+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Download speed questions.

Soulwalker

Default Download speed questions.

I'm running Vista and have been playing another MMO for a long while. My downloads for patches and reinstalling the game have been 1-2 days average. Downloading the open beta here took about 17 hours. A couple of gaming friends followed me to the open beta and they downloaded 1-2 hours.

I did a couple of internet download speed tests and they came back at 1.20mbps while the average speed for downloading the beta was around 125mps. Do those figures equate? Not sure since I don't know what the mbps and the mps stand for.

Also, have unblocked the Windows firewall for the other game and just verified it's still unblocked. But the other game warns me every time that it seems it's behind a firewall.

Can anyone tell me if those speeds make sense? And also if there is anything I can do to speed things up before head start? I'd like to be able to download the game and be ready to play at launch if at all possible.

Shadowlander

1,20Mbps means 1,20 Mega bit per second.

I byte = 8 bits, so 1,2Mbps = 1,20/8=125KBps, which is very slow.
    I would definetly suggest you to check with your internet provder what internet speed you should have for your subscription. if its way too low there might be someone leeching of your internet connection.

If you got wireless internetmodem and playing with a wired connection then make sure you are disabeling the WLAN on your modem/router.

If you are using Wiress connection, then check if you got your WPA2 security active on it, if you dont secure your WLAN connection then anyone in the neigbourhood can easely jump on your internet and leech your connection.
    CPU: Core i5 750 S1156 | Mainboard: Asrock P55 Pro/USB3 | Ram: 12GB GeIL 1333 Black Dragon | Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB DDR5 | OCZ ModXSTream Pro 700W | Aerocool Rs-9 Devil Red Casing

Prophet of Telara

May not be that. Could just be the simple fact of distance to the servers.
    To CA west coast US http://www.speedtest.net/result/1170460947.png I'm in Melbourne Australia

+ Reply to Thread