+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9800 Pro question

Soulwalker

Default 9800 Pro question

I have a PCIE X16 slot type on my cheapo motherboard. Can a 9800 Pro fit into that or no? Also, if it can't, what card should I get under 150.00 (Canada). Power supply is only 250w and I have 3g ram. Thanks for the help.

That's an AGP card, is it not? Also, it's 6 years old.

250 watts is a really low powered PSU, it's going to be tricky to find a modern GPU for that.

If upgrading isn't an option or if you don't know how/uncomfortable replacing a PSU there might be a card that would work out. You just aren't going to have much flexibility for any substantial upgrades.

Can you give the actual specs:

Motherboard model and manufacturer

CPU type and make

dont think it will work
    Last edited by flyinpoons; 02-22-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Soulwalker

My motherboard is a Acer MCP73VE
    Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.50 GHz, 32 bit
    3 GB ram
    Intergrated video card -- Geforce 7050 620i

Edit -- I can't buy a new computer at this time however am willing to buy a new video card and I guess power supply if need be...depends on cost
    Last edited by Sweatstains; 02-22-2011 at 02:33 PM.

The motherboard is typical for off the shelf Gateway/Acer systems and it's dated as well.

I'd not advise trying to upgrade that machine, you will spend time and money for very little benefit and no future proofing.

If you must press on and try to salvage it. You need to replace the PSU with something better in order to use a decent PCI-E GPU.

Chances are the current PSU is a BTX type, that could limit what you can replace it with because of your case and space available.

And, GPU to play Rift, with appropriate settings, there are many under 150 dollars. The CPU you have won't be breaking any records, but it appears to be passable.
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks very much. I'm going to try and just buy a new one...maybe follow one of the other threads suggesting getting a comp from directron. But if the wife doesn't let me....a new PSU and GPU will have to cut it for now.

Thanks again bro.

I just posted this in another thread. Best video cards listed by price bracket. Starts at under $100 and goes all the way up to over $400. You might find it helpful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...card,2857.html

You will absolutely have to upgrade that 250w PSU if you buy a current video card. That's just cripplingly weak.
    Last edited by Gutter; 02-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.

No problem!

Just so you know, I play Rift on a 100 dollar GPU. I bought it from Newegg, was an "open box" deal. The card is an HD 5770 and it has served me well. I get 30-35 FPS in Rift on Ultra settings with AA enabled, but that drops substantially in Rifts and invasions to around 20 FPS.

I still think more optimizing by Trion will improve that situation.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Well if your in Canada, check out www.NCIX.com, when your ready to buy a new system. Jus tpost on the forums there and well be able to help you. (Dont work for them, just post there)
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

Soulwalker

Do all power supplies work with what I have or does it have to be something specific. Seems like PSU's are inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatstains View Post
    Do all power supplies work with what I have or does it have to be something specific. Seems like PSU's are inexpensive.
    The PSU shouldn't be an issue unless you have a case that it won't fit into.

Best thing to do, get the model and make of your current PSU, and then we can probably ascertain what it can be replaced with in good confidence.

Here's a good page with some guides:

http://www.directron.com/howtochoosco.html

Cheap PSU's are usually crap. Go with an Antec, Corsair, or I think OCZ makes decent ones too.

I've been looking over some things, if your case isn't a micro BTX case, you shouldn't have any issues.

Also, like Gutter said, don't go too cheap on the PSU, try to get something in the 400 watt range or higher. However considering the machine you are getting the PSU for, I wouldn't get anything overly pricey at this juncture.

I bought a re-certified OCZ Sttealthstream and it only cost me 40 bucks.
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-22-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks again for everyone's time. I appreciate all the info.

The PSU that is currently in use is Delta Electronics Inc, Model DPS-250AB-22 E
    As for the case I have I do not believe it's a micro. Just a standard big piece of crap.

After upgrading the PSU and video card I hope I can handle RIFT until I can upgrade everything else to make a new computer altogether. Won't be for awhile as I'm spending my funds on a man cave

Cool Beans, it could buy you some time cheaply, let us know how you fare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast