+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macro Modifiers, and binding secondaries with modifiers.

Default Macro Modifiers, and binding secondaries with modifiers.

First I want to say how impressed I was with Rift's UI, and I liked the fact that your in game macro builder was able to help me learn your macro system so easily. Within 5 minutes I had built a number of macro's to use all of the abilities I wanted on my mouse with the simple addition of either a CTRL or SHIFT key.

Here is where things got a little odd. If I had a spell set-up to cast with a shift modifier, sometimes it did not seem to register. I don't know if there was an input lag, but I found myself having to try more than once to get an attack that utilized the shift modifier to work as intended. Also I was slightly disappointed that I could not make the tooltip picture change with the modifier as well, but that is hardly game breaking.

I wanted to see if this was a matter of the macro system or something unrelated so I made a second bar visible above my primary action bar, and bound several icons there to be a Shift + mouse 3, type command. I noticed the same thing again. It would sometimes take a couple tries to trigger the desired action. Instead the action bound to mouse 3 would occur more often than not.

More testing indicated the best chance of success came with hitting shift directly before hitting the mouse button. In other words I couldn't just be holding the shift key down before finishing the previous action. This happened regardless of whether I was using the macro or the second action bar.

If this is working as intended can you give me any advice to possibly make the macro more efficient?

Basic example of what I was working with is as follows.

#show Cadence
    cast [shift] Coda of Fury
    cast Cadence

It worked, just not as smoothly as I would wish.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to share.
    Last edited by Jhonen; 02-22-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Grammars are hard!

Their input system just needs a lot of polish yet, really nothing you can do as an end user at this point.

Macro System Needs:

1) The macro system really, really needs to prevent fallthrough macros that will allow people to greatly simplify their rotations.
    Example:
    #show CooldownCast
    /cast CooldownCast
    /cast NonCooldownCast

-- Hitting this button will cast CooldownCast if it's off of CD, otherwise will cast NonCooldownCast. The user no longer has to watch the cooldown of CooldownCast. (very simple example, with certain souls you can really do some abusive things with fallthrough macros)

2) The macro system really needs an improved #show: example
    #show
    /cast [shift] Ability
    /cast AbilityB

-- This should show AbilityB when shift is not held, but automatically show Ability when shift is held.

3) The macro system really needs to improve it's mouseover support BEFORE it removes fallthroughts. The one legitimate use of fallthrough macros at the moment is

#show HealOrBuff
    cast @mouseover HealOrBuff
    cast HealOrBuff

-- Having your mouse over a unit frame will click-cast onto that target. Having your mouse NOT over a unit frame (or 3D world unit) will cast the spell normally (allowing you to then click a target, or if you have auto-self-cast on cast on yourself). This is not abusive, as the user is still making the decision. The fear here is that by fixing the fallthrough before improving the mouseover system you'll break macros such as this (the non @mouseover will never be called). Please improve this first.

4) This is really a tie-in with 3: The macro system needs to be able to explicitly account for non-modified input.

#show
    cast [shift] AbilityA
    cast AbilityB

If you are holding shift, this will cast AbilityA and attempt to cast AbilityB (which will fail, since you are on GCD or are in the middle of casting). Now, fixing #1 will not break this - since it does not rely on the fallthrough, the fallthrough is the *problem* here. I suggest the following syntax

A
    #show
    cast [shift] AbilityA; AbilityB

B
    #show
    cast [shift] AbilityA
    cast [nomod] AbilityB

Which brings me to point...

5) The macro system really needs to support command breaks. Personally, I'm a fan of the ';' system as it allows for very clean and compact macros. How it works is this...

#show
    cast [shift] @mouseover AbilityA; [shift] AbilityA; AbilityB

This macro translates into three hierarchical commands
    cast [shift] @mouseover AbilityA
    cast [shift] AbilityA
    cast AbilityB

How it works is this. The macro system first evaluates
    [shift] @mouseover
    If shift is held, and you have a mouseover target - it attempts to cast AbilityA and breaks (whether AbilityA casts or not)

If [shift] @mouseover does not evaluate, it moves on to
    [shift] - same behavior. If this does not evaluate it moves on to
    "" - nothing in the last one in this example, so it will always evaluate true

Although I would love to see more polish and functionality added to the macro system, I would more then anything else like to see the execution cleaned up. I use macros primarily to play more efficiently and to minimize my UI. Less crap on the screen means I can focus more on the game.

As an alternative you can get a gaming keyboard and take the time to program your macro keys. Just a thought.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    As an alternative you can get a gaming keyboard and take the time to program your macro keys. Just a thought.
    Except it'll never be as robust as a quality in-game macro system. Your keyboard has no concept of @mouseover or @friend or @harm

Gaming keyboards are great for circumventing game mechanics (such as one-keypress=one-GCD-action) - that's about it, and that is cheating-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    For the amount of macroing I do this would work somewhat, but I love when with one hit of a shift or control key not only do the abilities change, but the display and tooltip changes as well allowing you to still see all of your skills while having a minimum amount of space taken by the Action bars etc. Rift has great graphics, and I like being able to enjoy them.

Nevertheless I suppose a keyboard is something to consider. Not this month though, cause I bought a new game. XD

+ Reply to Thread