+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DXWSETUP.EXE: "Malware detected."

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default DXWSETUP.EXE: "Malware detected."

According to my current copy of AVG, when I run the RIFT live patcher, the "DXWSETUP.EXE" it tries to install looks like malware.

I'm assuming that's supposed to just be the usual directx setup... and that should be properly signed by MS and everything, shouldn't it?

Shadowlander

Same thing happened to me with AVG. I'm guessing its a false positive (I know this happens with WoW and AVG from time to time as well). At least I hope so since I told AVG it was ok!

It's a false positive....unless you decided to DL a pirated copy.....then....
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-22-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

... a "pirated copy"?

WTF?

Is there any conceivable reason for someone to try to "pirate" an MMO client, given that the companies are giving them away?

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    ... a "pirated copy"?

WTF?

Is there any conceivable reason for someone to try to "pirate" an MMO client, given that the companies are giving them away?

Dude..it's his avatar speaking, not him

RIFT Community Ambassador

According to my current copy of AVG, when I run the RIFT live patcher, the "DXWSETUP.EXE" it tries to install looks like malware.

I'm assuming that's supposed to just be the usual directx setup... and that should be properly signed by MS and everything, shouldn't it?
    false positive.
    however if you dont trust it you have the option to unclick it.
    just go download it on the microsoft site.

DirectX 9.0C Web Installer
    DirectX 9.0C Redistributable
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Not the first time AVG mistakes Windows components as malware. Not the last either.

My suggestion, get some decent software. Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good.

I might even have microsoft security essentials too. Long story; basically, whenever I ask what antivirus people recommend, I get at least one "this is the best" and at least one "this is crap" for every single one of them on the market. AVG won slightly among my serious sysadmin friends.

... What really bugs me, though, is that I recently heard that one of the recent Norton products was good. I'd pretty much assumed they were permanently dead after Symantec bought them.

I might even have microsoft security essentials too. Long story; basically, whenever I ask what antivirus people recommend, I get at least one "this is the best" and at least one "this is crap" for every single one of them on the market. AVG won slightly among my serious sysadmin friends.

... What really bugs me, though, is that I recently heard that one of the recent Norton products was good. I'd pretty much assumed they were permanently dead after Symantec bought them.
    if you are running to av's actively at the same time thats bad. they fight each other

Quote Originally Posted by Gwailo View Post
    Not the first time AVG mistakes Windows components as malware. Not the last either.

My suggestion, get some decent software. Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good.
    I agree with Gwailo.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Also, I am becoming more and more convinced that AVG is malicious software.

Also, what ThatTomGuy said, running two AV/Malware apps at the same time is a bad idea, can cause all sort of weird...stuff even if they appear to cohabitate alright.
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-23-2011 at 06:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread