+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nostromo

Soulwalker

Default Nostromo

Is anyone using a nostromo to play Rift? I have one lying around that I've never used and wonder if it would be useful here. As I said, though, I've never used it so don't really know how to set it up or anything, so maybe it wouldn't be useful for me!

I use a n52 te for any MMO, and once I got used to it, I found a keyboard to be intolerable to play on.

I'd recommend having a mouse with thumb buttons to compliment it, at least two. Bind them to shift and ctrl. (Preferably a Naga, the combo is amazing!)

Now the next binds depends on whether or not you can handle moving with the thumb pad. If you learn to love it like I do, bind the keys 1-10, 11 as space for jumping, and the other three to [ ] \

If you can't hang with moving with the thumb pad, you can bind movement keys to where the arrows are, and use the thumb pad for targeting, trinkets, pots, or oh sh!t abilities.

As for the buttons above and below the thumb pad, I never liked the lower one, as it sometimes doesn't work unless you learn to hit it just right, so I don't use it. The circular one above it I bind to alt.

You can also use the program it came with to make macros similar to a Logitech g-15.

Just remember that it'll take some experimenting and patience to adapt to it and configure it the way you want.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    http://forumwatch.riftideas.com/ *Credit to Meritt*
    Ever heard of Mumble? It's like Vent & Skype had a kid!

G13 here, I have the n50 and the original n52 which I used for years and years up until last year. I'm happy with the G13, I get more buttons! But the n52 is awesome as well.

As a carry over from using the n52 for a long time, I actually use my G13 in the same way, I set the joystick up as forward, reverse and right/left strafe, I choose my direction via my mouse.

i'm not able to play without one anymore. When i play at a friend, i take the n52te with me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cures View Post
    i'm not able to play without one anymore. When i play at a friend, i take the n52te with me :P
    Haha, I know that feeling all too well. It's kind of a pain, because I can't play my friend's character effectively and vice versa. =]
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

I use a n52te as well, and have a hell of time getting settled, but using this currently:

d-pad = WASD
    top button = vent
    bottom button = space bar
    8, 12, 13, 14 = WASD
    7, 9 = strafe
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 = hotbars x 3 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
    11 = TAB
    scroll wheel down = numlock

And two mouse buttons for cont & alt so I have 21 hotbar buttons.

N52te user here...I got mine last year and havnt been able to use my keyboard since. I still use the keyboard for chat but thats about it. I also use an Engage mouse with 6 buttons on it. The two at the thumb are used for targeting and jumping (it just works for me).

Soulwalker

Default Nostromo N52

I just bought a new PC. On my old PC the Nostromo n52 worked great and was able to play WoW and Eve without any issues from the N52. That PC was Win XP based. This new PC is win 7 and I cant seem to get a decent loadout to stick with the N52. I have tried all the same things in creating and binding the loadouts and profiles, but the keybinding isnt carrying over to the game. ANy ideas?

Meggiekins
    Nyx (Guardian)

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dunmpoiuy View Post
    I just bought a new PC. On my old PC the Nostromo n52 worked great and was able to play WoW and Eve without any issues from the N52. That PC was Win XP based. This new PC is win 7 and I cant seem to get a decent loadout to stick with the N52. I have tried all the same things in creating and binding the loadouts and profiles, but the keybinding isnt carrying over to the game. ANy ideas?

Meggiekins
    Nyx (Guardian)
    I don't know about the original N52(whether it uses on-board processing), I know this applies to the N52te.

Have you tried testing the keybinds using notepad or something similar? If the controller isn't "properly" connected, it will not provide any errors, will function, but also will not properly save profiles to the on-board memory.

I originally had mine hooked into my keyboard's USB port, which would allow it to function, but it could not write to the controller itself.
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Soulwalker

I dont know about testing keybinds with notepad. I just tried to save profiles and create a loadout but when I play the game, some of the buttons dont perform their respective function.

Soulwalker

If you talking about using notepad just to see if what I expect to happen when I hit certain keys, then no I havent done that yet. I was thinking that there was alot more to your post than it actually was lol..

Soulwalker

Ok i tried to change around profiles and see if that does anyting on notepad and nothing changed, the same basic default profile stays in effect

Champion of Telara

Ok i tried to change around profiles and see if that does anyting on notepad and nothing changed, the same basic default profile stays in effect
    Are you connecting directly to a motherboard USB connection/header? I had issues using a hub-type port(keyboard). Likely due to not enough power being delivered or insufficient bandwidth. The controller would function, but not apply any new profiles to the controller.

Just to cover everything. You're clicking "apply", correct? Does the loading bar display?

(note: I have the "te" edition which is slightly different, so there could be software differences, I haven't looked into it)
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-21-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Soulwalker

I am connecting directly to a motherboard port. There is no "apply" button as it were. I have a profile saved with my key bindings attached to it, but I acnt seem to get the profile to load.

I am connecting directly to a motherboard port. There is no "apply" button as it were. I have a profile saved with my key bindings attached to it, but I acnt seem to get the profile to load.
    Did you check for an update?

Also, try making your layout the default. Load it after you're done and see if that works. Also try different USB ports.

I had a quirk/conflict between my n52te and my naga where using my modifiers and dpad caused me to get stuck turning right. Alt tab stopped it, and I fixed it by turning off my backwards key (which I needed to get used to anyway).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast