+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technical Question

Default Technical Question

Hey Guys. I am not that computer savy and I was wondering which aspect of my computer I need to upgrade. Normally in game, on High, I run around 20 FPS. In a large Rift battle it drops down to around 8 or so FPS. My current Video Card is: Nvidia GeForce GT 240 and my current Processor is: Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66 GHz. I was wondering which of these I need to focus on updating to make my FPS higher on High, or even on Ultra or Max settings as I want to get the full affect of the game. Currently due to funds I can only really upgrade one. Thanks for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Enarei View Post
    Hey Guys. I am not that computer savy and I was wondering which aspect of my computer I need to upgrade. Normally in game, on High, I run around 20 FPS. In a large Rift battle it drops down to around 8 or so FPS. My current Video Card is: Nvidia GeForce GT 240 and my current Processor is: Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66 GHz. I was wondering which of these I need to focus on updating to make my FPS higher on High, or even on Ultra or Max settings as I want to get the full affect of the game. Currently due to funds I can only really upgrade one. Thanks for the assistance.
    I would suggest upgrading the whole system, if not possible, try your GFX card.

Asus SABERTOOTH X58, Intel® Core™ i7 950 3.06GHz, Syncmaster 2333 23", Kingston HyperX 12GB DDR3 1333MHz NVidia GeForce GTX 570, Western Digital 1TB SATA3, Thermaltake Armor Plus, Enermax PRO82 625W, Windows 7 Ulti x64

Rift Disciple

This is what I am thinking about doing. Based on the info:

The game currently supports X-Fire and SLi, as well as multi-core processors...... but currently only supports DX9c...

I was looking to go I7/AMD (AMD because cheaper, etc.) But with AMD cpu coming out soon was thinking about waiting seeing what happens with prices/performance of new cpu's... Once they come out. So thought about this option because I really dont want to spend $2k building a new pc at this present time....

Current CPU: E6600 so Replace with: (cant go beyond C2D LGA775 because mobo doesnt allow)
    E8400 for 209.00 (australia prices in my area)
    Q9505 for 271.00 (australia prices in my area) **Rift supports multi-cores so this maybe worth the extra $62

Current GPU: 8800GTS 640MB:
    Wifes 8800GT just took a dump and she still plays WoW (only supports 2 cores) she is running an E8200, so replaced it with a Gainward GTX460 GS GLH for $245.00..... (she now plays on Ultra settings compared to fair and gets mid/upper 40's... So am planning to get another Gainward GTX460 GS GLH..... Once we upgrade our PC's next year or later.... we can use those two cards for SLI and get another GPU unless we wait more than 2 years to upgrade... lol

Anyways, in your situation and mine.... Pretty sure we need to upgrade both to get to ultra or close to ultra...
    Last edited by Maguson; 02-22-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Telaran

The processor should cope with the game.
    Like the previous poster said the graphics card should be you priority. Also try to get some RAM, my rig had 4GB and I saw it was a bit low. I've upgraded to 8GB and set my pagefile to 16MB and this way I'm forcing windows to work with the RAM instead of the virtual memory (is annoying to hear my HDDs making noise because windows has a bad I/O routines).
    The video card I have is a GTX460 from Palit; it is OC (Sonic Platinum) and runs great on High/Ultra settings.

I would also help to defragment your partitions every 2-3 months. In my experience over the years HDDs tend to get fragmented and if you say you are not a computer savy I doubt you invested into RAID drives or you'll invest in the newer SSD. Also it would be a good suggestion to have 2 HDDs, one for your operating systems and one for games and data and keep the defragmented.

Well any suggestions on what to upgrade to? I do not mean top of the line super expensive. But I don't want to be completely cheap either. I can upgrade one, then further down upgrade another. Like I said I can play on High with no real problem, save for large Rift Battles (Like 20+ on a Golem). Any suggestions for a moderate Processor and Video Card?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Maguson View Post
    This is what I am thinking about doing. Based on the info:

The game currently supports X-Fire and SLi, as well as multi-core processors...... but currently only supports DX9c...

I was looking to go I7/AMD (AMD because cheaper, etc.) But with AMD cpu coming out soon was thinking about waiting seeing what happens with prices/performance of new cpu's... Once they come out. So thought about this option because I really dont want to spend $2k building a new pc at this present time....

Current CPU: E6600 so Replace with: (cant go beyond C2D LGA775 because mobo doesnt allow)
    E8400 for 209.00 (australia prices in my area)
    Q9505 for 271.00 (australia prices in my area) **Rift supports multi-cores so this maybe worth the extra $62

Current GPU: 8800GTS 640MB:
    Wifes 8800GT just took a dump and she still plays WoW (only supports 2 cores) she is running an E8200, so replaced it with a Gainward GTX460 GS GLH for $245.00..... (she now plays on Ultra settings compared to fair and gets mid/upper 40's... So am planning to get another Gainward GTX460 GS GLH..... Once we upgrade our PC's next year or later.... we can use those two cards for SLI and get another GPU unless we wait more than 2 years to upgrade... lol

Anyways, in your situation and mine.... Pretty sure we need to upgrade both to get to ultra or close to ultra...
    I'd suggest Intel over AMD any day. I was an AMD fan, but my last 2 rigs were Intel and I can say I do not regret investing the extra bucks in them (I live in EU so here the difference is higher). If you go Intel I recommend NVidia and not ATI because of the driver stability and the awesome 3d Vision, but if you go AMD I highly suggest you pick and ATI GPU because now ATI belongs to AMD and it will work better that an nvidia.
    For the GPU if you chose NVidia GTX460 I'd recommend Palit Daytona Sonic Platinum 1024MB; it is factory OC and performs very well, it has good reviews and will hold it's ground for a while.

If you chose Intel stay away from their new socket (1155) because there are some flaws in it's designs that will not be fixed until August 2011; you can go with 1156 and maybe chose an I7 processor which will serve you for years.

Rift Disciple

Dont quote me but am pretty sure your E6700 and my E6600 would bottleneck most GPU's during Rift events...

I would suggest at least a GTX460, as I said above am pretty happy with the Gainward GS GLH version but am sure there are plenty of choices out there. I just got the best one instock at our current store...

As to CPU, like me, you may be limitted based on what your current motherboard supports...... most likely not being able to walk away from the C2D without a major mobo upgrade. So get the Q9505 or better... currently store near me in Brisbane only sells the Q9505 so not sure what else is available near your area or from Newegg if you do live in the USA.

As to how much you spend, thats entirely up to you mate. Good luck and enjoy your future upgrades!
    Last edited by Maguson; 02-22-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Telaran

Well any suggestions on what to upgrade to? I do not mean top of the line super expensive. But I don't want to be completely cheap either. I can upgrade one, then further down upgrade another. Like I said I can play on High with no real problem, save for large Rift Battles (Like 20+ on a Golem). Any suggestions for a moderate Processor and Video Card?
    Depends on you budget
    For GPU I'd say:
    http://www.amazon.com/Palit-GeForce-...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

For processor it's hard since your socket, LGA775, is old; you might have to upgrade processor, motherboard and possible the memory too.

Hey,

Is your rig a custom built machine or did you get it from a vendor like Dell or Gateway?
    Also, please provide additional information about your rig: Motherboard model, Operating system, and ram.

Do you have the most recent OS and video card drivers? How much HD space have you committed to page filing? In your graphics card profile do you have your settings set to quality or to performance?
    Last edited by Astrick; 02-22-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    CPU i7 970 @ 4.4GHz - Motherboard Rampage 3 Extreme - Memory 16GB Sector 7
    GPU MSI 6970s (crossfire/OC 950/1450) - SSDOCZ RevoDriveX2 PCI-Express - Win7 Ultimate 64x

+ Reply to Thread