+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: DXWSETUP.EXE: "Malware detected."

  1. #1
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default DXWSETUP.EXE: "Malware detected."

    According to my current copy of AVG, when I run the RIFT live patcher, the "DXWSETUP.EXE" it tries to install looks like malware.

    I'm assuming that's supposed to just be the usual directx setup... and that should be properly signed by MS and everything, shouldn't it?

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Same thing happened to me with AVG. I'm guessing its a false positive (I know this happens with WoW and AVG from time to time as well). At least I hope so since I told AVG it was ok!

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Anakha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    It's a false positive....unless you decided to DL a pirated copy.....then....
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-22-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

    GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

    Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

  4. #4
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    ... a "pirated copy"?

    WTF?

    Is there any conceivable reason for someone to try to "pirate" an MMO client, given that the companies are giving them away?

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Chandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    ... a "pirated copy"?

    WTF?

    Is there any conceivable reason for someone to try to "pirate" an MMO client, given that the companies are giving them away?

    Dude..it's his avatar speaking, not him

  6. #6
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    According to my current copy of AVG, when I run the RIFT live patcher, the "DXWSETUP.EXE" it tries to install looks like malware.

    I'm assuming that's supposed to just be the usual directx setup... and that should be properly signed by MS and everything, shouldn't it?
    false positive.
    however if you dont trust it you have the option to unclick it.
    just go download it on the microsoft site.

    DirectX 9.0C Web Installer
    DirectX 9.0C Redistributable
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara Gwailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Not the first time AVG mistakes Windows components as malware. Not the last either.

    My suggestion, get some decent software. Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good.

  8. #8
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    I might even have microsoft security essentials too. Long story; basically, whenever I ask what antivirus people recommend, I get at least one "this is the best" and at least one "this is crap" for every single one of them on the market. AVG won slightly among my serious sysadmin friends.

    ... What really bugs me, though, is that I recently heard that one of the recent Norton products was good. I'd pretty much assumed they were permanently dead after Symantec bought them.

  9. #9
    Ascendant ThatTomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I might even have microsoft security essentials too. Long story; basically, whenever I ask what antivirus people recommend, I get at least one "this is the best" and at least one "this is crap" for every single one of them on the market. AVG won slightly among my serious sysadmin friends.

    ... What really bugs me, though, is that I recently heard that one of the recent Norton products was good. I'd pretty much assumed they were permanently dead after Symantec bought them.
    if you are running to av's actively at the same time thats bad. they fight each other

  10. #10
    General of Telara Kuldebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwailo View Post
    Not the first time AVG mistakes Windows components as malware. Not the last either.

    My suggestion, get some decent software. Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good.
    I agree with Gwailo.


    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    Also, I am becoming more and more convinced that AVG is malicious software.

    Also, what ThatTomGuy said, running two AV/Malware apps at the same time is a bad idea, can cause all sort of weird...stuff even if they appear to cohabitate alright.
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-23-2011 at 06:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts