+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ssd question

Rift Disciple

Default ssd question

if i bought a ssd just for rift and used a sata 6 hd for my os will rift have better load times?

Yup, your load times will be much better, but even a 32GB SSD would be big enough for Win7 and 1 game. For reference, I have Win7, COD:BO, Crysis, Rift, and SCII as well as various thing like Mozilla, etc on my SSD and it's only at 55gb full.

Playing rift from my SSD is a much better experience than playing from my hard drive.

Yes, SSD will offer a noticeable improvement in load times.

Also, have a look through:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...oad+times&aq=f

Rift Disciple

i was kinda deciding if i wanted a 90gb for the os rift and a few other games

Quote Originally Posted by roop182 View Post
    i was kinda deciding if i wanted a 90gb for the os rift and a few other games
    I picked up a 120GB SSD and have Windows and my currently played game(s) on it. Windows 7 is so much more responsive (and quieter) on the SSD, so I'm very happy with my decision. The page file (if you have one) also benefit's greatly from being on the SSD drive.

Shadowlander

Intel has a new generation of faster SSD's coming out next month, 510's, that should hopefully shake up the pricing on SSD's as a whole. You may want to wait a couple more weeks to see what happens.

Telaran

Um .. No.

It depends on the game.

Your load times may increase by a 1/2 - 1 second for a game like rift.
    Once the game is loaded, it runs from memory. So the SSd really will not help that much, and will do absolutely nothing for the Games performance. (You will not gain more FPS)

The OS however, benefits greatly.
    SSDs have little acess time. So they can access data, located anywhere on the drive instantly. They do not need to search for it like a mechanical HD does.
    The OS is constantly loading many small files, located all over the drive.
    This is why a SSD improves the Performance so much.

Also, keep in mind..
    Do not be fooled by Sales Tactics when shopping for a SSD. Many Advertise the Sequential Read/Write as a way of determining how fast it is.
    This does not really help that much for the OS and applications, because its all about the 4K Random Read/Write.
    This is why sometimes a seemingly faster SSD seems slower running Windows. One may have slower Seq. but its Random are far faster, where the all the benefit comes from.

Ideally, if you can pick up around a 80GB, you can get the best of both worlds. Install the OS and all your apps on it, and maybe 1 or 2 games you are currently playing.

If you go with a smaller drive, just install the OS and APPS, and put Games on a spinner. You will still get a HUGE performance boost in everything.
    Even games on a spinner will load slightly faster (granted not much) because that drive is no longer busy doing Windows common routines, rather dedicated to simply loading DATA on demand.

Also, I would Advise keeping DATA such as Music, Videos, Pictures on a Spinning drive. These do not need fast access times.

The point Im trying to make with all this babble is ..
    It is not worth buying a SSD for Games only, and the OS on a Spinner. the gain in load times does not even come close to the gain your Operating System and Application will get from it.
    Get it, but put the OS on it.

Personally, I like Intel SSDs. The look slower in the Seq dept, but in the real world they are faster than most, due to random.
    Last edited by ArchEnemy; 02-22-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Intel has a new generation of faster SSD's coming out next month, 510's, that should hopefully shake up the pricing on SSD's as a whole. You may want to wait a couple more weeks to see what happens.
    I agree. The current generation of ssds will most certainly be coming down in price.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Very good point.
    Looking forward to seeing them myself.

Air
    Soulwalker

I recently (last week) got mine in. 2 x 120 OCZ Agility 2. I had already been playing Rift for weeks and the difference was very noticeable. Basically the loading wheel would go to 24% then skip instantly to 100.
    Great investment IMO

Agility2 RAID 0

Quote Originally Posted by ArchEnemy View Post
    Um .. No.

It depends on the game.

Your load times may increase by a 1/2 - 1 second for a game like rift.
    I agree with everything you said except this. My vertex 2 SSD has ~300MB read times (real world) and >0.1ms seek. My WD blacks in raid0 have 120MB read and <10ms seek.

My load times are far superior on my SSD for ALL games including rift. Hell, in FPS games, RTS games etc I'm usually in the game at least 10 seconds before everyone else and they aren't massive installs like rift is where the difference is even greater.

Check out some of those youtube video's for side by side comparisons in games (including MMO's).
    Last edited by BlackUdder; 02-22-2011 at 03:35 PM.

I was thinking of putting an SSD in my system, would i need to buy another copy of Windows 7 if I used the SSD as my boot drive?

Soulwalker

SSD isn't really ready for commercialization at this point IMO, both technology and pricing wise. Instead of using a SSD or a regular SATA drive, why not go for a faster SAS drive? The 15k Seagate Cheetah's are really the best of both worlds, and they recently came out with some larger capacity drives. If you really want to get crazy with your performance, add a RAID-5 or RAID-10 card with 3-4 hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    I was thinking of putting an SSD in my system, would i need to buy another copy of Windows 7 if I used the SSD as my boot drive?
    No, but you'd be best installing a fresh copy of your Win 7 on the new SSD.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    No just re-install it .. if it won't activate just use the telephone activation.
    Had my fair share of hardware swapping lately due to a run of bad luck :P

I mean you can't really break anything if you just put in the SSD and re-install since everything will be on your sata drive anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast