+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift needs dx 11

Shadowlander

Exclamation Rift needs dx 11

I ordered a new dx 11 capable graphics card just for running the game on ultra with good fps... only to find out (after digging around) there's only direct x 9 support?! I realize it's just past beta, but I'd say dx 11 for performance boost of a more efficient rendering engine is a must asap! Even in WoW dx 11 gave ~30% boost in fps, not to mention a 2011 game like Rift should have it from launch!

What you guys think? Heard any news about the game supporting it or plans to?

Plane Touched

they use gamebryo engine, dont get your hopes up, that engine isnt very efficient.

And they sure as hell have other problems for the next year.

~30% Boost? Anything over 60FPS is overkill and you can't visually tell the difference (it's an online game).

Quote Originally Posted by zwimox View Post
    ~30% Boost? Anything over 60FPS is overkill and you can't visually tell the difference (it's an online game).
    I can tell the difference between 60 and 100. Stop making **** up.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tyestor View Post
    You must go mad watching a movie or watching TV, since they run at a constant 30 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Xurt View Post
    You must go mad watching a movie or watching TV, since they run at a constant 30 fps.
    I coulda sworn they were only like 24 FPS?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by zwimox View Post
    Get a 120MHz capable monitor and we'll talk then

Telaran

They won't because the majority of people have directx 9 only cards and they need to make money. An MMO will one day eventually leap to newer technologies but that is a few years off until they start making mainstream computers like dells and hps that come with directx 11 cards.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I can tell the difference between 60 and 100.
    On what hardware are you telling this difference? Not much outside of research labs has anything that'll do over 60Hz, maybe 70.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
    Get a 120MHz capable monitor and we'll talk then

MHz?

(Note that a lot of "120Hz" displays aren't really.)

Telaran

games doesnt magically run better because of dx11, many games even run better in dx10/9.

And about that "human eyes/60 30 or 24 whatever FPS".. cmon, just leave it alone.. if you ever played a first person shooter (or any other game for that matter), you would know its not true.

the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Feiyth View Post
    I coulda sworn they were only like 24 FPS?
    Movies are 24 FPS, video is 30 FPS (well actually 29.97 in the digital age, technical thing).

Only if your monitor has 100hz refresh rate, if not you can't tell anything different. Most people use LCD at 60hz (60FPS) so anything higher than 60fps is worthless and just epeen.
    Last edited by Galifrey; 02-22-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by BearODice View Post
    Movies are 24 FPS, video is 30 FPS (well actually 29.97 in the digital age, technical thing).
    also depends on country cause PAL in Australia runs at a different FPS to American NTSC

DX 11 is a technical overhaul of DX10. They optimized certain things and brought back tessellation (was in DX8 as well).

Rift is made using an "engine" which means all the graphics and network code has already been made. If you want to do what you suggest the best way to do it is from the ground up.
    Which means that the coders have to have knowledge enough to implement it within a setting where the world and players have a high enough framerate to be able to play if there more then say 40 people on screen without lagging everyone to death framerate wise.

You wont see any developer try this without any issue's coming from Age of Conan that was horrible even tho the graphics were good the performance was so slow sometimes that the DX10 part was not worth playing without it taking a nosedive framerate wise, not only that but some raiding content was crashing under DX10 as well.

The only parts you see in MMORPG is where they use DX10/11 for certain effects they cant do or take to much from DX9. So before you will see a whole engine using DX11it will be a good while.
    Last edited by Opteron-pv; 02-22-2011 at 03:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast