+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So im looking at ordering a

Rift Chaser

Default So im looking at ordering a

Nvidia Sparkle Geforce GTX 460 fermi 2 gb DDR5 Vid card tommorrow!

Any issues/concerns/worries I should have regarding this game and that specific vid card?
    Being a Self appointed message board Spelling Police remains the lowest form of trolling around!

Dont be a Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
    Nvidia Sparkle Geforce GTX 460 fermi 2 gb DDR5 Vid card tommorrow!

Any issues/concerns/worries I should have regarding this game and that specific vid card?
    It's a good card. Only concern I would have is if someone asked me what gtx brand I bought.
    "Oh, it's a sparkle"

I haven't seen my GPU memory usage go beyond 800 mb, but I sure wish mine had 2GB for that extra leg room.

Hopefully, you'll have no problems and have a great experience. (sometimes you're unlucky and get a dud)

You don't mention what you're paying for it or what resolution you're running at, but the 2GB version will really only come into play over it's much cheaper 1GB version at resolutions of 2560x1600 and higher, otherwise, it's kind of a waste of $60-$70. For about the same price, you can get a 1GB 560ti that will easily outperform your the 460 at 1920x1080 (Standard resolution for 25" and under monitors), and probably match it at higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Travatron View Post
    You don't mention what you're paying for it or what resolution you're running at, but the 2GB version will really only come into play over it's much cheaper 1GB version at resolutions of 2560x1600 and higher, otherwise, it's kind of a waste of $60-$70. For about the same price, you can get a 1GB 560ti that will easily outperform your the 460 at 1920x1080 (Standard resolution for 25" and under monitors), and probably match it at higher.
    I'm going to assume he's buying from newegg for 214 dollars.
    About 30 dollars cheaper than the cheapest 560

Rift Chaser

Tiger Direct here in Canada for $275.00

Actually im having a issue

I can afford

2 GB vid card + 4 Gigs Ram for roughly $400.00
    or

Nvidia Galaxy Geforce GT 430, 1 GB ram GDDR3 (what the hell is the G for? I get DDR3 part) for $77.99 + 8 GB Ram for $200.00

Which is the better way to go right now?

Im kinda leaning to the 1Gb vid/ 8 GB Ram as im sure the 2 GB vid card will drop in price a year from now!

And as a poster said, no games use more then 1 GB vid ram at this time anyways.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Being a Self appointed message board Spelling Police remains the lowest form of trolling around!

Dont be a Troll!

Shadowlander

I just ordered new video cards today for my rig. I decided on 2 x 5870's which I got new for $180 each, a steal for the performance.

Check out these graphs, you will see that they outperform the 460. (yeah it only shows the 1GB model but the 2GB of ram on a single card will more than likely be a waste)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=294

I agree with the response about the 2GB of memory, that won't be needed unless you are running extremely high resolutions or a ton of monitors. The ATI cards that have 2GB of RAM also run 6 monitors, something most gamers don't do.

Here is a link to some good deals, this is where I found my $180 5870's (which are still a badass card, no BS, check the reviews). The offer expires today, so you need to order today to get the $180 deal but I'm sure more will pop up.

http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_2_5

Good luck.

PS, that XFX brand has a kick butt Double Lifetime Warranty. So if you register the card, then sell it on eBay years from now, the warranty transfers to the second owner. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by tropez; 02-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.

I'd go with Radeon 5770 Its cheaper and will lost you quite awhile...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by gootech View Post
    I'd go with Radeon 5770 Its cheaper and will lost you quite awhile...

The 5870 smokes the 5770 and is only about $50 more. FYI, see my above post. I've spent the last 3 days researching this crap. LOL

Benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=294
    Last edited by tropez; 02-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.

I wouldn't even consider a 430, it's not really a gaming card that GDDR3 (the G is for Graphics) is old and slow. The 430 is missing many shader units and runs at a slow clock speed. You won't be happy with it. If I were you, I'd go with a 1GB GTX460 and 4GB or memory. Ballparking, that should run you around $250 US dollars.

Shadowlander

Tiger Direct here in Canada for $275.00

Actually im having a issue

I can afford

2 GB vid card + 4 Gigs Ram for roughly $400.00
    or

Nvidia Galaxy Geforce GT 430, 1 GB ram GDDR3 (what the hell is the G for? I get DDR3 part) for $77.99 + 8 GB Ram for $200.00

Which is the better way to go right now?

Im kinda leaning to the 1Gb vid/ 8 GB Ram as im sure the 2 GB vid card will drop in price a year from now!

And as a poster said, no games use more then 1 GB vid ram at this time anyways.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Don't do the 430. I would much rather have a smokin video card and 4GB of RAM. I have 8GB of RAM and i'm rarely over 4. Spend your money on a good card, check my other post for an amazing deal on one of the best cards out there at one of the best price points, the 5870.

Rift Chaser

hmmm thanks all

Hardware has never been my thing what so ever so appreciate the feedback before I order

The Reason im looking at a 2 GB Vid card right now is cause I dont want to have to try and upgrade vid card in 3-5 years from now to a new standard. Trying to predict the forseeable future while I have the cash on hand!

LOL, wasnt all that long ago really a 256 meg card was top of line.

But yeah, maybe the 2 gb card (I looked at benchmarks and honestly thought the 460 was better, sure it was slightly less in graphic display (not a huge deal, im currently playing RIFT with a 512 meg card and 1 gb ram and think game looks great, I dont need top of line everything) but in terms of heat generation and power there was a big difference for the 460 based off those benchmarks (thanks for showing those).

Im currently having a heat issue with my 512 card but figure thats most the card wanting to explode from being pushed to hard by RIFT (LOL).

And Ram cheap so I can always grab 8 more GBs in a couple months from now.

So final question

Do any of you forsee any issues running

Dual core Pent Amd Athlon 64X2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.6Ghz
    2 GB GTX Geforce Vid Card
    5 GB ram

Im good for RIFT or any program/Game under Rifts specs with that set up right?
    Last edited by Kalfear; 02-22-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Dont be a Troll!

Shadowlander

hmmm thanks all

Hardware has never been my thing what so ever so appreciate the feedback before I order

The Reason im looking at a 2 GB Vid card right now is cause I dont want to have to try and upgrade vid card in 3-5 years from now to a new standard. Trying to predict the forseeable future while I have the cash on hand!

LOL, wasnt all that long ago really a 256 meg card was top of line.

But yeah, maybe the 2 gb card (I looked at benchmarks and honestly thought the 460 was better, sure it was slightly less in graphic display (not a huge deal, im currently playing RIFT with a 512 meg card and 1 gb ram and think game looks great, I dont need top of line everything) but in terms of heat generation and power there was a big difference for the 460 based off those benchmarks (thanks for showing those).

Im currently having a heat issue with my 512 card but figure thats most the card wanting to explode from being pushed to hard by RIFT (LOL).

And Ram cheap so I can always grab 8 more GBs in a couple months from now.

So final question

Do any of you forsee any issues running

Dual core Pent Amd Athlon 64X2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.6Ghz
    2 GB GTX Geforce Vid Card
    5 GB ram

Im good for RIFT or any program/Game under Rifts specs with that set up right?
    Here is another user in the same situation..

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2132889

Not too sure on the processors, I've mostly been doing video research lately. I run an i7 Intel processor now, sorry I can't help there.

Kalfear, if your trying not to update for awhile wouldn't you want to get the 560 as it has replaced the 460. You'd be starting out behind already.
    Last edited by SWTORlooksbad; 02-22-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Soulwalker

MSI 570 on newegg for $249, by far best price for what you get. Has great stock cooling and can OC to meet the more expensive cards.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORlooksbad View Post
    Tropez, if your trying not to update for awhile wouldn't you want to get the 560 as it has replaced the 460. You'd be starting out behind already.
    Well, I had to walk a fine line between costs, and longevity. I decided that the features of the 5870 (proven card, very high performance, DX11) as well as the cost ($180) was the best bet for me. The $560 is $250 ($70 more expensive) and really just trades blows with the 5870.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=294

Who knows, something new could come out, but I think this will be fine for some years still.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast