+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for advise

Soulwalker

Default Looking for advise

Hi everyone. I've decided to play Rift with some friends but during open beta my computer doesn't seem capable of preforming smoothly. The game is very choppy and near unplayable. I'm hoping upgrading my video card will fix this. Anywho, this is what I'm currently using. Should I upgrade the video card or something else. This is the only game I will be playing and do not wish to spend a lot of money. Thanks for any advise.

Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.50 GHz, 32 bit
    3 GB ram
    Intergrated video card -- Geforce 7050 620i
    Only using a 1280*1024 res
    No idea what my motherboard is..whatever came with it.

For anything significant, you're looking at a new computer. Frankly, those are pretty low end specs for modern gaming across the board.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    For anything significant, you're looking at a new computer. Frankly, those are pretty low end specs for modern gaming across the board.
    Pretty much.

However, you will see a very substantial gain in simply upgrading your graphics card. You are using an intergrated solution, and that in its self makes it amazing you could get into the game at all.

If you're on a budget and can't afford a whole new system, grab a graphics card and you will see a significant boost in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestahr View Post
    Pretty much.

However, you will see a very substantial gain in simply upgrading your graphics card. You are using an intergrated solution, and that in its self makes it amazing you could get into the game at all.

If you're on a budget and can't afford a whole new system, grab a graphics card and you will see a significant boost in performance.
    True enough, just keep in mind, OP, that after a certain point, your CPU is going to start bottlenecking your GPU for rendering, meaning after a certain level of quality in the card you choose, you will get no additional benefit.

That said, about any remotely modern dedicated card will give you a pretty significant boost for the short term.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

OP, your really gonna need to upgrade that machine of yours.

If you don't want to build yourself, try ibuypower.com or orgin.

Rift Disciple

on-board sucks, period.
    i recently played on a geforce 8800 on-board, with a quad core 3200mhz cpu, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram...
    and i STILL had to play it on the low-renderer setting.

if you can't install a PCIe x16 2.0/2.1 card on your current motherboard you are almost definitely looking at a computer upgrade.
    without knowing what motherboard you have, no one will be able to tell you what kind of graphics card you can upgrade to though.
    Last edited by Malformed; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll have more time tomorrow to figure out what motherboard I have. I won't be able to get a new comp for a bit so a graphics card will have to be my solution for now. Something around the 100.00 mark or so. I'll stop by a Future Shop this weekend or something. (Canada)

Soulwalker

My motherboard is a Acer MCP73VE. Any idea what video card will work with it? I found a ATI 9800 in my closet but it doesn't fit.

+ Reply to Thread