+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a Gaming RIG and would like input

Soulwalker

Default Building a Gaming RIG and would like input

Ok, so next wekend, 3/5/11, I will be building my and my wife's gaming RIGs. We both have been playing MMOs since the first MUDs came out. With each passing year the technology gets more powerful and PCs seem to only have a shelf life of 3 - 5 years before you need to do a massive rebuild. So, with teh launch of Cataclysm (my wife plays WOW) and Rift (I play Rift) we wanted a rig that would allow ultra quality and high FPS. So, here is what I am intending to build. Please let me know if there is somethign I missed or if there is something that would work better. Remember, these systems are being built in the hopes of also surpassing the typical 3 - 5 year rebuild mark. I am looking for 10 years tops with only a need to swap GPU and/or CPU.

Intel i7 Quad Core 3.3GHz CPU
    MB (Can't remember name/brand) Max CPU (6 Cores) Max RAM 24GB and Supports both SLI and Crossfire X (capable of having up to 3 cards in SLI or Crossfire mode)
    24GB DDR3-1333 Corsair RAM
    2 1024MB GeForce GTS450 (In SLI Mode)
    650 Watt Power Supply with 34amps on +12V Rail
    40GB SSD (Solid State Drive) (Sata 6.0/GB) for my OS and Office/Business applications
    1TB 10,000 RPM Western Digital HHD (Sata 6.0/GB) for my games, music, movies, etc.
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    Wireless - N Network with max throughput to router of 10GB/Second

So, any suggestions on what could improve this for RIFT or ensure it has a shelf life of 5 - 10 years.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Well i haven't been following gaming rigs closely for about 3 years now, altho i can tell youfor sure that 24gb ram is an overkill.... and motherboard is the most important component in the rig make sure you know what you are buying.. get something that overclocks easily. I liked asus striker series but not sure how they are now days.
    forget 450 sli get one good card.

also get razer naga mosue and one of the G series Logitech gaming keyboards.
    Not sure about gamingg on wireless either... but its your call.
    Last edited by Blays; 02-22-2011 at 07:05 AM.

The MB looks good. Mine has those specs and I love it.

3 things.

1. The PSU may not be large enough or really close. Look for a PSU with a single 12v rail that will supply at least 80a minimum. Most 1200w supplies meet this. 34a might not be enough for two cards. Also make sure the PSU is SLI Certified. For a machine you expect to last 10 years, I'd go a little larger on the PSU.

I found a review of the GTS450 video card and saw this:

"Adding a second GeForce GTS 450 graphics card saw the system power consumption level increase by 33% to 324 watts."

You didnt specify the PSU brand and specific model so I couldn't check what it's 12v could supply at load. Your two cards would be pulling close to 30a at full load (rift will use both GPUs to 100%). It looks like you are right on the edge.

2. The SSD drive(s) are not nearly large enough. I use 2 120Gb SSDs in a stripe and don't think that is large enough. I may add two more to what I have.

3. Memory speed should be as high as you can get it (afford). I would look at 1600Mhz as a minimum. Your MB will likely support up to 2400Mhz. 24Gb is overkill. I have 12Gb and it's probably overkill.

And like the post above, I'd skip getting two 450s and get one better card.
    Last edited by Drowsey; 02-22-2011 at 07:12 AM.

24gb of ram is not needed just get 12 gb and thats plenty , the money you save get 2 x gtx 460 , s instead

Get a good 800w + p supply branded i.e corsair,coolermaster,Ocz , etc

Me personally i would get a bigger SSD and put rift on it aswell then you have a monster Gaming rig

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1972 View Post
    Ok, so next wekend, 3/5/11, I will be building my and my wife's gaming RIGs. We both have been playing MMOs since the first MUDs came out. With each passing year the technology gets more powerful and PCs seem to only have a shelf life of 3 - 5 years before you need to do a massive rebuild. So, with teh launch of Cataclysm (my wife plays WOW) and Rift (I play Rift) we wanted a rig that would allow ultra quality and high FPS. So, here is what I am intending to build. Please let me know if there is somethign I missed or if there is something that would work better. Remember, these systems are being built in the hopes of also surpassing the typical 3 - 5 year rebuild mark. I am looking for 10 years tops with only a need to swap GPU and/or CPU.

MB (Can't remember name/brand) Max CPU (6 Cores) Max RAM 24GB and Supports both SLI and Crossfire X (capable of having up to 3 cards in SLI or Crossfire mode)
    40GB SSD (Solid State Drive) (Sata 6.0/GB) for my OS and Office/Business applications
    1TB 10,000 RPM Western Digital HHD (Sata 6.0/GB) for my games, music, movies, etc.

So, any suggestions on what could improve this for RIFT or ensure it has a shelf life of 5 - 10 years.

What I7? Sandy Bridge or the outdated one?

24 gigs of ram (most the game can even use is 2gb) and two crappy outdated GPUs - This is your biggest mistake. Drop about 16-20gigs of ram and get better GPUs.

650watts PSU is mighty small for an SLI rig.

Never understook wireless keyboards and mice for a desktop computer. Are you playing it from across the room, or do you just like wasting money on batteries? Judging by your 24gigs of ram i'm assuming the latter.

Also: For your wifes computer if she only plays WoW - there are cell phones capable of running WoW on high settings, you don't need to spend more than 600 bucks on a computer to run that relic on ultra.

This is what my rig does to WoW: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4/3dd00b7e.jpg
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Instead of just spouting off random things to you and saying get this or that I will try to backup my suggestions.

If you have a fairly solid graphics chip already like a gtx 260 or better all you need is the fastest cpu you can get your hands on for wow.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-6.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-5.html

Rift is a bit more gpu demanding if you want to run with higher quality visuals. In all honestly I am using a gtx 580 and the frames still get a bit lower than I would like. So if you plan on using Ultra settings I would say a gtx 570 would be in your future. A gtx 460 would prolly be solid as well, it's just if you are looking to buy now and if you have the cash get the fastest one you can afford.

I have nothing to backup fps in rift I just know it is much more gpu demanding than Wow ever could be. You could go with a slightly slower cpu in Rift with a faster gpu and still get better performance than using the fastest cpu with a middle of the road gpu. Hope that made sence.

Using something like a GTX 570 or equivalent I would look into a quality PSU as well. 610w to 750w "PC Power and Cooling" PSU's are very solid and are of extreme quality. Other good names to look at would be corsair and seasonic. If you want to sli or xfire at some point you would most likely be looking at PSU's in the 900w or higher range in all honesty.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/...910_psu_review

I will probably catch some flac about this but I would say save your money on the ssd. Just get a nice fast WD raptor or one of the 64mb cache drives from WD. Sure the SSD's will make loading times a touch faster but other than that there is no real benefit in gaming.
    I am still on the fence with ssd's waiting for them to become a bit more standard in the sence of longevity and probably a bit more of a tried and true technology. But that's just me.
    http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...ybrid-ssd.html

Razor Naga mice are very nice as well for mmo's. I honestly don't know what I would do without it now that I have used it for a bit. I believe keyboards are a bit more of a personal taste if you would like them or not. I am not super fond of the logitech keyboards. I am currently using the Razer blackwidow wich is a mechanical keyboard. It's just my preference and I think everyone has a specific like or dislike with keyboards so if you can try them out at a store. If you can't imo it is a gamble if you would like it or not.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/gaming-m...view-1472.html
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Keyboard...view-1594.html

Hope some of this info helps.
    2600k@4.4ghz | 8gig ram | GTX 580 | 750w PCPower&C | 750gig hdd | Biostar TP67XE | Titanium X-FI | Fedora 14 and Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by MNKyDeth View Post
    Instead of just spouting off random things to you and saying get this or that I will try to backup my suggestions.

If you have a fairly solid graphics chip already like a gtx 260 or better all you need is the fastest cpu you can get your hands on for wow.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-6.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-5.html

Rift is a bit more gpu demanding if you want to run with higher quality visuals. In all honestly I am using a gtx 580 and the frames still get a bit lower than I would like. So if you plan on using Ultra settings I would say a gtx 570 would be in your future. A gtx 460 would prolly be solid as well, it's just if you are looking to buy now and if you have the cash get the fastest one you can afford.

I have nothing to backup fps in rift I just know it is much more gpu demanding than Wow ever could be. You could go with a slightly slower cpu in Rift with a faster gpu and still get better performance than using the fastest cpu with a middle of the road gpu. Hope that made sence.

Using something like a GTX 570 or equivalent I would look into a quality PSU as well. 610w to 750w "PC Power and Cooling" PSU's are very solid and are of extreme quality. Other good names to look at would be corsair and seasonic. If you want to sli or xfire at some point you would most likely be looking at PSU's in the 900w or higher range in all honesty.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/...910_psu_review

I will probably catch some flac about this but I would say save your money on the ssd. Just get a nice fast WD raptor or one of the 64mb cache drives from WD. Sure the SSD's will make loading times a touch faster but other than that there is no real benefit in gaming.
    I am still on the fence with ssd's waiting for them to become a bit more standard in the sence of longevity and probably a bit more of a tried and true technology. But that's just me.
    http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...ybrid-ssd.html

Razor Naga mice are very nice as well for mmo's. I honestly don't know what I would do without it now that I have used it for a bit. I believe keyboards are a bit more of a personal taste if you would like them or not. I am not super fond of the logitech keyboards. I am currently using the Razer blackwidow wich is a mechanical keyboard. It's just my preference and I think everyone has a specific like or dislike with keyboards so if you can try them out at a store. If you can't imo it is a gamble if you would like it or not.

I just wanted to say:

Hi you have almost the exact same system I do.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by MNKyDeth View Post

Whaa sweet looking keyboard, i kinda gave up on Razer keyboards ever since they started making those low profile (laptop like) keys. But it looks like they understood that was a mistake.

Grabbing one right now, i hope it comes in before Thursday

Soulwalker

CPU

The motherboard is pretty important actually. I'd probably go with an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI. You didn't say whether you were planning on going with Sandy Bridge or not. If so, you might want to wait a bit...

Memory

You almost definitely won't need more than 12 GB as was pointed out. Certainly not 24 GB. By the time games actually use that much memory, you'll need a whole new system anyway.

Hard Drive

SSDs are good, but I wouldn't get a 40GB one. Either go for a bigger one (probably > 100GB) or just don't worry about SSD for now. If you get a 40GB one you're going to regret not having more space on it.

Video Card

SLI is good, but it's not worth it with those particular cards at this point in time. I'd just get a GTX 560 or 570. You can still go SLI later if you like.

Power Supply

I probably wouldn't go with anything less than a good brand name 800 watt psu if you plan to ever go SLI. I'd recommend Corsair but there are other good options.

Comments

As someone else pointed out, if all you play is MMOs, you're probably building something that's going to be pretty overkill. Rift is fairly demanding on the highest settings it seems, but I haven't seen many other MMOs that require that much yet. You might be able to save a lot of money by building something less powerful. The upside is that you could use the money you saved to build another machine in the next couple of years that would easily outperform what you're looking at now...

Soulwalker

The biggest problem I see with this build is the SLI GTS 450. I would personally look at the evga gtx 560 ti card. its running around $250.00 and is getting 33% better performance results over the Gtx 460 (stock card). Also with this card you will not end up with a bottle neck in your mobo's north bridge.

The other thing to make sure of is that your ram is TRIPLE CHANNEL ram. I7 cores require triple channel. with that you may want to also think of going to DDR3 1600 to lessen any bottle necking in the FSB system of your motherboard(that is if the mother board you are looking at can take 1600 ram)

just a couple of motherboards that I am looking at for my upcoming upgrade this week are these which will all do the job for years to come.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131390
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131642
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121470
    MSi has a few boards that are nice as well.

Also note on the RAM issue that while 24 gigs is nice you are still limited by your OS. even a 64-bit OS is limited when having to run programs in 32bit mode.

Also look at what your PSU is capable of doing. If going with the type of rig your talking about may want to think of a 750w or 850w PSU for a couple years down the road when the PSU doesn't supply the same amount of constant power as it did when it was new.

Just my thoughts I hope they help you.
    Last edited by Doodlete; 02-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Champion

Um..you don't need 24gb of ram for gaming. all you need is 4gb.rift as well as all games currently are a 32bit program and only adress 2gb of ram. With that being said 64bit windows is standard now, and in the near future we will see 64 bit games. I7's memory controller is tripple channel, I would get a kit of 3x2gb and call it a day.
    and I would get ONE good video card such as the AMD6870 or a GTX570 /580. The gts450 is not a good card for a high end build.
    As far as the power supply, think seasonic /corsair /antec. do NOT cheap out on that ;)
    Last edited by malum78; 02-22-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Telaran

Heres my 2cents,

there is no such thing is 5-10 years shelf life, if youre going to drop 3 grand on a pc. spend 1500 now and spend 1500 3 years from now. every 6 months new stuff comes out and you might have buyers remorse.

PLUS. youre doing stuff like buying 24gigs of 1333ram, why not 1600+? buy 8or maybe 12gigs of extreme ram IMO, Video card..buy 1 good one then later add a 2nd if you want.

Shield of Telara

If you are really building a PC with an eye on making it last 10 years (not goin to happen by the way) you need to stay away from the 1366 socket if that is what you plan on using. Your best bet is to go with a socket 1155 i5 (probably the i5-2500k) and a mobo with a P67 chipset so you can OC easily.

Forget the SLI 450s and go with a single 560 or 570. In 2-3 years you can either add a second GPU, or upgrade to the newest $300 card on the market. I would recommend always sticking with the best single GPU you can afford.

Intel is notorious for changing sockets with every new CPU generation, so don't expect to have much of an upgrade path even if you go with the 1155 socket. You might get one decent upgrade and could potentially make your PC last around 5-6 years.

Oh, and don't be silly with the 24GB of RAM. That is beyond absurd and the extra money would be better used on things like a CPU cooler, better GPU or a SSD. You will be fine with 4GB, and even 8GB is overkill, but not obscene and useless overkill.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post
    If you are really building a PC with an eye on making it last 10 years (not goin to happen by the way) you need to stay away from the 1366 socket if that is what you plan on using. Your best bet is to go with a socket 1155 i5 (probably the i5-2500k) and a mobo with a P67 chipset so you can OC easily.

Forget the SLI 450s and go with a single 560 or 570. In 2-3 years you can either add a second GPU, or upgrade to the newest $300 card on the market. I would recommend always sticking with the best single GPU you can afford.

Intel is notorious for changing sockets with every new CPU generation, so don't expect to have much of an upgrade path even if you go with the 1155 socket. You might get one decent upgrade and could potentially make your PC last around 5-6 years.

Oh, and don't be silly with the 24GB of RAM. That is beyond absurd and the extra money would be better used on things like a CPU cooler, better GPU or a SSD. You will be fine with 4GB, and even 8GB is overkill, but not obscene and useless overkill.
    correct, though, a builder these days would go for 2x4gb of ram not thinking he's gonna use 8gb, but for DUAL CHANNEL .
    why go 2x2gb when you can go 2x4gb for almost the same price, and be future proof.
    Last edited by malum78; 02-22-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by malum78 View Post
    correct, though, a builder these days would go for 2x4gb of ram not thinking he's gonna use 8gb, but for DUAL CHANNEL .
    why go 2x2gb when you can go 2x4gb for almost the same price, and be future proof.
    Your right with that but do note he is going with an i7 processor, the dual channel is a no no it must be triple channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast