+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: who plans on playing Rift on thier Laptop?

Default who plans on playing Rift on thier Laptop?

hey guys,

as i eagerly await the release of Rift the doubts of how the game will perform on my machine start to creep in, i plan to game using my notebook which is a gaming notebook but still i have worries.....

how many of you all have played the Beta of Rift using a laptop/notebook and how did it perform? what where your specs and what would you change to optimize performance?

my machine is an Alienware M17x with a i7-740QM @ 2.93GHz and CFX HD5870 can i expect reasonable FPS.

thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by mtness View Post
    how many of you all have played the Beta of Rift using a laptop/notebook and how did it perform? what where your specs and what would you change to optimize performance?
    I have an HP Paviliion dv7t laptop. (I'm at work so I can't provide the exact model number.) It's by no means a gaming laptop. I believe it has a "dedicated" ati graphics card (mobility radeon, not sure what model) but does not have dedicated memory. I have 4GB memory in the box.

I had to play on the lowest settings. The ones the game automatically picked were fine. I didn't check my fps rate. I had to use a laptop cooling pad to keep the box temperature down.

The only time I noticed a problem with stutter/lag was when I was doing up-close melee near the center of a rift. My video card just doesn't have the juice. I was fine with rift battles as long as I stood at range.

I didn't participate in instances or warfronts during the beta so can't comment on that.
    Last edited by Calidge; 02-22-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Telaran

Hi there! My wife plays on a laptop with a 5870 and is happy with it. With a few tweaks the game runs between High and Ultra at around 30 fps. It'll dip into the 20s during big rifts, but it's still smooth.

You'll need to mess with settings to get it just right, but it looks pretty nice to me considering it's a laptop and I'm a video snob.

I expect performance to improve over time as well.
    "Guardians! What is your vocation?!"
    CPU: i5-2500k @ 4GHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 570 @ 875/2000 | Sound: Xonar D1 -> ATH-m50 | SSD: Crucial m4 256gb
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600 | Res: 1920x1080 @ 120hz | Monitor: Samsung S23A750D

Champion of Telara

I was able to get good performance during Beta on my Asus G73JH Laptop.....w/ .Radeon Mobility 5870.

Pretty much picked ultra then turned off shadows and ground clutter and had sufficient DPS......40-45FPS for most cases....sometimes dipping to 25-30FPS during major rifts. But even at 20FPS Rift seems smooth enough to me.

Worse FPS for me was while in Meridian where things would get choppy but not really a big deal.

Just bought a new laptop last night that Rift will be able to be played on Normally I'd play on my PC, but int he near future I will be having to spend more time vegetating on the couch, so I needed a laptop for it :P Must have my Rift time!

Your system should play on ultra at around 30fps.
    I use a small alienware mx11 with a i5. I play on high with around 30-40fps so you should be fine considering your setup is better.

A little advice, get a cooling pad.

thanks for the responses guys,

all great news and i was listening to the "dev round table talk" from the podcast group and they said Rift already supports crossfirex so my 2 HD5870's should help things a little.

should run a bit smoother out of Beta as well, so us laptop gamers can still enjoy it,

look forward to seeing some of you all in game

Default Laptop

I haven't played yet but I'm guessing it's going to push my current system.

HP dv7-3085dx

Intel Core i7 Quad @ 1.6
    6 GB Ram
    Nvidia GT230M
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Hooked up to a 24" Dell external flat running at 1920x1600.

Anyone have similar? Any frame rate issues that would drop me below 30 or should I look at getting a new rig?

This is what I'm using

who plans on playing Rift on thier Laptop?-img_0251.jpg

On high settings I get 20-30 fps, lower in rifts 15-25.
    On medium setting I get anywhere from 30-40, sometimes higher and again lower during rifts.
    On low settings I get 60 fps.

If I turn on low quality renderer I get 50-60 fps on high settings.

Hope this helps!

HP HDX16T-1200
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    4GB RAM
    nVidia GT130M w/ 1GB dedicated video memory @ 1920x1080
    Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit (Service Pack 1)

Had my video settings set to high and turned off shadows and anti-aliasing. The game ran/looked fine to me during beta. I never checked my FPS because if I can run around without slowdown and all motion looks fluid to me, I don't care what the FPS is.
    Last edited by MacPhisto; 02-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Soulwalker

I've got the M17x here myself, though with only a single card rather than the crossfire.
    I've been using this machine through all of the beta events. Performance has been great from everything I can see.

Soulwalker

I play strictly on a laptop. I actually sold my desktop when I bought it.

Currently playing on a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q886. I havent had any problems running the game on high at 30-40 fps

I have an alienware laptop, so it's like a PC.

Soulwalker

I was playing beta on an older laptop (ATI X1600, 2.33 dual core and 3G ram). Using the low end renderer I was seeing 30 FPS most of the time with a short drop to ~10FPS if a lot of effects were going off. As long as you don't plan on the high end settings then you should do better then that without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldneil View Post
    I haven't played yet but I'm guessing it's going to push my current system.

HP dv7-3085dx

Intel Core i7 Quad @ 1.6
    6 GB Ram
    Nvidia GT230M
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Hooked up to a 24" Dell external flat running at 1920x1600.

Anyone have similar? Any frame rate issues that would drop me below 30?
    I'm assuming you mean 1920x1200 and you would def need to use the low quality render option if the GT230M could push that rez at all

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast