v and heat. CAS 8-9 timing is just fine.

ATX cases. SPace is important but so is your wiring. Make sure you keep it well away from the board and bundled as much as possible through the wire bundling slots built into the case tray. REmember just because you have a big case doesnt mean you're cooling it. CAses can have dead spots where air simply swirls around and doesnt move. A negative pressure case, more fans pushing air out than sucking it in is the best way to go. Make sure your case has those air filter built into the fan slots. Negative presure cases are a pain to keep clean.

Again sorry for the typos, I'm to loopy to back and fix them.
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

Soulwalker

edit: Oh i just noticed Sinndaria's post.. Alot of things im not familiar with... So the 2600k being replaced... should i wait? How long and how much would the improvement be? I dont plan on OCing much as i have 0 experience with it anyway. I realise GPUs change by the minute, but i cant just keep waiting. So will this new Nvidia project drasticly improve gaming cards? or would we talk about a.. somewhat low % gain? I dont feel like waiting for a card to see a new one is around the corner again.

Im dont know SSD's at all, so if you say they have problems i might just stay away from them for now. I could always upgrade if the problems get resolved Sooo yeah I guess i`ll just keep being unsure on what to do but ...

Anyway back to my original post which was:

Wow Awesome reply thank you

Wondering... about this SSD. how much would performance increase be and how big should i get it? It's quite expensive

And the videocard... i cant seem to find it, but thats probably just me. But wouldnt getting 2 gigs a good idea or is that wasted? And will it still be wasted in 2 years?

This site also doesnt have a 12 gig kit but i can work that out im sure.

Anyway this is what i got atm, does this look ok or did i miss something?

Systeemassemblage + 3 jaar Garantie
    Creative SB Audigy SE (oem)
    Nexus silent HDD inbouwbracket
    Corsair CMPSU-850AXEU
    Lite-On iHAS324 SATA Black
    Corsair XMS3 D3 1600M 4G K CL9
    MS Windows 7 Home 64-bit NL oem
    Cooler Master CM 690 II Advan
    WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 64mb SATA
    Corsair Air A50 cooler
    Corsair Dom D3 1600 12GB K CL9
    Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB (S3)
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe s1155
    Intel Core i7 2600K s1155
    Club3D GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB

So ye like i said the vid card is that 1.2 gig enough ?(if i picked the right one.

Getting a cooler for the processor and might get one for HD , not sure if i need it. The case is still not decided but thats not my biggest concern atm :P So is this a monster pc that will keep me warm for a while? Or are there more things to upgrade
    Last edited by Darqion; 02-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.

450 watts won't cut it for the psu

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORlooksbad View Post
    450 watts won't cut it for the psu
    oops forgot to change that :P thanks

Just ignore anything to do with OC then.

Read the boxes or go to the manufacturers site and see what the 12volt amps are for each card. You'll need to push those same amps to each card for SLI.

Each PSU will show you how many 12v rails @ what AMPs they are. Dont' think that the total amps per PSU is the end all be all.. check per 12v rail @ amp = win!

Dont scare away from SSD. Some people love the .00001 seek and write times.. I'm using 500g 10k drives in raid 0 and I like the burst data response. HD Tach will give you an idea of what you can expect.

The best advice, is read forums on building systems. Don't listen to people who spend the MOST listen to those who spend the wisest Not cheap but wise. Those are the people who dig around and know when something good is worth buying.
    Bassik Logik gives birth to Bassik ReSUN and everyone grooves on silicon...

Soulwalker

Well im having the guys at the shop build the system, so i hope they know what they are doing :P I`ll do some more research either way.

Still not sure about all that new cpu and gpu stuff and if waiting is really a smart thing and big SSD drives seem to cost a fortune :P well for what you get at least, as i dont know the speed difference.

Was planning on getting the system on order this friday but im afraid i wont have all the info i need before then. Guess i`ll have to wait for just a while longer

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndaria View Post
    2600k Chips are being replaced soon by intel with the newer core <westhouse> or something like that. Please pardon me as Im injuired and on a lot of pain meds so bear with me.
    These chips can be OC'd to 5+ghz on air cooling and stay well within the default operating temps. No need for water cooling or intense direct cpu cooling unless you go passed that.
    2600k has been OC'd to 5.8ghz on air. WestMERE is an entirely separate entity, closer to the Xeon (server / data center) family.

I'm not entirely sure what your going on about - 2600k is brand new they aren't being "replaced" there are just other families starting to "catch up".

Also, @OP, you don't need a sound card. Motherboards integrated audio are very high quality these days and a sound card is just redundant.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Ah gotcha on the sound card.

Still wondering on the GPU. the 570 seems to be 1.2g and ive seen 2g cards.. Would there be any noticeable performance differences or am i paying for gigs im not using then?

I guess im all set on the CPU atleast, and the mb is kinda set if i wanna use it as well. I might go for 2 4g mem blocks and get another or just go with 3 4s.. not sure yet but wont matter much.

Atleast now im getting somewhere. Still not sure on the SSD either, as the prices do scare me a little.. and im not sure how much space windows 7 will take up

Soulwalker

For your last 3 questions:

Video: I'm running an NVDIA 470 and I have the game CRANKED with no issues. Keeping in mind that I'm running a 60hz HDVI screen at max game resolution. There's no point to paying for more FPS then your monitor can deliver, and your brain can receive.

Memory: I'm running 2x 4gb DDR3 1600. If you add more, it has to EXACTLY match if you want performance. As in, when I upgrade more later, i would have to buy new sticks. Mix and match doesn't work with memory, even though your mb supports it. And your busses (bussi? Buss? whatever) have to balance for best performance as well. So a third stick floating on its own buss is not goingn to help you performance wise.

HDD: On a clean rig built for Rift, I have installed 64-bit windows7, 32-bit firefox, Adobe Reader, Ventrillo, Rift (Full Live) and 2 junk games to occupy me until launch. Total Used Space as I post is 74.1 GB.

Hope this helps.

Shield of Telara

Darqoin,

First thing you need to do is stop going to that PC guy. Second thing you need to do is ignore everything everyone has said and read what I write. I will configure you s PC for the same $1300 budget that will run circles around the PC you posted.

YOu will have to wait for the new motherboards to come out, but I promise you it is worth the wait.

Since it doesn't seem like you want to build your own PC, I recommend going to AVADirect and configuring a PC.

Follow this link:

http://www.avadirect.com/custom-pc-c...asp?PRID=19541

Select the following options for a total of $1227:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 II Black/Silver Mid-Tower Computer Case w/ Window, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Aluminum/Plastic
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX TX Series Power Supply, 750W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Multi-GPU Ready
    GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3, LGA1155, Intel® P67, DDR3-2133 16GB /4, PCIe x16 CF /2, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, USB 3.0 /2, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
    INTEL Core™ i5-2500K Quad-Core 3.3GHz, HD Graphics 3000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, 32nm, 95W, EM64T EIST TB VT-x XD, Retail
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, Socket 1366/1156/775/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum, Retail
    KINGSTON 4GB (2 x 2GB) HyperX Blu PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-27) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
    EVGA GeForce® GTX 570 Superclocked (TR) 797MHz, 1280MB GDDR5 3900MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI+mini-HDMI, Retail
    SAMSUNG 1TB SpinPoint F3, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 32MB Cache, Retail
    RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
    SONY AD-7261S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Lightscribe, SATA, OEM
    MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition, OEM
    WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

That PC will chew Rift up and spit it out. It will easily last you for at least 2 years as is, at which point you OC that CPU to 4GHz, and replace the 570 GPU with whatever the newest $300 GPU is at the time and the PC will last you an additional 2-3 years.

If you have specific questions feel free to message me. I hate seeing folks waste their money on terrible advice and idiotic "PC store guys".
    Last edited by Riler; 02-23-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast