+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to build a new gaming rig...any suggestions?

Telaran

Default Looking to build a new gaming rig...any suggestions?

Welp, the time has come, my last rig blew up a year ago and have sufficed on this little laptop of mine.

I haven't built a rig since we were still dealing with 32 bit processors (its been a looong time XD) so I'm out of the loop on what's good, what's bad, what's decent.

Am looking at building a decent rig which will be upgradeable down the line, spending around $1000 max.

I know some of you big tech kids love throwing this stuff out, so give me some opinions, looking to run Rift on decent settings, FPS is definitely what matters though obviously.

Thanks in advance

Soulwalker

If you can wait another 4 weeks or so until Intel re-releases the Sandy bridge chipsets and CPU's I'd wait. Otherwise, if you need it now go with something along these lines.

case
    motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    HDD
    GRAPHICS
    POWER SUPPLY
    DVD

Total cost would be $1,170 minus $70 MIR so about $1,100 provided you have an O/S to use. Shipping is minimal or free on most items. If you need an O/S adding Windows7 is another $100.

If you want to futureproof a little by adding a larger powersupply to handle SLI you'd replace the 650 listed with this POWER SUPPLY adding another $40 overall.

If you want to bust the bank a little add a SSD drive for your O/S. You'll need to keep programs that occupy a lot of space on the standard drive but your O/S will boot in seconds and standard programs (if installed on the SSD) will be very fast to open. I'd recommend Windows 7 if you go with the SSD for proper TRIM support.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Mountaineer; 02-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Well, it's kind of a weird time to buy. Intel's "next gen" chip, Sandy Bridge, has been released and going soley on CPU performance, it just stomps what was available at the same price point before ($325 2600Ks matching and beating $1000 980X in things that use 8 or fewer cores... like just about everything). Plus, they OC like banshees. I have mine at a fairly average 4.7GHz, I've seen people with water cooling running stable at 5.2

The bad news is, Intel let a bug slip into their P67 chipset which corrupts the SATA2 ports. This won't affect many, many people as not many use more than 2 hard drives (it doesn't seem to affect optical drives). It does however, effect them in the fact that P67 boards are almost impossible to find right now! They won't be widely available until sometime around April, so if you can hold out, I'd say do it.

If, however, you're still running some old P4 system and want to upgrade NOW, there's plenty of good news. The old 1366 platform is still alive and kicking and offers gamers some benefits not seen in the Sandy Bridge, like true multi-lane 16x PCIE slots and triple channel memory. If you're building a $1000 PC, a 1366 system will leave you lots of headroom to grow, all the way up to a 6-core 990X down the line, so let's make that the base of our new gaming rig.

Second of course if the CPU, well, there's some sweet spots in this department: pretty much anything from 920-960, depending on your budget and Intel's current pricing! So, we'll see what kind of cash we have left and how fast a processor we can go with.

Next is Memory. 1366 boards (or more specifically the x58 chipset) was designed to run in triple channel mode, so our RAM will be in multiples of 3. Our options are 3, 6 or 12 GB. 3 is right out. While not bad, RAM is so obscenely cheap right now, you'd be silly to bottleneck yourself by not having enough in a new build. 12GB is overkill for gaming. Rarely does running the OS+game put us over 4, so unless you're also going to do serious video rendering, we can save some cash and go with 6.

The Video card (GPU) is about as debated a component as you can get. Many people say the game runs better on an Nvidia card, but I've never had any problems with my ATI. They offer different feature sets, so you could decide on that. If you want to rock 3+ monitors then ATI is the only way to go with 1 GPU. However, if you do folding@home, Nvidia is the only real choice. even a 460 can net you 10-12K points per day. Also of course is your resolution and budget, probably the 2 most important considerations. You don't mention, so we'll assume a middle of the road resolution of 1920x1080... unless your budget includes a monitor as well, in which case we'll need to rework everything since this build won't include one.

For storage, I'd say for a new build a 1TB hard drive for storage is a given. They are quite inexpensive right now, and a few of them such as the Samsung Spintoint F3 or the WD Caviar Black offer almost the performance of yesterday's (and today's) Raptors, due to super high platter density. An SSD is a luxury. It's an amazing to have luxury and you'll hate to use other people's computers if yours has one, but they are very expensive, and are too big of a tradeoff in a $1000 build in my opinion.

The rest of the stuff is fairly standard. A good, quality power supply from a name brand like Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec is a must. Corsair are especially en vogue right now, and for good reason. Cases are almost purely aesthetic and budget oriented, but some things like cable routing and bottom-mounted power supplies are a must-have in my book, and obviously nice cooling options.

So, now that we know pretty much what we're looking for, let's get into details. I will include shipping in the price.

Asus Sabertooth x58, $200: A very solid mobo without getting ridiculous in proce. Good OC ability, 3 PCIex16 slots (16, 16 and 4) and the Asus name.

Intel i7 950, $279: Although the recent price cuts make the 6-core 970 an amazing deal, we just don't need that power for gaming, not to mention it'll eat 60% of our budget!

6GB Corsair XMS3, $70: Corsair started in memory, and they still do it right. PC1600 will allow a little OC headroom.

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB, $169: We had to compromise a bit here, but don't let anyone tell you a 460 isn't a hell of a card. Prices are plummeting on these as well, so in 6 months or so you'll easily pick up another for $100ish for 580-like performance. The 1GB versions are certainly worth the extra coin over the 768MB for 1920x1080 resolution.

Corsair 650W PSU, $70: 80%+ Certified, enough power to easly power that second video card when you get it. A good name brand won't leave you with a dead PC in 2 years.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, $70: Nothing to see here...

Rosewill Challanger Case, $55: I generally avoid Roswill, but I build a friend's machine in one of these and was nothing if not impressed, especially for the price.

Asus 24X DVD Burner, $18: You put shiny stuff in it.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, $100: The king is dead, long live the king. XP was great, but this will allow you to use all your memory, is slick and speedy, and supports DX11. A must-have.

Total: $1027. Just missed that budget, but, there's nothing I'd change. We could go cheap and use 3GB of RAM or some no-name PSU, but that's silly. We could use a socket 1156 system, but that would leave you no room for upgrades. This is the system I'd build for $1000 right now (well, I'd work an hour OT, then buy it).

Edit: Amazing how similar the poster above's build is to mine, he just ignores the budget by about $200 more than me!
    Last edited by Travatron; 02-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Telaran

Lot of intel fan boys on these forums. While some of these guys are going for the maximum budget on your rig, you can easily get a downgraded video card or even an AMD hexi-core which will out perform the i7 quads and is cheaper. If you plan on upgrading down the line you don't need anything like the 570 because the newer chips are continuously coming out. AMD Hexi-core and a 6850/70 will stomp this game on ultra easily for a fraction of the cost that's been thrown at you. Newegg.com is your friend.

Shadowlander

I just ordered new video cards for my system today.

The below site was useful, it shows current deals on cards for various sites.

http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_2_5

I was able to pick up 2 Radeon 5870's (a single 5870 stomps the 460 in most if not all benchmarks) for $180 each, a steal, and the same price of the 460 linked above. After doing research on video cards for the last 3 days, I really think the 5870 is the best bang for the buck right now.

Benchmarks showing 460 vs 5870: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=294
    Last edited by tropez; 02-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeovanti View Post
    Lot of intel fan boys on these forums. While some of these guys are going for the maximum budget on your rig, you can easily get a downgraded video card or even an AMD hexi-core which will out perform the i7 quads and is cheaper. If you plan on upgrading down the line you don't need anything like the 570 because the newer chips are continuously coming out. AMD Hexi-core and a 6850/70 will stomp this game on ultra easily for a fraction of the cost that's been thrown at you. Newegg.com is your friend.
    I would just love to see the benchmark of a Phenom II 1000 series outperforming an intel 900 series... in anything. Not to say they're not good chips, but to say they beat them in benchmarks or gaming is just a lie.

A few good PC guilds for different budgets: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...ebruary-2011/1

Quote Originally Posted by Aeovanti View Post
    an AMD hexi-core which will out perform the i7 quads and is cheaper
    Umm, no?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...High,2418.html
    Last edited by BlackUdder; 02-22-2011 at 07:38 PM.

@OP: If you can wait build around the i5 sandy bridge (or even wait to see what the Bulldozer APUs bring to the table). If not the i5 1156 socket and Phenom II x 4 AM3 are both more than adequate and are easily overclocked.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Rift Disciple

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/m...eam-gaming-pc/

Each component is spec'd to work with every other component. Very solid advice, links to NewEgg, dozens of possible builds.

Telaran

Thanks alot for all of the advice guys, glad to see there isn't too much nerd rage tech war going on yet XD.

Actually yeah I could wait a month or so if I really wanted, I'm running a decent hp lappy I bought on a limb last year when my desktop finally gave up after roughly 10 years of running/upgrades.

Like I said, I've been out of the building game for quite some time, but this laptop isn't the greatest, it runs rift decently on low settings, but would like to see how gorgeous this game apparently is from the screenies I've seen folks with decent setups posting.

With these new sandybridge chipsets coming out, what exactly is the big deal? They'll be able to run faster CPUs and whatnot is the big thing? Sorry like I said, a big ignorant on all the new tech, 64 bit systems in general in fact.

Also glad to see that Newegg seems to still be the go-to place, and I'll definitely be keeping those first two builds in mind. Thanks again, time to start doing some homework and socking away cash for the new system

The Sandy Bridge chps, apart from being a new socket and therefore having support for longer, have much higher IPC (basically the work they do per clock cycle), so they will run amok on their similarly-clocked first-gen i7 cousins.

The K versions also overclock extremely well, so not only do you have better stock clock performance, you get amazing OC performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Travatron View Post
    The Sandy Bridge chps, apart from being a new socket and therefore having support for longer, have much higher IPC (basically the work they do per clock cycle), so they will run amok on their similarly-clocked first-gen i7 cousins.

The K versions also overclock extremely well, so not only do you have better stock clock performance, you get amazing OC performance.
    I can vouch for it's OC abilities. I can get to 4.8ghz on low voltages and temps ~55 under load. In other words I could go a LOT higher if I had a better motherboard.

I have seen a sandy bridge at 5.8ghz on air cooling.

Also I lol'd at the AMD guy who thought his budget-bin hardware was actually competitive.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

if you can wait (or get your hands on one now) I recommend the sandybridge.. I got the i5 and it absolutely screams... sadly I got a model of the bugged mobo's but as I have my HDD's on SATA3 it doesn't effect me, (and I get a new mobo in april)

My system ran me around 720, had I needed to purchase a new PSU it would have been more like 770..all purchased from Newegg..

i5-2300 - $184.99
    ASRock H67 - 89.99
    OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600 - $45
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm @ 500gig $57.98 ($28.99 ea)
    XFX HD5870 - 199.99
    Raidmax Hybrid PSU @ 630 Watts (SLI/CF ready)- 48.99
    Asus DVD/CD combo - $17
    NZXT Vulcan Case - 69.99
    Windows 7 pro upgrade (student discount)- $60

all added up this = $773.93 + about $15 for shipping (most was shipped for free)
    Last edited by R3ktUrFac3; 02-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Rekt-Eth Cleric-Faemist

Shadowlander

Sure...this is right up my alley. I do this for people all day!

Intel Core i7 950

Corsair TX750 v2 PSU

MSI X58 Pro-E

CoolerMaster HAF 912

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Western Digital 1TB Black SATA 6Gb

Mushkin 6GB DDR3 1333mhz

Samsung DVD-RW

That's all $1013 from newegg. As other people have suggested though, I'd wait for the B3 revision sandy bridge motherboards. They should be around in a few weeks. Besides generally being quite a bit faster than the current generation i5 and i7, they are also cheaper. The boards are generally cheaper as well as the fact that you only have to do double-channel memory (two or four sticks or RAM) instead of triple-channel (3 or 6 sticks).

Also, don't get a cheap PSU. PSU brands I'd buy:

Corsair - any of them
    Antec - anything aside from basic or their green line
    PC Power & Cooling - any
    Thermaltake - toughpower or higher.
    Seasonic - nearly all
    Enermax - most of their units

Units I wouldn't use if someone gave them to me:

Kingwin
    Rosewill
    Diablotek
    Raidmax

A lot of those cheaper units will NOT provide the amount of power they advertise. Also, a lot of them have a nasty habit of supply very unstable power to your components. The last thing you want is for the unit that provides power to your entire system to suck.

Also, the WD Black drives are built a lot better than their blue or green series. Not only that, I've seen a ton of failures from brands like samsung and seagate as of late. The black drives carry a 5-year warranty and are as close to a enterprise level drive you're going to get without going raptor or higher.

There's absolutely no reason to buy an AMD CPU right now. It's honestly personal preference as far as Nvidia or AMD for your GPU. The XFX 5870 that R3ktUrFac3 got for $199 was one hell of a buy.
    Last edited by sil3ntearth; 02-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    *insert witty signature here*

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    I can vouch for it's OC abilities. I can get to 4.8ghz on low voltages and temps ~55 under load. In other words I could go a LOT higher if I had a better motherboard.

I have seen a sandy bridge at 5.8ghz on air cooling.

Also I lol'd at the AMD guy who thought his budget-bin hardware was actually competitive.
    While you think the end all of computing is gaming, there are several other tests that CPUs undergo on these benchmarks which show they actually are competitve. Lot of rude people on these forums who think their idea is the only right idea, especially when in fact everyone doesn't have a deep pocket book to buy the latest and greatest product. My AMD is very competitive when it comes to rendering and that's the main source of what I use it for. Does it run all my games without noticeable fps loss? Of course. Your computer doesn't have to be at the top of the benchmark list to be a beast for what you use it for is all I'm saying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast