+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom pc help!

Soulwalker

Default Custom pc help!

Okay, so i have a laptop right now and it's pretty much crap for RIFT. I have to play on minimum, and it still is not that smooth. I am wanting to get a new pc for Rift to be able to play comfortably on high-ultra settings. What are anybody's thoughts? P.S.- This might be out of the question, but I'd like not to go over $800. Thanks

Telaran

If you have any knowledge, or even skype on a separate computer so someone can talk you through it, it's relatively simple to build a computer on your own for a fraction of what a dealer would charge you. For starters go to Newegg.com, then look at the minimum requirements for this game. Make sure you talk to someone if you have questions (whether the mobo and video card will fit in the case, how big of a power supply you need for your card, etc) and you can easily buy the basic essentials for 800 no sweat. In some cases you'll actually want to buy a better part because you'll have a bit to spare. Better parts usually consist of processor and video cards. Everything else for the most part is fairly standard now aside from SSD drives which will be out of your price range.

Soulwalker

Thanks, I've been doing some looking around before this, and I've looked on Newegg, how much do you think a pc that could run RIFT at high settings would cost?

I messaged you dude.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Alot of that depends on the budget. You can do some fairly decent builds with 800 bucks, you just have to make some decisions such as AMD/ATI or Intel/NVidia. AMD is more bang for the buck, though the new Sandy Bridge processors are very comparative pricewise, and if you know how to overclock, they've got ALOT better speed:money ratio.
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!
    ==============================
    CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 980x @ 4.2 Ghz on Asus Rampage III Formula
    RAM: 12Gb 1333 MhZ DDR3, 128Gb SSD (Gaming Drive), Graphics: 2x GTX470 1Gb

Soulwalker

O sorry, didn't see it. I would be willing to go up to $1000, but that's about it.

I'm not typing it all again, but given your budget, to save $200 I'd use the build I recommended in This Thread (post #3), but make the following changes to an AMD based build.

Asus 870 Motherboard, $110: USB 3 and SATA3 will allow you to use new devices. 2 x16 slots will still allow SLI.

Phenom II 965, $160: This guy will run any game you throw at it, no problem.

Patriot Sector 5 4GB, $35: Just 4 gigs of RAM in this guy, plenty sufficient for gaming.

That would take use to $782. Go ahead, go try to build that on ibuypower or something for that price. What an amazing machine for so cheap!

Telaran

My current build minus monitor cost around 550 a year ago.
    Buying a mobo/processor combo saves money (usually around 250), a good video card is 150 give or take, 8 gigs of ram around 80 bucks, 700w power supply 50 biucks, hard drive 50 bucks. Standard usb mouse + keyboard for 5 bucks each, case for 50. That's around 650 bills for something I'd scrap together for myself. Just to get a real glimpse I'll find some:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.596114 - Hexi-Core (260)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145315 - 8 Gigs (90) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182173 - 700w (60)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136113 - 250 gig HD (43)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419 - 1 Gig Vid (180)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419 - Case (60)

Some stuff is basic, some you won't have to upgrade for a long while. You can also upgrade and downgrade those as you desire since these specs are very much over kill . But yea that's a decent rig minus monitor for just under 700. It's really up to what you need though, if you don't need ultra settings you can probably save a few hundred bucks, but this is easily a system you can throw parts in later if you want to continue upgrading at a later time. You can also go the way of buying intel, but they are around double the price of AMD and the difference is almost unnoticeable anymore.

Soulwalker

Put a bit of extra cash into the video card. A GTX 460 would run the game in most situations but you might have to reduce anti-aliasing or cut the graphics down in other places in some situations.
    The radeon 6970 is very competitive with the GTX 580, for under 400$. The GTX 570 is pretty close to, for around 350.
    460s in SLI would run very well as well, but ideally SLI builds have the exact same card X2, and if you wait a couple months for the second card, you run the risk of not being able to get the same one.
    I'd recommend staying away from crossfire for rift. People are having nothing but problems with it (myself included).
    Last edited by ExViator; 02-22-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for all the great feedback! I think I'm gonna take Aeovanti's combo idea to save a few and Travatron's setup. It sounds like a pretty solid bang for your buck. I would be ok with just playing at high, I just hate minimum. It takes so much of RIFT's potential away.

+ Reply to Thread