+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 570 gtx or 580 gtx

Rift Disciple

Default 570 gtx or 580 gtx

ok atm i have a system which is about to be bought with a 570 gtx but i can downgrade my case from an azza hurricane to a azza solano and not get a ssd 50gb and get a 580 gtx instead of a 570 gtx. my question is it worth it?

I can always get a ssd later but gettin a 500 dollar card my not happen so thanks

Shadowlander

If you are not planning to add another 570 for SLI in the future, go for the 580. I personally opted for 2x MSI 570 twin froz/OC. They OC like crazy and can bench to nearly a normal 580 (whit 2/3 of the power consuption), and whit a SLI like that i can overkill most of the heavy games for the next 2 years.

If you are planning to get a 580, i suggest a MSI twin frozr or a gigabyte SOC, dissipation is the first thingnwhen it comes to hot hardware like those cards.

Telaran

My opinion for what its worth:

Go with the GTX570.
    Reason: It will be able to run any game out just fine as a single card setup. by the time it starts showing its age, both camps, AMD & Nvidia, will have newer and better out equalling the performance of SLI/Crossfire configurations.
    I do not think the 580 offers enough performance increase (as a single card setup) to justify the price differnce, considering how fast PC components mature.
    I also prefer single card setups, as they are far less prone to small hiccups and issues you will run into with Crossfire/SLI setups from time to time.

Just my opinion.

Also, with the 570 you say you can get a SSD.
    A SSD is the single most beneficial upgrade you can do. It is a huge performance increase.

But, be aware. It will do nothing for game performance. Aside from loading a bit faster. Once the game is loaded, it runs from memory, and is typically GPU bound. So the SSd will not help at all here.

However, using it for the OS and applications makes a HUGE difference. Everything is considerably faster, and more responsive.
    I would use a large Spinning drive to store Music,Videos,Pictures and all other DATA on.
    Also, install most games to a spinner as well.
    You will still reap the benefits of the SSD.

For these reasons, I would opt for the 570 and a SSD for the OS/apps. You will get better overall system performance.

Alternatively, if you can fit a smaller Sppinner or external into budget as a backup only drive, this would be a good idea.
    Use Acronis or Macrium Reflect to make frequent Images of the SSD.
    Set up like this, if you ever have a issue, all your data is safe, and the Windows SSD can be erased & rolled back to a safe time preserving everything, even activation status.

As far as brand, I would go with EVGA for an Nvidia card.
    This way, you have a upgrade path if you change your mind and want to trade for a 580 later. (within 90 days I think, someone confirm please)
    Just trade in your 570 and pay the difference for the 580.
    Also, EVGA has a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by ArchEnemy; 02-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Default gtx570 vs gtx580

to be honest i got myself a brand new gtx570 few days ago and i really got myself digging in all those benchmarking stuff before i invested my cash...

i can tell you price difference between gtx570 and gtx580 is really huge if you consider that both pcb's offer you almost the same amount of memory and bus width (i am not even talking about they are the
    exact same technology) it is only slight difference between two gpus.

i am using the gtx570 and its been really good so far...
    fps is 59 almost all the time (@Rift events it usually drops untill around 30fps probably dependant on the number of people around but in beta servers there were more than enough people around so i think its pretty intact) ofcourse my visual settings are maximized + supersampling + shadows + vsync (not just stupid default ultra settings which aint even closer to ultra)

so i vote for 570 if u consider price... but ofcourse if u dont mind spending more it is obvious gtx580 is slightly better.
    good luck.

btw im running
    i7 860 2.8g / 8gb ram 1333Mhz 2g x4 dual channel / gtx570 1280mb 320bits / 1tb 7200rpm sata3 64mb cache hdd
    just to give u an idea...
    >>> NightRaven <<<
    + CPU: Intel i7 860 @2.8 Ghz Lynnfield | | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    + RAM: 8gb DDR3 @1333 Mhz (2g x4 dual-channel) | | MotherBoard: Gigabyte H57M-USB3
    + GPU: MSI GeForce GTX570 1280 MB 320 bit GDDR5 | | Power: CoolerMaster Centurion 650W
    + HDD: 1.25 TB 7200rpm 64mb SataII | | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 19"W LCD 1440*900

Telaran

NightRaven, if you do not mind, what resolution do you run at?

580 now, add a 590 later for tri 580 SLI action on two PCIE slots.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchEnemy View Post
    NightRaven, if you do not mind, what resolution do you run at?
    1440*900 wide on Samsung 19" lcd monitor

edit: well thats the max resolution that my screen supports heh
    Last edited by n1ghtr4v3n; 02-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    >>> NightRaven <<<
    + RAM: 8gb DDR3 @1333 Mhz (2g x4 dual-channel) | | MotherBoard: Gigabyte H57M-USB3
    + GPU: MSI GeForce GTX570 1280 MB 320 bit GDDR5 | | Power: CoolerMaster Centurion 650W
    + HDD: 1.25 TB 7200rpm 64mb SataII | | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 19"W LCD 1440*900

Shield of Telara

I would take the 570 and the SSD.

That 570 is going to dominate Rift, and the SSD is going to make your PC better as a whole system. The SSD may not benefit you much in gaming, but it will make everything else so much better.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post
    I would take the 570 and the SSD.

That 570 is going to dominate Rift, and the SSD is going to make your PC better as a whole system. The SSD may not benefit you much in gaming, but it will make everything else so much better.
    /agreed
    SSD's are freaking awesome... it effects almost everything
    >>> NightRaven <<<

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    580 now, add a 590 later for tri 580 SLI action on two PCIE slots.
    but dont forget the liquid nitrogen dissipation!

Quote Originally Posted by n1ghtr4v3n View Post
    1440*900 wide on Samsung 19" lcd monitor

edit: well thats the max resolution that my screen supports heh
    At this resolution even a GTX560 would run everything maxed out. It;s a smart choise to buy lower resolution screen if dont mind a 19" size screen.

I picked up the GTX 580 and its a monster. I went from two GTX 275's in SLI. I had them O/C'ed pretty high and at 1920x1200 on ultra I was getting pretty low fps. Averaging in the 30's with some pretty large drops....Anyway I get a min of 48fps now from what I have played so far and that was in the middle of town with a ton of people and in a Major Rift with a ton of people. I also was able to O/C the heck out of the 580.. Got the core clock up to 900Mhz Stable and tested with MSI Afterburner and Furmark. I am currently running the core clock at 850Mhz.

New egg has free shipping on a few of the 580's for $499

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynar View Post
    At this resolution even a GTX560 would run everything maxed out. It;s a smart choise to buy lower resolution screen if dont mind a 19" size screen.
    well i really dont like huge screens actually it makes me tired to follow everything on the screen 19-21" are just perfect to me... but thats my opinion anyways...

and well yeah... i didnt try the gtx570 on a 1080p resolution anyways... but doesnt really matter i wont bury more than 500EUR on a gpu lol at least thats the price in my country.. i paid almost half of it to gtx570 and i really dont think there will be too much difference between those since they come from the same chipset family...

that was the point.
    >>> NightRaven <<<

Quote Originally Posted by n1ghtr4v3n View Post
    well i really dont like huge screens actually it makes me tired to follow everything on the screen 19-21" are just perfect to me... but thats my opinion anyways...

and well yeah... i didnt try the gtx570 on a 1080p resolution anyways... but doesnt really matter i wont bury more than 500EUR on a gpu lol at least thats the price in my country.. i paid almost half of it to gtx570 and i really dont think there will be too much difference between those since they come from the same chipset family...

that was the point.
    Right off the bat the GTX 580 has 512 stream processors vs 480 on the GTX 570.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/21

"Comparing it to its bigger brother we noticed that on average you'll spot a 20% performance differential in-between the GTX 570 and GTX 580."

Thats a pretty significant difference.

560 TI for $250

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast