+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any OC'ers out there....

Default Any OC'ers out there....

Looking for an OC'er that wouldn't mind helping me OC my machine and get the most our of it I can. I have been fooling with it the last few days but when think there is more I can obtain.

Shadowlander

Motherboard? CPU? What Cooling Sytem do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyphnx View Post
    Motherboard? CPU? What Cooling Sytem do you have?
    Asus P6TD Deluxe with Intel i7 920
    Apevia 800 watt power supply
    A-DATA gaming series 12GB DDR3 1600

XIGMATEK DARK KNIGHT 120MM cooling system
    Last edited by Stalmard; 02-22-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: updated Cooling System

Shadowlander

I'm not familiar with Intel. I'm sorry. However, you're basically going to go into your BIOS and change voltages. Your motherboard should be able to tell you what's safe and what isn't.

Shadowlander

Theres many i7 920 o guides out there. I suggest you to get 1 or 2 guides and start from there.Asus MBs bios is simply to understand.Go slowly, dont overvoltage like crazy, and you should be fine.
    A 920 can OC a lot, my 930 is @4200 at air, daily use.

Soulwalker

Get a new computer, overclocking shortens the life duration of parts regardless. If you have to overclock a computer, than it's crap and needs to be replaced.
    My RIG; 8-Core Processor ( Intel Xeon X7560 ), RAM ( 16GDDR3 2400Mhz ), Video Cards ( GeForce GTX 580 ) x 3, Power Supplies ( RocketFish 1000W) x 2, Hard Drives ( Solid State 320GB ) x 6, Sound System ( 9.1 3000W Surround Sound ), Monitors + Adaptor MBoard ( 42 Inch Samsung LCDTV ) x 6, Case [ Alienware Hive / cross thermal take adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudStrife View Post
    Get a new computer, overclocking shortens the life duration of parts regardless. If you have to overclock a computer, than it's crap and needs to be replaced.
    You might as well get a new computer... turning it on shortens the life too! If you don't have anything positive to add, please refrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Akihabara View Post
    Theres many i7 920 o guides out there. I suggest you to get 1 or 2 guides and start from there.Asus MBs bios is simply to understand.Go slowly, dont overvoltage like crazy, and you should be fine.
    A 920 can OC a lot, my 930 is @4200 at air, daily use.

I have managed to OC it to 3.8 but I do not understand how to test it for stability. I have heard some use Prime95 but that seems a bit overkill as the likelihood of ever pushing all 8 cores 100% doesn't seem likely. Any other programs I should be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalmard View Post
    I have managed to OC it to 3.8 but I do not understand how to test it for stability. I have heard some use Prime95 but that seems a bit overkill as the likelihood of ever pushing all 8 cores 100% doesn't seem likely. Any other programs I should be looking at?

The main purpose of Prime95 is not to see if your current O/C can handle all cores at 100%. The torture test will def max your cores out but it is running algorithms and testing the cpu subsystem for errors. If you can get Prime95 to run for 24 hours stable and no errors you can pretty much bet your good to go with your current O/C settings.

If you can keep it cool and stable, does it really shorten the lifespan? I have ran my computers for years overclocked and had no problems. Anyhow, Rift doesnt seem to tax my I7 870 at standard clock speeds so I dont think the game would benefit. I have overclocked my gtx460 video cards and gained about 15-20 fps on ultra settings.

Your just mad your 8 core processor is only 2.6ghz where my 8 logical core processor is about twice as fast.

Raw ghz > cores for gaming. Also posting specs like that with trolling statements like that without a validator is just asking to be ignored completely. The fact you mentioned alienware in your sig shows you really don't know much about computers. (Grats on your DELL bro!)

At OP: OCing my sandy bridge is just a matter of increasing the multiplier in the bios, then adjusting the vcore / PLL until it is stable. I don't go above 1.36 vcore - which is the voltage the 2600k was designed to handle safely without any degradation and I can get to 4.8ghz.

Intel burn test can do the exact same thing in 10 minutes that 24 hours of prime95 does. It will also get your temps up about 8-10c higher than prime95.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

I will be ordering an Asus GTX 570 this Friday. Any tips on OC'ing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalmard View Post
    I will be ordering an Asus GTX 570 this Friday. Any tips on OC'ing it?
    GPU overclocking is easily and safely done through software like MSI afterburner.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Telaran

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...920-930-a.html

I recommend this guide, Its well written and I've personally used it multiple times.

Shadowlander

Get afterburner and furmark. Launch afterburner and add 10mhz each test. Check the temps, try to never exceed 80/85C. Check if you see graphical artifact and instability while running furmark. If not, give it another 10mhz. Rinse and repeat, when younstart having problem (artifact,instability) give the card more voltage ( in afterburner ). The goal is to keep the card stable and not too hot. As exmple im running my 460s hawk SLI @ 850mhz whit a little overvoltge, temps are always under 55/60C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast