+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade graphics question

Soulwalker

Default Upgrade graphics question

Im looking at getting a new computer to run this ame properly

Im looking at buying 460GTX now and upgrade in to Sli 2x460GTX in a month or so when I have a bit more cash.

With that how much cpu power would I need to run 2x460GTX without experiencing any bottle necks? and whatelse would I need to make sure for this to run smoothly.

On a side note would it be better to go for a 560 Ti instead of the sli?

I know for sure that SLI is over rated... its not gonna help you much in MMOs. Altho i too want to know what is the best card to buy for around $250-300.
    Last edited by Blays; 02-22-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ejhessing View Post
    Im looking at getting a new computer to run this ame properly

Im looking at buying 460GTX now and upgrade in to Sli 2x460GTX in a month or so when I have a bit more cash.

With that how much cpu power would I need to run 2x460GTX without experiencing any bottle necks? and whatelse would I need to make sure for this to run smoothly.

Adding a 2nd card and running in SLI will only give you a 20-30% increase in performance. You could get much better performance by just spending the money you would have spent on 2 cards to buy a better card in the first place. Go with the 500 Series instead of SLI 400's.

SLI really is not a good option unless your already running the best card on the market, then that can put you over the edge. Plus the Power Supply requirements to run the both would most likely cause you to buy a new power supply which would almost equal the price of a Video Card.

SLI is a very good idea if you plan on running duel monitor in any situation.
    Last edited by Void425; 02-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.

I run a PNY GTX-470 and I have everything Maxed so that would be fine the 400 series is good for this MMO .

Custom Gaming PC
    GTX-750 2x Samsung 24" HD Monitors
    AMD Black Quad Core 3.8
    16 Gig's Ram
    Windows 10 64bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ejhessing View Post
    Although I disagree with the other posters about whether SLI is generally worth it or not, I'm not sure it's actually worth it in this case if you are planning on doing it with 460s. If I were you, I would just get the 560 or a 570 if you can afford it. If you still want SLI later on, you can still get it and you'll end up with more headroom from the 500s than the 400s.

What resolution do you plan to run at and what is your current CPU?

Rule of thumb is to buy the best single GPU available now, and add another later when it's needed and cheaper.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-22-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: keep quoting people instead of replying. normal reply is in a stupid spot.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Luitzen View Post
    What resolution do you plan to run at and what is your current CPU?
    1920 X 1080

CPU wise I was looking at going for i5 Gen 2500 3.3 GHz sandy bridge

Default gforce 8800

is this vidoe card ganna suport the game, sorry I dont know much about that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Aryea View Post
    is this vidoe card ganna suport the game, sorry I dont know much about that stuff
    Not likely. If it does run it won't be pretty or comfortable.
    My computer

Default dang

I have a ASUS P7H55-MLX mother board, i5 processor and SPARKLE GEFORCE 8800GTS 512MB GDDR3 DVI is my current video card, is there a vidoe card I can stack with that or one to replace for around $150, I got 650watt power supply. I dont need the best quality, but I would like it go be pretty good.
    Last edited by Aryea; 02-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.

tyvm, I already orded the game to, I ordered the digial down load, I wonder if I can just save the email, with codes and such, and start it when I can get a better vidoe card? any suggestions lol?
    You can get a card capable of running rift at medium to high settings for pretty cheap. I'm in a SC2 match right now and can look up some links later if needed.
    My computer

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Void425 View Post
    Adding a 2nd card and running in SLI will only give you a 20-30% increase in performance. You could get much better performance by just spending the money you would have spent on 2 cards to buy a better card in the first place. Go with the 500 Series instead of SLI 400's.

SLI really is not a good option unless your already running the best card on the market, then that can put you over the edge. Plus the Power Supply requirements to run the both would most likely cause you to buy a new power supply which would almost equal the price of a Video Card.

SLI is a very good idea if you plan on running duel monitor in any situation.
    This is all pretty much completely wrong. NVidia has been scaling around 90% efficiently with SLI for years, and the 6 series AMD cards have been just as good on Crossfire.

Even though everything he stated is incorrect, I agree with his conclusion.

I always recommend going with the best single GPU you can afford. The main reason is that there are always questions about what games support SLI, so if you stick to just one GPU you never have to worry about it.

Go with the 560 if you can afford it. The 460 1GB is a fine card and will play Rift well, but don't buy a lesser card just so you can add a second card later.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Soulwalker

tyvm, I already orded the game to, I ordered the digial down load, I wonder if I can just save the email, with codes and such, and start it when I can get a better vidoe card? any suggestions lol?
    The recommended card is the GTS250, which you can pick up for around 150. I am currently running HD5770, which you can also pick up for around 170ish.

Default tyvm

I am still new to this computer stuff, if I can swing it I think I will try to get the one for 170 I got a 650 watt power supply, should I stack the cards or just replace it?
    Last edited by Aryea; 02-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Rift Disciple

I am still new to this computer stuff, if I can swing it I think I will try to get the one for 170 I got a 650 watt power supply, should I stack the cards or just replace it?
    Your power supply is fine the 580gtx which is the most power nvidia card atm only takes a 600 watt power supply.

Also go to slizone.com which tells you if you actual power supply is good enough for sli or whatever.
    Last edited by Oleagon; 02-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast